Biochemistry before DAT? Tough Schedule Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am taking the DAT next summer, my sophomore summer. I have already taken
Gen Chem I and II
Biology I and II
Medical Terminology

I am registering for classes for next semester in a a few days and needed some help.
Should I take Biochemistry before my DAT? If so, I would have to take organic chemistry I over the summer and the teacher is very bad and hard from what everyone has said. Also, its a lot of money for summer classes.
If I don't take summer classes and Biochemistry, I would be taking these during the fall
Genetics
Orgo I
A&P I
internship 3 credits
and there during the winter
Orgo II
A&P II
Microbio
Cell and Molec
Studying for the DAT for the summer when i Take it

What are your guys opinions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With your current schedule, you'll hit the most important classes you need to take before the DAT. Biochemistry would be nice, but it's not necessary.
In my opinion, you should be fine taking the DAT without a biochemistry background. You do need to have taken organic chemistry, so make sure you have a solid understanding of ochem from your undergrad courses. It will make reviewing for the DAT much easier.
Thank You so much guys! I appreciate it. Last questions.
1. When did you start studying for the DAT, vigorously and just reviewing material?
2. Based on my schedule above, would it be better to take microbio or cell and molec instead of the internship course first semester so that second semester I would only be taking 12 credits and can study for the DAT?

I would take cell and molecular biology. I am on my second week studying the DAT following Ari's study schedule and keep telling myself I wish I paid more attention in molecular biology class. I honestly think that is the most important bio class for the DAT. And I am only taking ochem II with lab and studying for the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying around the end of March and took the exam end of June. I think both courses are pretty useful, and the content overlaps a little. I think cell and molecular biology would benefit you a little more.

What about Biochemistry? The 2016 Destroyer has way more biochemistry questions than ever. I think there's a reason for that, just saying. Orgoman has been in the game for a long time.

I started studying around the end of March and took the exam end of June. I think both courses are pretty useful, and the content overlaps a little. I think cell and molecular biology would benefit you a little more.
Well I would be taking all of those classes listed, but it's the order is the question. Do I take microbio or cell and molec first semester or take the internship first semester and then both those classes second semester before my DAT?

I studied from june 1st to aug 22nd (my test date). I studied for about 5 hours a day with about one or two rest days a week, except for the last 3 weeks before my test where I studied around 7-8 hours a day. Check out breakdowns in order to get a feel of how and what materials to study.

What about Biochemistry? The 2016 Destroyer has way more biochemistry questions than ever. I think there's a reason for that, just saying. Orgoman has been in the game for a long time.

That DAT exam has many Biochemistry related questions. Topics include, glycolysis, TCA cycle, electron transport system, enzymatic processes,photosynthesis, O2 transport, classical experiments involving DNA and oxidative processes. In any general biology course these topics are heavily integrated and it would be a mistake not to master them. Taking Biochemistry would be helpful, but not necessary because the Destroyer has covered what you need for the exam.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user