Boston University Decisions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any more letters?

Members don't see this ad.

I also received a waiting list letter today.

I got a waitlist letter on Thursday as well, hoping for lots of movement and fast. I'm definitely tired of waiting.

Congrats to all those who got in or waitlisted. BU gets a lot of applicants so its no small feat!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my waitlist letter today too.

So let's see... that makes a grand total of... 2 waitlists, 2 schools to still hear from, 1 UCLA interview that's not even till April, and oh yeah - ZERO acceptances.

I can't even begin to explain just how completely frustrated, exhausted, and depressed this whole process has managed to make me feel.

Hey guys. I got a waitlist letter a few days ago too. Congratz to us because BU is a tough school with plenty of qualified applicants. I think I am going to decline the waitlist, hopefully that it will make it easier for any of you that really want BU.

Twizzlers, I know how you feel. Hang in there. You sound like you are getting some good interviews/waitlists. At the very worst, you can take a year off, which is NOT that bad at all.

Good luck everybody!

I got an acceptance. I'm declining it though. How big is there waitlist? I mean is like 50 or 100 students? Does anyone know? It seems like it might be small.

I've decided against BU before I was accepted because I'm off to NYU. I like BU. Finanical Aid there is weak, I've heard. You'll come out with tons of debt. Honestly, I'd choose my state school over BU too. The goal is to attend the best school you can and come out with as little debt as possible. BU is good, but some of these private schools aren't worth the money. Top 20 schools are worth the money. Top 30 maybe. BU is like 40. Go state if you get it. Not to mention, living in Boston is crazy expensive. NYC city is too, but my family has housing in the city. I wish everyone tons of luck during this stressful process.

Again, how big is the waitlist there?

Thanks for the words of encouragement, mseider. Good luck to you too. :)
About the waitlist question... I'm not sure myself. I remember Dean Witzburg mentioning on my interview day how worried he would get during the late summers because the waitlist would be getting so small. He also said something about not being worried if you're put on a waitlist because it's small and they end up taking so many people off of it since many go elsewhere due to BU's cost.

Ideally, I would probably prefer a UC school myself, but seeing as I won't hear back from them till end of April/May, I would've really liked to have one acceptance at this point. But I guess it'll be more waiting instead.

Hey twizzlers, 5 interviews is pretty impressive... I only received 2 interviews, with 1 acceptance (albany) and 1 waitlist (BU now).

Statstically there is like a less than 10% chance you don't in at any out of the 5 schools. You will probably have to make a choice between multiple schools in fact. Good luck to you and congratulations again!!!

Thanks kingcer0x. Three of the five are UCs, so I really hope they'll show this cali girl some love. :D And congrats to you on Albany! :) :thumbup:

Wow, got rejected yesterday. I was under the impression that I had my best interview at BU. Good luck to all those who got accepted, irrespective of its average ranking BU appeared to be a good place for clinical medicine.

Hi. I got waitlisted too. I was just wondering if anyone wants to volunteer and call Boston to see how many people are on the waitlist. I swear I would do it but ..........(fill in your own excuse)

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a waitlist letter....the funny thing is I already withdrew from there. Maybe it's their way of saying, "We didn't want you anyway." :laugh:

Just call, you don't have to give a name. Call and say, "Hi, I'm currently waitlisted. I was wondering how large the waitlist is and how many people generally get accepted off of the waitlist."

Okay so I called them anonymously and asked:

Q: Can you answer a couple of questions about the waitlist?
A: I can try

Q: How many people are on the waitlist this year?
A: 'a couple hundred'

Q: Have acceptances been given out only to fill the 100 or so open seats in the class?
A: Yes

Q: Is there any chance of finding out before May 15th?
A: No, as it says in the letter

Q: Purple Hearts or Yellow Clovers?
A: (click) ...

A couple hundred? So, like 200 hundred people are on there waitlist? That's not a small list, is it? I thought they said they kept a small waitlist. Hmm, that does seem like good news for you guys. Sorry.

I wonder how many people in each class are from the waitlist. I wonder what your chances are? Do you think maybe like 50 or so people are offered seats.

I read somewhere that last year, BU gave out 285 acceptances for the 150 or so seats in the class. So that means that ~235 acceptances were given out when you discount the combined programs. Right now, it seems like only a 100 or so are out, so 135 are still to come from a waitlist of 200 people. I'm sure alot of people will pull out of the waitlist before May 15th if they get accepted somewhere else they want to go, so it looks like we have a decent enough chance...

...but some of us will be left out, its inevitable

Thanks so much for finding out that information kingcer0x. I wonder though if the 200 is the number of people they offer a waitlist to, or if it's the number of people they're estimating will choose to remain on the waitlist. Since not everyone they offer a waitlist spot to will actually write the letter to remain on it - I can easily see the waitlist dropping to 160 or 150 or maybe more when people who've already been accepted elsewhere decline their waitlist invites. So you're right, we might have a pretty decent chance. :)

Twiz, I'll trade you my BU acceptance for any CA acceptance... do we have a deal? :laugh:

Hmmm...

Ok, how about this instead? :idea: If I manage to get into UCLA, then you can have any acceptance I may get at either UC Irvine or UC Davis. (assuming I get any!)

Does that work? :D

Originally posted by twizzlers
Hmmm...

Ok, how about this instead? :idea: If I manage to get into UCLA, then you can have any acceptance I may get at either UC Irvine or UC Davis. (assuming I get any!)

Does that work? :D

Sounds good! But you won't need BU then! Cheater!! :laugh:

how much is the tuition at BU med? because my sister just interviewed at the dental school (she loved it there) and the budget was something like 70,000 a year!!! not only that, but the deposit is 3,000!

38,000 tuition

17,000 Living :wow:

What can I do, right?

just got my waitlist letter in the mail- funny thing is it was dated MARCH 16TH, and it says i have 4 days to respond! ha! funnier thing is I never wrote back a letter of interest after the deferral letter in january, so i dont get why i wasnt rejected- now im having second thoughts - maybe they really really want me?? i wonder if they accept people who dont right back a letter of interest

anyhoo, i loved BU, but would you pick it over your state school? mine's maryland - if it wasnt the money, i prob'ly would say yes, since its BOSTON, and they have some awesome programs- p/f, elective rotations all over the country and world, MD/MPH, etc, but is it worth an extra 20k a year??

does BU ever give scholarships

whats a boy to do :)

Originally posted by biffbuddy
whats a boy to do :)

I don't know, but I can tell you what a man is supposed to do... :laugh: j/k... I was looking in my MSAR and saw that U of Maryland is just 10,000 :wow: Could it be? You're also forgetting that BU tution may be 20,000 more, but living is another 17,000. I'm willing to take my chances with the debt for a great school.

Choose whatever will help you realize your goals to the fullest!!

I got my waitlist letter today too and it was dated 3/17!
And I live like 10 blocks away!

I'm on the fence too about staying in Boston (Tufts or potentially BU) or going to UVa...But Virginia isn't quite as cheap as UMd.

tortuous decisions!

That is weird. My wait list letter was dated 3/19 and I received it on 3/20. I live about 3 miles from BU. I wonder what their system of sending out letters is?

Money is a big decision. I'd take Maryland. When you're still paying off your education in ten years, you might think about your decision. Boston is a good school, but is it worth the money. Your residency is truly what counts, I believe. Go to a good school, come out with as little debt as possible, and then shoot for the best residency you can get.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
38,000 tuition

17,000 Living

What can I do, right?

You can live comfortably in Boston in a nice neighborhood for less than 10,000 dollars a year provided you are willing to live with 2 others in a 3bed or something.

Originally posted by kingcer0x
You can live comfortably in Boston in a nice neighborhood for less than 10,000 dollars a year provided you are willing to live with 2 others in a 3bed or something.

Nice! I thought the msar estimates were a bit excessive. They include car expenses too. Is the 10K just rent?

Actually, my living expenses this year were combined ~10k. That isnt including car insurance, and my car is already paid for. Here's my breakdown per month:

Rent: $500
utilities, cell phone, tv, internet, etc...: $100
Food: $200
total: $9600

Off of that, i probably spend an additional 100 per month on entertainment + extra food + beer. As a med student, this is realistic, cause you will be busy.

total: $10800

However, i live in a 4 bed, 2 bath in Allston, not the south end. This offsets the costs of supplies and such, but provides for a VERY communal lifestyle.

This was my year long budget, and I have saved a TON of money while working even though this place is so costly. Plus, you can work during the summer to get the extra cash for all the nice things us humans crave.

Congratulations on your BU acceptance by the way!

Thanks for the wonderful info! So, you have a car, but do you drive it to school? I was told there is no parking and that I would have to use public transportation. How far do you live from the school and is it hard to get there from where you live (esp when it snows)?

Also, what kind of summer job are you talking about?

Hey, I also live in Boston, but in Kenmore Sq with a current BU student and a working type person. Our rent is $750 each and that's pretty good for Boston proper...

Most of the people I know at BUSM live either in Cambridge (Central Sq), South End (in harrison ct, or apartment) or somewhere close to Mass Ave so you can take the #1 bus straight to school (like Kenmore). There are a few who live near the main BU campus and I'm not sure how they get to school...There is VERY little parking on/near campus. (my boyfriend lives across the street and rents his space to someone for $200/month!)

Having a car is definitely possible but you'll pay for it. There are about 8 "free" unrestricted street spots by school that I know of and they're rarely open. And I think the BU garage has a long long waitlist. You can always rent someone's personal spot monthly or feed meters that are frequently open.

I wish I had the restraint to spend only $200/month on food. It would make my bank account a lot fatter, but with all the great eateries around, it's pretty hard for me to stay on a budget like that...

kingcer0x: do you cook a lot or something?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE boston though!

Originally posted by kingcer0x
Actually, my living expenses this year were combined ~10k. That isnt including car insurance, and my car is already paid for. Here's my breakdown per month:

Rent: $500
utilities, cell phone, tv, internet, etc...: $100
Food: $200
total: $9600

Off of that, i probably spend an additional 100 per month on entertainment + extra food + beer. As a med student, this is realistic, cause you will be busy.

total: $10800

However, i live in a 4 bed, 2 bath in Allston, not the south end. This offsets the costs of supplies and such, but provides for a VERY communal lifestyle.

This was my year long budget, and I have saved a TON of money while working even though this place is so costly. Plus, you can work during the summer to get the extra cash for all the nice things us humans crave.

Congratulations on your BU acceptance by the way!

I think this is the ideal situation, but more likely it will be like at least 15K and what about a car? Don't you need a car eventually at BU too?

I am interested in buying a house where-ever I go. What areas are nice and somewhat affordable near BU, I won't be able to afford more than $350K?

I know a couple of people looking around S. End now for places. you could get a 1 BR for around that much. no parking though. I'm thinking you should start looking right away because prices are going up ridiculously fast...

People have also looked in the Fenway area, along Washington St. (SoWa area) there are a ton of new condos being built and even Cambridge (where you can bigger places with parking)

Get in contact with a broker so you can get access to the LINK database that lists current places.

Brookline is a nice area, although the houses are probably greater than 350K. It is also easy to get to the BU Med campus from Brookline via public tranportation.

You're right, my situation is kind of ideal... We waited til the last minute to get a place and got a great deal. The housing market bottomed out last year. More than likely you will have to fork over 700/month for a single bedroom, but you can EASILY sublet over the summer (i have done this 3 times) and get a cheaper place (ive seen 4 bedrooms for 1600, so 400 a month) or go home for the first few summers. 9 months of expensive living isnt as bad.

As far as a car... if you convert to Mass registration, you are eligible for Resident parking permits which in my neighborhood is 35 a month. Parking at BUMC is 160 a month unless you can get the resident slots a few blocks away (you'd need a south end resident sticker, meaning you would live in the south end anyway and that kind of defeats the purpose of driving), feed a meter, or look for private spots (100/month). I think you can get by without driving the first two years and just buy a T pass to get to campus. The car comes in handy when you do your rotations at various Boston hospitals.

rent: 700
transportation fees: 80 (average number)
food: 200
utilities, phone, internet, tv: 100

=12,960/yr

(still beats 17k!)

Actually, I do cook 4 times a week, but I have a nice job right now so I can afford to eat out a bunch. Even in a month where I ate out all the time, I didnt spend more than like 300 for the month.

Its all about the lifestyle you are used to... Ive been getting all the big spending out of the way now so I can adopt a more frugal lifestyle next year. :cool:

hi, for you guys who wrote back to BU to accept the waitlist offer, did you get any written confirmation on being on the waitlist? I sent my letter in march and I just realized that I didn't hear back from them at all after sending in the letter :p

mackaikai said:
hi, for you guys who wrote back to BU to accept the waitlist offer, did you get any written confirmation on being on the waitlist? I sent my letter in march and I just realized that I didn't hear back from them at all after sending in the letter :p

No, I didn't get any confirmation, just the acceptance letter a couple of months later. Funny thing is, they made a big deal about a deposit by May 15th, but have yet to cash my check... :confused:

Any waitlist movement recently?

Congratulations!

Did you hear by telephone, email, or US mail?

bostonmed said:
Congratulations!

Did you hear by telephone, email, or US mail?

i was traveling for work on monday, but I think they tried to call me then. When i got back on wednesday, i got an email asking me to 'verify my continued interest'. I emailed them back and said I was still interested and said I would call them wednesday afternoon. they beat me to it though.

Good Luck!