This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emptysequencee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a sophomore at university and I am on the pre-pharmacy track. I am a chemistry and psychology major (also a prospective biology minor due to successful completion of pre-pharmacy pre-requisites simultaneously completing a biology minor at my institution).

I want to be sure that I am adequately prepared for the PCAT since I plan on taking it next year (January 2018). I want to start reviewing now but most people consider it to be too early? Perhaps due to the retention span between now and then? I have read previous forums and threads of students reviewing or have reviewed as early as 3 months to two weeks before the test!

I have taken general chemistry I and II/ L, Gen Bio I and II/ L, and pre-calculus. This summer I will take Organic chemistry I, calculus, statistics, and genetics. For the fall, I will take Physiology, Cell Biology, and Organic chemistry II.

However, I will not be able to enroll into Biochemistry and Microbiology until successful completion of Organic Chemistry II. Since I plan on taking Biochemistry, Anatomy, and Microbiology the same semester I plan on taking the PCAT, how much of a significance would it play on the PCAT that I have not yet taken these three courses?

I am very well equipped with time management skills. Sometimes I would even stay up at night to review, study, do homework, plan events, etc. I enjoy staying busy.. So the amount of time to spend per day preparing for the PCAT on top of my course work load does not entirely concern me...

I apologize for writing such a lengthy discussion, but I do want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read and respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely wouldn't bother starting until you finish OChem1. I studied for like 2 weeks and was fine. You could probably start in November or December and be fine.

Studied a month before and got a 90 composite with 97s in both my sciences. I would highly recommend investing in the Pearson practices tests, as those resembled the real test the most. You do not need biochemistry, but you will need good knowledge on organic, especially SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc. Micro and anatomy on the exam were substantial, but not significant.

A lot of people focus on the sciences on the PCAT, which you should of course be aware of...but math is also a good chunk of the exam. I did poorly in it because i was ill-prepared to work efficiently. The math was not hard, but it involved good practice and time management. I had extra time left in my bio and chem section but I was rushing, clicking through random answers, to finish the math.

Members don't see this ad :)
Studied a month before and got a 90 composite with 97s in both my sciences. I would highly recommend investing in the Pearson practices tests, as those resembled the real test the most. You do not need biochemistry, but you will need good knowledge on organic, especially SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc. Micro and anatomy on the exam were substantial, but not significant.

A lot of people focus on the sciences on the PCAT, which you should of course be aware of...but math is also a good chunk of the exam. I did poorly in it because i was ill-prepared to work efficiently. The math was not hard, but it involved good practice and time management. I had extra time left in my bio and chem section but I was rushing, clicking through random answers, to finish the math.
Did some of the same questions appear on the PCAT from the Pearson practice tests?

Did some of the same questions appear on the PCAT from the Pearson practice tests?

While I can't say that due to a signed agreement, I can say they are similar and will prepare you better than any other book. I've tried some Dr. Collins and Kaplan. Dr. Collins > Kaplan. But Pearson practice tests > Collins >>>> Kaplan

Reactions: 1 user