2025-2026 Boston University

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4. [OPTIONAL] Use this space to provide any additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. Do not include information already provided in your AMCAS application or other sections of the supplemental application. Most students leave this blank. (300 words)
Should we use this as a why us essay? Or is it better to just leave it blank?
 
Should we use this as a why us essay? Or is it better to just leave it blank?
If you read the prompt carefully, #4 is a "Why you?" essay. #3 was the "why BU?" essay.
If your primary app is more backstory than an expression of your traits and strengths which would make you a good doctor, you could use this essay to do that.
 
Do they send another email when application is complete/under review? All I'm seeing is "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application." I got an email when I submitted the app fee, but nothing after that.
i think so... this is from the portal:

"When we receive all the elements below and your application has been reviewed by our staff, your application will be completed and status confirmed with an email - Chobanian & Avedisian SOM; Application Complete. Applications are completed in the order in which they are received. Please allow 3 business days to receive your confirmation email."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you read the prompt carefully, #4 is a "Why you?" essay. #3 was the "why BU?" essay.
If your primary app is more backstory than an expression of your traits and strengths which would make you a good doctor, you could use this essay to do that.
Would you have any advice on how to approach the educational history prompt by chance? My usual diversity essay has to do with reconciling my cultural identity through an arts experience, but I'm not sure if that fits here.
 
My portal says all of the components have been submitted like the fee, letters, and mcat. Is this what you were talking about?
No it says this on the status page 10 days after my submission


We have completed your application and sent it to the Committee for review.
 
If you read the prompt carefully, #4 is a "Why you?" essay. #3 was the "why BU?" essay.
If your primary app is more backstory than an expression of your traits and strengths which would make you a good doctor, you could use this essay to do that.
For this prompt on the portal it just says is there any additional information you want to include, nothing about strengths as a candidate (unless I am missing something). I think it's okay to do a why us essay for that which covers different aspects than prompt #3.
 
For this prompt on the portal it just says is there any additional information you want to include, nothing about strengths as a candidate (unless I am missing something). I think it's okay to do a why us essay for that which covers different aspects than prompt #3.
#3 is your "why BU" essay
if you use the optional space tell them something strong or interesting about yourself
 
any other applicants who are submitting an IA letter? my student conduct office is honestly a mess and arent going through interfolio so my portal says the letter wasn't received even though they claimed they sent it. i followed up with them to request they re-send it so i can follow up w BU directly but eeks i kinda feel like the fact they're asking for this at all means that IAs take you out of the running here. hope i'm wrong though
my guy was on top of it and submitted it the day I asked. It might've taken a day to populate the portal tho, can't really remember
 
Do they send another email when application is complete/under review? All I'm seeing is "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application." I got an email when I submitted the app fee, but nothing after that.
Yes. I submitted on 7/24 and got a confirmation email today.
 
Hi Team. Re: 4. [OPTIONAL], do y'all think it's OK to indicate a research item not included on my AMCAS app? It's a recent peer-reviewed abstract published after I submitted my primary involving systems redevelopment, an area of research I'm keen on and discuss in my BU app (I have other publications and presentations in this field).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any other applicants who are submitting an IA letter? my student conduct office is honestly a mess and arent going through interfolio so my portal says the letter wasn't received even though they claimed they sent it. i followed up with them to request they re-send it so i can follow up w BU directly but eeks i kinda feel like the fact they're asking for this at all means that IAs take you out of the running here. hope i'm wrong though
I got an email from them specifically about the IA letter, and it said to send it to [email protected]. This is different from the info on their website which says to send IA letters to [email protected], so I'd just make sure your school is sending the letter to the right email address!
 
I got an email from them specifically about the IA letter, and it said to send it to [email protected]. This is different from the info on their website which says to send IA letters to [email protected], so I'd just make sure your school is sending the letter to the right email address!
Same, I had my person submit it to [email protected], and it went through (according to my portal), so I'd just listen to whatever the email says
 
sorry if this is a dumb q, whats an IA letter?
They request a letter directly from a university official if you marked that you had an institutional action

"Thank you for your interest in Chobanian & Avedisian SOM. During the review of your application, we noticed that an Institutional Action was recorded during your college career. As part of our policy, we require an official explanation of this action from the college or university where it occurred.
Please request that an appropriate official from your institution provide a written statement detailing the facts on the official institutional letterhead. If this information is included within a Committee Letter, please indicate this on the Letters of Recommendation page of the supplemental application. Separate letters are required for academic probation, even if it appears on your transcript.
All letters must be sent directly from the university official to [email protected] or uploaded via AMCAS using the same procedures as individual letters. The letter must include official letterhead and signature. Letters submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
If you are a re-applicant with a previously submitted Institutional Action letter on file from a prior application cycle and you have had no additional actions, you may request that we use the existing letter by sending a message through the Message Center.

Institutional Action letters must be received prior to the supplemental application deadline."
 
Submitted my application 7/23, still haven't gotten an application complete email. Anyone else in a similar boat? Don't want jump the gun and email them too early.
 
Submitted my application 7/23, still haven't gotten an application complete email. Anyone else in a similar boat? Don't want jump the gun and email them too early.
I submitted a week ago, got “Supplemental received” but still no complete. It says to wait up to 3 business days, but I’m guessing it’s a manual check and there is probs delays
 
I submitted a week ago, got “Supplemental received” but still no complete. It says to wait up to 3 business days, but I’m guessing it’s a manual check and there is probs delays
Hmmm that makes sense!This worrying over my submitted apps is probably better spent writing my others one LOL
 
Hmmm that makes sense!This worrying over my submitted apps is probably better spent writing my others one LOL
i know the feeling lol , especially as u get closer to submitting your last few, it becomes so much easier to over worry about the ones you have submitted already
 
They request a letter directly from a university official if you marked that you had an institutional action

"Thank you for your interest in Chobanian & Avedisian SOM. During the review of your application, we noticed that an Institutional Action was recorded during your college career. As part of our policy, we require an official explanation of this action from the college or university where it occurred.
Please request that an appropriate official from your institution provide a written statement detailing the facts on the official institutional letterhead. If this information is included within a Committee Letter, please indicate this on the Letters of Recommendation page of the supplemental application. Separate letters are required for academic probation, even if it appears on your transcript.
All letters must be sent directly from the university official to [email protected] or uploaded via AMCAS using the same procedures as individual letters. The letter must include official letterhead and signature. Letters submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
If you are a re-applicant with a previously submitted Institutional Action letter on file from a prior application cycle and you have had no additional actions, you may request that we use the existing letter by sending a message through the Message Center.

Institutional Action letters must be received prior to the supplemental application deadline."
thanks for the clarification!
 
i know the feeling lol , especially as u get closer to submitting your last few, it becomes so much easier to over worry about the ones you have submitted already
HAHA you get it. Every time I go to open my google doc, somehow my fingers find their way to SDN to creep on all the discussions boards instead LOL.
 
I noticed that there’s a tab called Interview in the portal. Has it always been there or is this something new?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad