This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken biochem 1 at my university and received an A. I believe I have a pretty solid understanding of all the material in it. Should I take biochem 2 as well? Or would it be unnecessary? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken biochem 1 at my university and received an A. I believe I have a pretty solid understanding of all the material in it. Should I take biochem 2 as well? Or would it be unnecessary? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can I just get something off my chest? I have no idea what topics are covered in Biochem 1 at your university, or are covered in Biochem 2. The only ones who would are you and anyone else who goes to your university. My university had different levels of biochem classes and we were in a quarter system so our courses would be different. So I'm not sure how anyone on here could answer it without having gone to your university as well.

On to constructive information:
There is a list of biochem topics on the AAMC site and in the Official Guide to the MCAT. List of topics for every section actually. I find that the website is rather clunky, I would recommend getting the Official Guide. It's a cheap reference and tons of questions can be answered just by reading it. Refer to those sources and identify if you have knowledge gaps from biochem 1 that would be filled by biochem 2.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/

Biochem can be self-taught if the individual is skilled and highly motivated, so if there are only minor gaps, then you may be able to fill them yourself. Also consider the stance that generally college courses are more in depth than what the MCAT requires.

Reactions: 1 users