Best Books for an Intern going into Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanGopher

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that us MS4's have matched, I'm already starting to think about my intern year. Any advice from the residents or attendings regarding books that are particularly useful to interns going into anesthesia. Obviously, I expect to buy some sort book to help study for Step 3. Additionally, I've been advised that reading pure anesthesia text books (ex. Big Miller) is not high yield as an intern. But, I've also heard that a good anesthesia-related book that can/should be read as an intern is "Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease."

Any thoughts on books you would read during intern year if you had to do it all over again?

P.S. I'm doing a surgical intern year, if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice from the residents or attendings regarding books that are particularly useful to interns going into anesthesia.

3028.jpg

Now that us MS4's have matched, I'm already starting to think about my intern year. Any advice from the residents or attendings regarding books that are particularly useful to interns going into anesthesia. Obviously, I expect to buy some sort book to help study for Step 3. Additionally, I've been advised that reading pure anesthesia text books (ex. Big Miller) is not high yield as an intern. But, I've also heard that a good anesthesia-related book that can/should be read as an intern is "Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease."

Any thoughts on books you would read during intern year if you had to do it all over again?

My program director recommends The ICU Book. For preparation both during and after the intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything else? I also was wondering..keep 'em coming, thanks!

I do have Step up to Medicine, I'll make use of that... I also have my school's required reading "Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics" ...

I dont know if there's a difference or not (doubt it) but I matched categorical at a program that consists of 3 months medicine and 3 months surgery during intern year ...

Is the Stoelting book really good? I've heard mixed reviews so not sure...

Get step 3 out of the way as soon as possible. Get Marino ICU if you don't already have one. Otherwise, pay attention in rounds and read articles from journal clubs, upper level etc.. Most programs will buy you some anesthesia textbook when you start CA-1 year.

co-existing diseases and anesthesia learn medicine and anesthesia at the same time

What's the newest edition? Is it still the 3rd or is there a 4th edition out yet?

And do people still consider the best ICU book for interns/residents? Any other opinions on must-have books for interns going into anesthesiology? I will be doing a transitional year intern year.

As a surgical intern, I would stick to the medical management of patients. The surgical management wont be very high yield during anesthesia residency except various topics like trauma/fluid/SICU management. Don't waste time reading something like the technical aspects of billroth procedures.

For medical managment... Uptodate and pubmed is all you need. Learn how to utilize them. You'll learn that books become outdated very fast. For step 3, Kaplan Qbook + USMLEworld + first aid for step 3 (just memorize the case scenerios at the end). Don't even fuss with anesthesia until step 3 is out of the way, even then its pretty useless. If you don't use it, I guarantee you'll lose it. Your much better off saving your sanity and enjoying what little free time you'll have during your surgical intern year.

Reactions: 1 user