Break ups in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derivations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I broke up this past week after she cheated on me. It was a long distance relationship (I know, red flag) but we made it work for 2 years. I'm just in shock right now because I planned to marry her and start a family with her after med school. I'm still pissed off and I feel blindsided by the whole deal, never saw it coming. After the fact we had some heated arguments and I may or may not have called her some names. But now that it's over I've found myself with little motivation and I just generally feel terrible. I've always been a good student in the top quarter of my class and I don't want this to affect my performance. I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with a break up of a serious relationship in med school and how you coped.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn. I'm sorry, Op.

Reactions: 7 users
So my girlfriend and I broke up this past week after she cheated on me. It was a long distance relationship (I know, red flag) but we made it work for 2 years. I'm just in shock right now because I planned to marry her and start a family with her after med school. I'm still pissed off and I feel blindsided by the whole deal, never saw it coming. After the fact we had some heated arguments and I may or may not have called her some names. But now that it's over I've found myself with little motivation and I just generally feel terrible. I've always been a good student in the top quarter of my class and I don't want this to affect my performance. I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with a break up of a serious relationship in med school and how you coped.

It can be tough,and can certainly affect your grades. 1) if you are in preclincals it doesn't really matter. 2) you have to realize this is probably the best thing that could happen to you. 3) find some healthy stress relief 4) find a new hobby 5) spend time with friends and meet new friends

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hang in there op :(

Reactions: 1 users
Better it happened now than when you were an attending with a couple kids. You'd be giving half of your hard earned paycheck to her every month. It's really a blessing in disguise. Best of luck in the future, only time will heal the wounds. Just remember that the best revenge is a life lived well.

Reactions: 39 users
If it's any consolation, here's an older post of yours, OP:

I got rejected by a girl during college but you know what? It sucked but I used that as motivation to work out and study my ass off. Now I'm in medical school. Turn that negative into positive energy bro. Good luck.

Also, that thread title hurt my brain.

That means that you've got it in you. Yeah, yeah, this is different. She was your dream girl, I totally get that. However, it seems that most of her was made up by your mind. She's not who you thought she was. She messed up, badly. She'll learn this. Karma's a b****. And even if she doesn't? You get to be excited for who you'll meet next, that will blow your mind away.

A few books my friends (okay, maybe me, in college) used were: The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, The Mastery of Love, by the same guy again, and In The Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant. It sounds cheesy, but these are quick reads, and focus on really easy ways to look at these problems. They helped me when I went through something similar. It's a personal growth-type thing, and before anybody knocks it and laughs, it gives you extra tools to deal with crap like this. Yeah, workout, study, etc. help, but what happens when you're not doing that? These help change the way you look at relationships, as well as yourself.

Give 'em a shot, or don't. Either way, this sucks, OP. Sorry again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Damn. I'm sorry, Op.
It can be tough,and can certainly affect your grades. 1) if you are in preclincals it doesn't really matter. 2) you have to realize this is probably the best thing that could happen to you. 3) find some healthy stress relief 4) find a new hobby 5) spend time with friends and meet new friends
hang in there op :(

Thanks for the posts, I'm hanging in there. Really appreciate it.

Better it happened now than when you were an attending with a couple kids. You'd be giving half of your hard earned paycheck to her every month. It's really a blessing in disguise. Best of luck in the future, only time will heal the wounds. Just remember that the best revenge is a life lived well.

Yeah you're right actually, and I have thought of that. If it didn't happen now, it would've happened down the line. I'm only out a couple thousand bucks instead of a couple hundred thousand bucks.

If it's any consolation, here's an older post of yours, OP:

That means that you've got it in you. Yeah, yeah, this is different. She was your dream girl, I totally get that. However, it seems that most of her was made up by your mind. She's not who you thought she was. She messed up, badly. She'll learn this. Karma's a b****. And even if she doesn't? You get to be excited for who you'll meet next, that will blow your mind away.

A couple of books my friends (okay, maybe me, in college) used were: The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, The Mastery of Love, by the same guy again, and In The Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant. It sounds cheesy, but these are quick reads, and focus on really easy ways to look at these problems. They helped me when I went through something similar. It's a personal growth-type thing, and before anybody knocks it and laughs, it gives you extra tools to deal with crap like this. Yeah, workout, study, etc. help, but what happens when you're not doing that? These help change the way you look at relationships, as well as yourself.

Give 'em a shot, or don't. Either way, this sucks, OP. Sorry again!

Yeah I made that post when things were going well. I've been to the gym already a couple times since we broke up which is more often than I was going when I was with her, so yeah I'm trying to take my own advice. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll look into those books for sure.

Reactions: 6 users
OP I dated a girl for 6 years and we broke up during an essential period for myself. Studying was hard and I regret every second I wasted focusing on her rather then reading/studying. Why? Because I don't even think about her now. My life is 10 times better. Do what you love man, change your mind set. Quit worrying about being married, think about all the cool stuff you're going to do after residency. Travel/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry brother, when you see your ex marrying some 40 year old "surfer photographer" with a pot belly and balding hair who drives around in a used Miata on facebook you'll start laughing. I know I did heheh...

This song is perfect for you...though I do prefer the more explicit version.

Reactions: 5 users
First step toward being in a good relationship is getting out of a bad one.

You lost someone that doesn't love you. She lost someone that loved her. Who really lost?

Breakups suck. Being cheated on sucks. Focus on yourself for a while, dive into school, the gym, whatever. Be as social as you feel comfortable. Time will heal.

Reactions: 38 users

I was in a long term relationship when I started med school and we ended up breaking up midway through M1. During the time period right after the breakup doing #2, 3, and 5 really helped me out.

It's been over a year now, and since we broke up, I've honestly just focused on doing me. I hardly think about her anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OP I dated a girl for 6 years and we broke up during an essential period for myself. Studying was hard and I regret every second I wasted focusing on her rather then reading/studying. Why? Because I don't even think about her now. My life is 10 times better. Do what you love man, change your mind set. Quit worrying about being married, think about all the cool stuff you're going to do after residency. Travel/etc.

Six years, wow! Can't even imagine that. Props to you for getting over that so quickly.

Don't worry brother, when you see your ex marrying some 40 year old "surfer photographer" with a pot belly and balding hair who drives around in a used Miata on facebook you'll start laughing. I know I did heheh...

This song is perfect for you...though I do prefer the more explicit version.

Well, now that you mention it, she did tell me that the guy she cheated on me with was a high school drop out. So you may not be far off. Thanks for the laugh.

First step toward being in a good relationship is getting out of a bad one.

You lost someone that doesn't love you. She lost someone that loved her. Who really lost?

Breakups suck. Being cheated on sucks. Focus on yourself for a while, dive into school, the gym, whatever. Be as social as you feel comfortable. Time will heal.

You're absolutely right. It is probably a blessing in disguise. She didn't even like me going to the gym because she didn't want me looking at girls there (lol). I should have seen her paranoia about me cheating as a sign that she would eventually be the one to do it. But ah well, live and learn.

Thank you everyone, I feel better already. Just needed a little pick-me-up I think.

Yikes. Sorry. I echo what everyone else said. Also, its so much better that this happened now vs when you were done with school and making attending money and had children with this person. LDR's in med school can work for sure, but they are not easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...
a) Good thing that never followed through
b) It's hard to see anything like this in a long-distance relationship unless you have cameras at her place.
c) Calling her names isn't a bad idea given what she did. What would be bad is apologizing or acting like you're the reason why.

Talk about a headache.

Sorry OP. How did you find out? She tell you or what? I'm also in a long distance relationship and my girlfriend is hanging out with a guy and his circle of friends 'because she's bored' most weekends. She's a post-doc, not some ditzy party girl, and yet she still has way more free time than I do. I'm starting to wonder if ending it is inevitable. You always hear being a doctor takes sacrifices, but this is the kind of stuff you don't expect. I feel that my only options for a long term relationship at this point will be another doctor because they are the only ones who get how time consuming all this crap is.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry OP. How did you find out? She tell you or what? I'm also in a long distance relationship and my girlfriend is hanging out with a guy and his circle of friends 'because she's bored' most weekends. She's a post-doc, not some ditzy party girl, and yet she still has way more free time than I do. I'm starting to wonder if ending it is inevitable. You always hear being a doctor takes sacrifices, but this is the kind of stuff you don't expect. I feel that my only options for a long term relationship at this point will be another doctor because they are the only ones who get how time consuming all this crap is.
What year are you?

If I sat around freaking out about what my significant other was doing(with other girls) or what he might be doing or what he could be doing or what he was thinking or what potentially he could think, I would probably drive myself bananas. If your SO isnt in professional school too, chances are that she has more free time than you. Thats a given. But that doesnt mean that shes off doing or feeling whatever it is youre thinking*

*I do agree that most people dont understand how life consuming medical school is. If I hadnt gone through dental school, my mentality would probably be a lot different. As would my tolerance for things.

My ex dumped me the day after my white coat ceremony first year and moved to Europe...

I had a crappy first year (I can't attribute it entirely to the breakup, but it didn't help). The further along I went the more I realized it was for the better and I think you will too. Use it as an excuse to throw yourself into schoolwork and do things you enjoy without having the added stress of a LDR with a person of, er, questionable moral fiber. You'll be just fine. (Plus, it freed me up to get engaged to a classmate a few years later:))

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just keeping it real. I don't have the money to fly out to see her, so if we were farther away, we'd literally only see each other once every 8-10 months. I couldn't deal with that, I'd have to break up, there's just no way around it no matter how much I care about her.

I'm just keeping it real. I don't have the money to fly out to see her, so if we were farther away, we'd literally only see each other once every 8-10 months. I couldn't deal with that, I'd have to break up, there's just no way around it no matter how much I care about her.
lol PREACH

Oh wait, just saw the "long distance" bit. Yeah, you're boned.

I'm about 3.5 hours away from my gf, so it isn't that bad- I drive to see her or vice versa every weekend. But if it were farther than that, it would be awful.

So you drive 7 hours like every other weekend? I want to get laid as much as anyone but damn I would have to consider if it's worth it at that point.

So you drive 7 hours like every other weekend? I want to get laid as much as anyone but damn I would have to consider if it's worth it at that point.
i love how the underlying assumption here is that he only drives to his gf for sex

Reactions: 8 users
Well, I get to spend nearly 3 days at home and live a fairly normal life every other week, which helps me forget about medical school and allows me to enjoy myself. I get to keep in contact with all of my friends, spend time with my gf, etc. It lets me keep my old life intact while going to medical school at the same time- I couldn't ask for more. Plus I get to listen to lectures on the drive, so it's not really wasted time, and I like driving anyway.

And I'm so sick of love songs, so tired of tears
So done with wishing you were still here
Said I'm so sick of love songs, so sad and slow
So why can't I turn off the radio?

Obviously SDN needs a dating subforum

This is the single greatest thing I've read in response to a break-up.

To OP, do what you need to do and definitely do not be afraid to seek counseling. It helped me more than I could imagine when I was in undergrad and just talking through the situation with someone that you know will keep it private can be very cathartic.

Reactions: 10 users

Last edited:
Not to be too nosy OP but:
1. How did you find out?
2. How did he get into her life
3. You say it was long distance for two years, but how long did you know each other before that.

I'm going to echo everyone and say that it could have been worse (not even thinking about marriage, but just imagine if she broke up with you right before you take step 1). Also you can do other things to try to take your mind off of her, but the best thing to do is to get involved with some other females (not necessarily just using them, but dating and all that) and you'll forget her in no time.

article-2009246-0B1F7822000005DC-545_468x343.jpg

Last edited:

Yes. Same situation/cause for me. But imagine doing a super competitive away rotation for a super competitive match, while breaking up across the country, and kicking your ex out your apartment (remotely) and fighting for the dog! Messed up yea? Time will heal all wounds though. Be strong!

Yes. Same situation/cause for me. But imagine doing a super competitive away rotation for a super competitive match, while breaking up across the country, and kicking your ex out your apartment (remotely) and fighting for the dog! Messed up yea? Time will heal all wounds though. Be strong!

What.

translation: he finally moved out of his mom's basement while doing his peds rotation

:laugh::laugh::laugh: i kid, i kid

Not to be too nosy OP but:
1. How did you find out?
2. How did he get into her life
3. You say it was long distance for two years, but how long did you know each other before that.

I'm going to echo everyone and say that it could have been worse (not even thinking about marriage, but just imagine if she broke up with you right before you take step 1). Also you can do other things to try to take your mind off of her, but the best thing to do is to get involved with some other females (not necessarily just using them, but dating and all that) and you'll forget her in no time.

1 - She started acting strange a few weeks ago, I knew something was up. I asked if she found someone else, she denied it. Strange behavior went on for a couple weeks. Then about a week ago I guess she felt really guilty so she straight up told me she did it.
2 - Apparently they had a thing before she met me. I honestly have no idea, she could've been (and probably was) seeing him for a while.
3 - We started dating not long after we met.

Yeah, it actually makes me feel a lot better that this didn't happen at this time next year before Step 1. That would've been awful.

Damn! Alright you all have me beat, my sob story is nothing compared to what some of you have been through.

Yeah, it actually makes me feel a lot better that this didn't happen at this time next year before Step 1. That would've been .

I know someone who broke up with the same person a week before step one and step two. Same person. Their steps were a train wreck.

Reactions: 6 users
1 - She started acting strange a few weeks ago, I knew something was up. I asked if she found someone else, she denied it. Strange behavior went on for a couple weeks. Then about a week ago I guess she felt really guilty so she straight up told me she did it.
2 - Apparently they had a thing before she met me. I honestly have no idea, she could've been (and probably was) seeing him for a while.
3 - We started dating not long after we met.

Yeah, it actually makes me feel a lot better that this didn't happen at this time next year before Step 1. That would've been awful.

Damn! Alright you all have me beat, my sob story is nothing compared to what some of you have been through.

Nah, I'm happy yours ended before it could really mess up your career. Trust me, my body had one funky reaction to all that stress.

Sorry to hear that OP.

I went through a very difficult relationship while trying to adjust to first year (it sucked all throughout but I hung in there) and in the end got dumped the following summer. Since the break up happened over the summer after M1, I had a few months to get myself at least functional before classes started. But I still found myself having plenty of bad days in M2. Nonetheless, it's been months and my bad days are less and less frequent. I find myself doing much better, and am actually happier now than I ever was when in that relationship. Just those first couple months were brutal. I can't imagine how tough it must be to be dealing with this in the midst of classes, but I can certainly say (and from reading this thread too) you're not alone. A huge chunk of my classmates went through really rough break ups in M1, and some are going through them now in M2.

All I can say is don't beat yourself up if your performance does falter a bit. You're human after all, and this is a **** thing to happen. Beating yourself up more for your performance might just make this more stressful. Do your best, but if your grades falter a bit, don't let it get you down too much, otherwise you get a circle of sorrow thing going. Use studying as a means to stay busy and keep your mind occupied.

1) Best advice I have. Study in groups. This helped me big time on my worst days, and I've seen friends going through break ups do the same. This may be the best time to reach out to a few classmates for support. Sitting alone in a quiet room studying will make it easy for you to lose yourself in your thoughts and make it difficult to focus. But if you're with a good set of people in a room, they might help keep you out of your head and in your books. Also, you'll have moral support near you while you study.
2) Exercise. Looks like you're already doing this, which is good. Keep that up.
3) Just stay busy. Re-discover old hobbies you liked or find new ones, constantly be around people you like, just always keep moving.
4) Just remember, this is likely the worst part. Though it may take a lot of time and recovery is a slow ****ing process (I'm still not 100%), you will gradually feel better. Just take it day by day for now.
5) If you find yourself really having a hard time coping with this. don't be afraid to see your school's CAPS counselor. It sounds lame, but sometimes we all need that extra support.

You're definitely not alone, it's a **** feeling and getting by in school is tough, but it's doable. And if it means anything at all, no matter how bad my experience has been, and I'm still not 100% recovered from it. I feel like my quality of life is so much better now and I think you will be in a better place in your life too as time goes on. It will take time though. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users