This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know there are a few of these questions on the forum, but I had a question sort of specific to my own:

I don't have a stellar GPA(~3.2) at the moment and am struggling financially as well. And I just transferred to a 4yr university. I am given two choices: Biochem major with Bio double major which will take me 3 years to graduate(since biochem will take me 3 yrs anyways), OR Biology major with Biochem minor which will take me 2 years.

My passion and dream and hope is to get into Medical school like many here, and I am also going to start looking into lab works and EC's soon, but which will help me better in my long run to be that person to get into med school? Will taking Biochem and working HARD for 3 years in it(i.e. more and harder courses and money to spend) help me more in that phase when i apply OR will taking Bio and just sailing relatively easily while doing other ECs and focusing on getting all As on those from now be better?

Due to some troubles in the past, my GPA has taken a hit so I might have to do Graduate school after my graduation to raise my GPA which might help more with med school admission?
So ultimately, what do you suggest? I need to register for classes today and am pretty lost and thought of asking here.
Thanks for reading this and helping me in my life, stranger!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest the latter, where you do well in the courses in the bio major (and biochem minor), saving money and time. If you do well in those classes, and do ECs, you should be fine.
Also, your GPA isn't that bad. If you ace these next few years, you'll be in great shape!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bluntly, your major does not matter in terms of providing an advantage for medical school matriculation. You can literally be a med student with a history major. What the actual major reads on your degree will matter little with regards to medical school admissions, especially between the two options you have listed. A minor will have little, if any, impact on your future.

Long term debt, however, matters quite significantly in the short and long term regardless of future aspirations. I would recommend more biochemistry emphasis, because this is what is emphasized on the new MCAT, but take the shorter route to graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntly, your major does not matter in terms of providing an advantage for medical school matriculation. You can literally be a med student with a history major. What the actual major reads on your degree will matter little with regards to medical school admissions, especially between the two options you have listed. A minor will have little, if any, impact on your future.

Long term debt, however, matters quite significantly in the short and long term regardless of future aspirations. I would recommend more biochemistry emphasis, because this is what is emphasized on the new MCAT, but take the shorter route to graduation.
Just like you do not need a pyschology degree to do well in the pysch section you dont need a minor in Biochem to do well in the B/B section. If this logic is to be believed people should be quadruple majoring in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Pyschology with a minors in english, math and sociology.
Three pieces of advice

1. Your Major does not matter. Pick one that has a good Plan B built into it and provides you with the ability to have a good GPA and something you enjoy.

2. Your GPA is not done yet- Straight A's from here on out will send a positive message and bring you into the acceptable range for MD schools. A good MCAT performance will also give a boost.

3.If you just transferred from a CC with 3.3 you will need to change your study habits and focus on school.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever is easier and lower cost.

1) Your major doesn't give you an advantage when you try to get into medical school
2) Your major doesn't give you an advantage when you are in medical school

I don't know what the requirements for a Biochem are at your school, but it will most likely involve some higher level chemistry and potentially Physical Chemistry.

PChem is a very difficult course and can weigh down your GPA.

Also, if you kill it in the back half of your undergrad you can end up with a 3.6 which won't limit you (assuming you are half way through your credit load).