Board Certification in Psychiatry

Started by Anasazi23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will take the sleep boards next year, if I get this done. I started the application for sleep boards and went through until the payment option. Just waiting to be certified in Psych. They are not consistent with several things like sending emails to some, making the sub-specialty applications for some and ignoring some...

I think it may be a good idea to give the choice to each individual program to pass or fail their residents based on their performance throughout the 4 years of their residency
or
Completely reforming the board exam by taking off all the unnecessary crap and make it more relatable to our current practice guidelines.
and
they need to change their IT/admin team
 
They don't need to change their team they need to upgrade their hardware and pay for better bandwidth. I guarantee you the bulk of money is spent on administrative overhead with a minority spent on maintenance and testing.
 
They don't need to change their team they need to upgrade their hardware and pay for better bandwidth. I guarantee you the bulk of money is spent on administrative overhead with a minority spent on maintenance and testing.
Completely agree with you
 
For reviewing past posts it seems like the applications have no correlation to passing or not, is that other folks understanding?
 
Anyone who did not have the available applications for subspecialties? I curious to know if there is a pattern. Please post here if you have the subspecialty options available or not. We can keep track of the pass or fail also. If we are able to decode, this may help the future participants with their anxiety..lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, is there any correlation between the ability to apply for subspecialties and not being able to see the option?
 
I didn't get my scores yet and took the child psych exam. Did anyone get subspecialty scores back?
I also don’t see results for CAP. However, if I download my Continuing Certification Status Certificate it says I’m certified in both psych and CAP. I don’t trust this site until I see the real thing, but it’s encouraging!
 
I also don’t see results for CAP. However, if I download my Continuing Certification Status Certificate it says I’m certified in both psych and CAP. I don’t trust this site until I see the real thing, but it’s encouraging!
Hopefully they are putting in all the subspecialty scores as we speak. Unfortunately, mine only says certified in adult psych.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wooo! I am board certified.

Here it is folks...

n=1

I did not study A SINGLE MINUTE for the exam. I walked into the testing center, passed, and moved on with my life.

If you are a resident who does well on PRITEs, then you DO NOT need to study for this exam.

Cheers
Agree, passed, was good on PRITEs. I did study (Kenney and Speigel only) but I don’t think it made a difference.
 
Like, one or two questions would have made the difference hairline.
I'm sorry bro. This is such absolute bull****, especially since we had to wait 13-weeks. IMO if you really don't need the board cert maybe just not do it. Idk what more experienced people think. This whole thing is a scam. We're not forgetting:
a) How HORRIBLE the exam was, especially with PRITE-tier, BAD, irrelevant questions (at least USMLE had decent questions)
b) The wait time
c) The smugness in response to the wait times
 
No. Missed by a hairline. Feeling pretty defeated right now.
Sorry to hear that. I was in that boat last few years. I studied everything what I can but I was not able to make it multiple times. I was not a great test taker but was never bad. I felt I can not make it and may have to continue with out certification. But I passed. If I can, anyone can. All the best.
 
No. Missed by a hairline. Feeling pretty defeated right now.
I have been there the last 3 times. Words cannot explain the hurt. But you can do this. Stay strong. It is an absolutely nonsense exam that beats you down for no reason. In my opinion, beat the boards is a very bad prep course. I don’t think it helped me even a bit.
I took the exam without studying anything at all on the first try. Second try i did BTB and scored the exact same as without studying.
Board Vitals + Kenny and Spiegel is what did it for me.
You got this!
 
Isn't it valid for 10 years? Why they say 2025-2027? My certification also says it is valid until Dec 31, 2027. Is it same for all?
Thats if you are doing the exam recertification. If you are doing article pathway, it's every 3 years. There is an option on Portal where you can switch.
 
I also don’t see results for CAP. However, if I download my Continuing Certification Status Certificate it says I’m certified in both psych and CAP. I don’t trust this site until I see the real thing, but it’s

I also don’t see results for CAP. However, if I download my Continuing Certification Status Certificate it says I’m certified in both psych and CAP. I don’t trust this site until I see the real thing, but it’s encouraging!
Is it saying that "you're certified in both psych and CAP," or it says that "you're complying with the standards for continuing certification in Psych and CAP"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is what I have on my home page. Above that there was a green colored box, which says information about ABCC (Article Based CC) but no links available
 
I did K&S, Board Vitals. In the last month, I did Truelearn also but was not able to complete the question bank. I felt that K&S was very helpful. I failed the exam few times and I can see that the questions were different this year and felt that I failed again. Also, I felt there were lot of questions which you don't find in any question banks, particularly questions about Neurology/Neurobiology, psychotherapy, research studies/stats. I think, if you are strong in DSM, psychopharmacology, basic neurology and ethics, you should be good.