Best Externships for OMFS dreamers 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HandofJesu

Reaction score
Hey fellow OMFS dreamers, the 2019 application cycle is almost upon us.
Could people list best externships to check out before application cycle opens up !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Medstar is observorship. I'm pretty sure BU is the same.

These are some of the most hands on externships in no particular order which tend to be correlated with these programs being some of the fullest scope programs (Head/neck cancer, craniofacial, cosmetics, orthognathic surgery, trauma, etc.)
LSU Shreveport - Shreveport, Louisiana
LSU New Orleans - New Orleans, Louisiana
Alabama (UAB) - Birmingham, Alabama
Parkland - Dallas, Parkland

I would recommend externing where you want to go even if it is an observorship - it shows interest in the program. One externship at one of the full scope program is great to get exposure to all aspects of OMFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely recommend coming to LSU Shreveport. We have both a 4 and 6 year option, get the majority of facial trauma at a level 1, we are very OR heavy, have both cranio and oncology fellowships, have a resident point and pull clinic you can go crazy at, and likely do more flaps than any other OMFS program in the country (not positive on this so maybe we’re second...would love to hear if someone is doing more).

Check out our website for details.
externship program

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I did externships at USC, Parkland, LSUNO, and UAB. I enjoyed all of them a lot and am now a resident at Parkland. Our externs are in the clinic or OR and take call with the residents (we usually won't make you stay overnight on a tooth call night or will call you if something comes in). I haven't been to LSUShreveport but have heard great things about their externship.

I recommend going to programs you are genuinely interested in. Externships are important for applicants to know what each program does in terms of scope, how much the residents operate/do in the OR, and get a vibe of the culture. Of course you want to pull teeth, do some tori reduction, and get your hands dirty, but you WILL do it day in and day out as an intern and should use the opportunity to learn about where you want to train. Ultimately, I got interviews where I did externships and was able to talk about my experience.

My experiences:
LSU NO was amazing. I was able to stay in the University Hospital at the time which was prior to the new hospital opening. Lived in the hospital call room for two weeks and really enjoyed the program culture, scope and how much they did. Cons were the city which I didn't spend much time in.

Parkland was awesome. I had to get an airbnb which was an added expense, we don't have externs stay in the call room. I was able to spend half the time in the clinic and half the time in the OR. Was able to do some stuff in the OR which was great too. Cons are mentioned above with having to pay for a place, but ultimately I ranked it one and matched; and am very happy with my choice.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship and Externship

USC was a busy outpatient clinic and where I went to dental school. I was able to take teeth out and enjoyed that experience, and had a place to stay since it was close to home. The cons would be having to pay for a place to stay as well.

UAB also had a placed to stay (old abandoned call rooms in the tower). Their resident clinic is attached to the dental school clinic and had a lot of opportunity to get my hands dirty. Also got a lot of face time with faculty since they were there in the clinic as well. I enjoyed Birmingham a ton and they had amazing residents who really taught me a lot, eventually letting me stay in one of their condos which was really cool.

I've noticed a trend of more and more people does one week externships, I personally think two weeks is a better idea if you have genuine interest in the program you're going to. If you just want to see as many places as possible, one week would give you the flexibility. But it's hard to be as impressive in just one week in my opinion.

I would personally recommend any of the above and am happy to answer DM's about my experience.

Last edited:
At Baylor externs can do procedures in the clinic. they also generally take a few days of call with residents, go to the OR to observe, and observe/do simple ED procedures.

Based on what I hear from rotating externs, these places get you involved and are "hands-on" (someone correct me if things have changed):
- Maryland
- Parkland
- UNC
- LSU
- UAB

There are a lot more good ones out there, I just don't know about them.

I have UAB coming up in Few weeks and will let you know how that goes !

Emory was very hands on!!! Very supportive team they have out there.

San Antonio was a very good one! . Residents are awesome and Dr Perez is also awesome

I would definitely recommend coming to LSU Shreveport. We have both a 4 and 6 year option, get the majority of facial trauma at a level 1, we are very OR heavy, have both cranio and oncology fellowships, have a resident point and pull clinic you can go crazy at, and likely do more flaps than any other OMFS program in the country (not positive on this so maybe we’re second...would love to hear if someone is doing more).

Check out our website for details.
externship program
You have my attention.

Agree with the above. I did externships at USC, Parkland, LSUNO, and UAB. I enjoyed all of them a lot and am now a resident at Parkland. Our externs are in the clinic or OR and take call with the residents (we usually won't make you stay overnight on a tooth call night or will call you if something comes in). I haven't been to LSUShreveport but have heard great things about their externship.

I recommend going to programs you are genuinely interested in. Externships are important for applicants to know what each program does in terms of scope, how much the residents operate/do in the OR, and get a vibe of the culture. Of course you want to pull teeth, do some tori reduction, and get your hands dirty, but you WILL do it day in and day out as an intern and should use the opportunity to learn about where you want to train. Ultimately, I got interviews where I did externships and was able to talk about my experience.

My experiences:
LSU NO was amazing. I was able to stay in the University Hospital at the time which was prior to the new hospital opening. Lived in the hospital call room for two weeks and really enjoyed the program culture, scope and how much they did. Cons were the city which I didn't spend much time in.

Parkland was awesome. I had to get an airbnb which was an added expense, we don't have externs stay in the call room. I was able to spend half the time in the clinic and half the time in the OR. Was able to do some stuff in the OR which was great too. Cons are mentioned above with having to pay for a place, but ultimately I ranked it one and matched; and am very happy with my choice.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship and Externship

USC was a busy outpatient clinic and where I went to dental school. I was able to take teeth out and enjoyed that experience, and had a place to stay since it was close to home. The cons would be having to pay for a place to stay as well.

UAB also had a placed to stay (old abandoned call rooms in the tower). Their resident clinic is attached to the dental school clinic and had a lot of opportunity to get my hands dirty. Also got a lot of face time with faculty since they were there in the clinic as well. I enjoyed Birmingham a ton and they had amazing residents who really taught me a lot, eventually letting me stay in one of their condos which was really cool.

I've noticed a trend of more and more people does one week externships, I personally think two weeks is a better idea if you have genuine interest in the program you're going to. If you just want to see as many places as possible, one week would give you the flexibility. But it's hard to be as impressive in just one week in my opinion.

I would personally recommend any of the above and am happy to answer DM's about my experience.

Very informative. Thank you for taking your time to write this out!

UAB was my favorite externship! The residents were all extremely friendly and they had OR cases going every single day on top of running so many sedations every day as well. They let their first year interns do full IV sedations after they take a course in June. I thought that was pretty cool! Kentucky might have been the only other place I heard of doing that. I would highly recommend.

I went to northeast programs where they were more hands off but UAB was definitely a great first externship.

If you come to UAB, come during their face trauma coverage days to get hands deep in suturing and how to do exams with new consults.
UAB OMFS covers face trauma on days 8-14 and 22-end of month every month.
All other programs are great as well. Extern where you want to be. Enjoy.

Emory OMFS covers facial trauma every third night at the five hospitals covered by our program. Externs will be in the OR (often to hold sticks) and will also extract teeth and perform other procedures under local anesthesia at the Grady clinic. Externs will also be able to perform/assist bedside procedures in the ED.

Personally, I externed at BU, Loma Linda, Baylor, and Montefiore. I had a blast at all of them (it was so nice to get away from the BS of dental school). The externs we've had at Emory so far have had great experiences. I'd recommend externing at programs you have potential interest in as most will have limited time (and therefore places to become familiar with). Good luck to you all, and enjoy!

Reactions: 2 users