This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoky16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am applying to dental schools this year and most of them require biochemistry. During my undergrad years I was unabe to take biochemistry at my school. I have a community college near me that offers Intro to Biochemistry (CHM 260) If I take this course at the CC in person can it fulfill my pre-req? The next closest 4 year school is 2 hours away from me.

Any recommedations on how to get my Biochemistry pre-req done?

The CC offers both online and in person CHM 260. I have not looked into many online courses but have looked into UNE online biochem and heard really bad reviews about it. I am not looking for the easy way out, I just need to get my pre-req fulfilled.

Members don't see this ad.

You could maybe do biochem online at a 4-year university. That might look better. Biochem that's required for dental schools doesn't include lab so it's really just info you need to learn

Some dental schools (Tufts, BU, Temple, maybe others) don't take CC credits for pre-reqs, and most other schools prefer (not require) pre-reqs to be done at 4-year colleges/universities. However, as long as you don't plan on applying to those few schools and you have taken most of your classes at a 4-year institution, you shouldn't be in too much trouble. The online option sounds better - but your best bet is always to email the schools you want to apply to and ask them what they think :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it online at UNE, about $1500 (can't remember exact cost). It's a semester long course but can go at your own pace. I took a few weeks. It allowed me to apply and receive acceptances. It was very well organized and their customer service is great-- you never wait on hold and they mail transcripts for free.

Some dental schools (Tufts, BU, Temple, maybe others) don't take CC credits for pre-reqs, and most other schools prefer (not require) pre-reqs to be done at 4-year colleges/universities. However, as long as you don't plan on applying to those few schools and you have taken most of your classes at a 4-year institution, you shouldn't be in too much trouble. The online option sounds better - but your best bet is always to email the schools you want to apply to and ask them what they think :)

From what I understand all schools take pre-reqs from a CC as long as you took a course in a University that is of a higher discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I still don't understand why dental schools still even accept CC credits lol

I still don't understand why dental schools still even accept CC credits lol
While it's hard to compare people that come from undergraduate it's even harder to compare CC school. The one CC school I went to is supposed to be a very good one but I still think it's waaaay easier than my 4year college

From what I understand all schools take pre-reqs from a CC as long as you took a course in a University that is of a higher discipline.

If you look at the official ADEA guide to dental schools (highly recommend buying it), it states whether each university accepts CC credits, for pre requisites or electives. The schools I listed don't accept CC credits for pre reqs. You're welcome to look it up yourself.

I took it online at UNE, about $1500 (can't remember exact cost). It's a semester long course but can go at your own pace. I took a few weeks. It allowed me to apply and receive acceptances. It was very well organized and their customer service is great-- you never wait on hold and they mail transcripts for free.
What class did you take?