Burning Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newkat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I guess I'm a little behind here, I'm just starting to fill out the stuff on AMCAS, but I have a coupla drafts of my personal statement done. Anyways, just a quick question, is it worth waiting to send my transcript after spring grades are availabe? It wouldn't be ready until June 20th or so and in this quarter I'm taking the last part of Physics. Any advice would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Newkat said:
Hey guys, so I guess I'm a little behind here, I'm just starting to fill out the stuff on AMCAS, but I have a coupla drafts of my personal statement done. Anyways, just a quick question, is it worth waiting to send my transcript after spring grades are availabe? It wouldn't be ready until June 20th or so and in this quarter I'm taking the last part of Physics. Any advice would be much appreciated

hmm, not sure....my school told us to wait to submit amcas until transcripts w/ spring grades arrived. but ours arrived a few days ago -- your situation is a bit different.

i don't want to advise you wrongly, but i think that you should go ahead and submit and add your spring grades when you get them -- the mcat score won't arrive until around june 16th anyway, so the package will not be complete until around the end of june.

but regardless, i think it's best to get everything sent off and just add info as it comes....i might be wrong though

It depends on your GPA and how strong your quarter grades will be. I decided to not send in my spring quarter grades when I applied because my GPA was already solid and I didn't want to delay my application for that long. If you want to wait simply to show the admissions committees that you've completed the physics series, keep in mind that you can enter current and future coursework on AMCAS. Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, I'm not sure that you can add new grades after you submit. Maybe you should hold off until you get your transcripts. June 20 is really early in process anyway. I'm not sure if this is good advice, though. I guess you could ask the AAMC what they recommend.

Newkat said:
No way. I would definately send it in. You can always update later. but if u send stuff in, then it'll start the application stuff. Hence, u'll get secondaries and be able to fill those out earlier. I think every day makes a difference. so... submit that shiat!

willthatsall said:
Umm, I'm not sure that you can add new grades after you submit.

No, I meant that you can list your current and future classes on AMCAS without including any grades. That way, the OP could submit AMCAS early, and medical schools would see that the OP had completed physics. :thumbup:

UCLAstudent said:
No, I meant that you can list your current and future classes on AMCAS without including any grades. That way, the OP could submit AMCAS early, and medical schools would see that the OP had completed physics. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, that's word.

I go to a school on the quarter system so my spring grades weren't available until about June 20 either. I waited to send them and it didn't slow anything down at all. I still got secondaries and interviews really really early. Good luck!

jllander said:
I go to a school on the quarter system so my spring grades weren't available until about June 20 either. I waited to send them and it didn't slow anything down at all. I still got secondaries and interviews really really early. Good luck!

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. You really wouldn't be "behind" by waiting until the 20th. You would still be ahead. Maybe it should depend about your GPA.

Thanks a lot guys. Good luck to everyone.

Wait, time out!!! So my grades aren't coming out til around June 10th so AMCAS isn't going to have my last transcript til probably like the 20th....They have 2/3 though already...Do I submit June 1st and then just wait for the transcript to get there? Or wait til I see the transcript has been received?

I apologize if this is like the exact same question that has been answered here. :)

Newkat said:
Hey guys, so I guess I'm a little behind here, I'm just starting to fill out the stuff on AMCAS, but I have a coupla drafts of my personal statement done.

umm; you couldnt be further behind! Most people are already in for the class of '10; how will you ever catch up?

There's like practically no difference between sending your AMCAS in June and sending it in during the first week of July.

Newkat said:

buy a fire extinguisher

haha :laugh: :laugh:

sorry