2022-2023 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any emails of rejection so far? with or without interview?
If you get the II, JABSOM won't release a decision until after all the interviews have been completed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got this email from JABSOM:

Dear X:

Due to the high volume of applications received by JABSOM, your secondary application is still under review. We apologize for the delay and will notify you by email upon completion of the review process.

Should you have any questions, please contact the JABSOM Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (808) 692-0892.
Thank you.
Office of Admissions
University of Hawai'i

Seems like they are moving a bit slower this year?
Got this as well on 10/6. Emailed them today and still no update.
completed 8/3; preview 9/14, I remember the score being low. I got tired of that nonsense.
relocated to HI last year. Army Reserve. Doing second BS at UH Manoa. So I only got 2/5 points for residency. Ties would be my 3rd point. I’m Pinoy and my people are heeeeeeeeeeere! No family though. Lol

Got this as well on 10/6. Emailed them today and still no update.
completed 8/3; preview 9/14, I remember the score being low. I got tired of that nonsense.
relocated to HI last year. Army Reserve. Doing second BS at UH Manoa. So I only got 2/5 points for residency. Ties would be my 3rd point. I’m Pinoy and my people are heeeeeeeeeeere! No family though. Lol
what is the residency points thing that you're referring to?

what is the residency points thing that you're referring to?

JABSOM Residency Screening​

The John A. Burns School of Medicine’s first priority is to admit resident applicants with strong ties to the State of Hawaiʻi.  All applicants go through two screening processes.  The initial Residency screen is to determine an applicant’s ties to Hawaiʻi, not to eliminate an applicant at this stage of the application process.

To determine status as a ‘resident’ or ‘nonresident’ for application purposes to the University of Hawaiʻi John A. Burns School of Medicine, an applicant is scored on the following criteria on the Residency Screen:

1. Legal residence of the applicant
  2. Legal residence of the applicant’s parents
  3. Birthplace
  4. Location of high school graduated
  5. Location of college or university attended
The information will be accessed from the applicant’s primary AMCAS application and JABSOM’s secondary application.  An applicant is required to have a minimum of two out of the five criteria to be considered a ‘resident’ for application purposes.  An applicant will have the opportunity to explain their ties to Hawaiʻi in the secondary application.  An applicant who has less than the minimum two points will be considered a ‘nonresident’ for application purposes.

For Information regarding establishing Hawaiʻi residency for tuition purposes, please visit University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa’s Hawaiʻi Residency Requirements page.

I’m pretty sure it used to be 3 points to be considered resident. Guess I’m considered resident now. But still no II and I’m not relying much on this school given the pool of applicants here…hardcore test taker achievers

Hugs, my friend. I was expecting as well but nothing yet. I’m a 10th percentile for their MCAT and only 2 points for residency.

when did you submit? I completed 8/3 and on 10/6 still on secondary app review.
Ahh all good! I don’t even know how many points of residency I have (probably zero honestly). So I kinda expected this, not too fretted. I submitted 8/17. Good luck to you tho! Hopefully a good sign that you submitted before me and haven’t gotten an R!

Just got II. Extremely surprised. Yes, JABSOM is not a top school. But I have always thought i will be filtered out because of my embarrasing 50x MCAT lol. And the pool of applicants here are known for good test takers! ;)

Last edited:
Just got II. Extremely surprised. Yes, JABSOM is not a top school. But I have always thought i will be filtered out because of my embarrasing 50x MCAT lol. And the pool of applicants here are known for good test takers! ;)
Wow congrats!! We’re you ever placed on the interview waitlist or did you get a ii straight?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congrats!! We’re you ever placed on the interview waitlist or did you get a ii straight?
II straight.

Not sure if my email to them yesterday made any impact as far as noticing my application.

I have been having trouble receiving emails from schools using WebAdMIT as their delivery system for updates and news. True enough I didn’t get the email they supposedly sent me on 10/27 but it only says secondary appl still under review or something to that effect.

Just received a waitlist for an II. If they want to reject me, just say so lol 😅

Received an II on 11/4 after having been added to the waitlist! OOS with no ties. Any advice from those who have interviewed would be appreciated!!

Interview completed mid-October. IS, LM 69. No word since, was told admissions were not rolling and interviewees will mostly all hear back in March 2023.
You must’ve gotten your II hella early if you were done in October! I received my II in October and they were already scheduling Dean Asano’s interview out to late January.

You must’ve gotten your II hella early if you were done in October! I received my II in October and they were already scheduling Dean Asano’s interview out to late January.
You can try to reach out to see if there are any earlier dates. When I did my interviews late-October, I was originally scheduled for early January, but ran into a conflict with travel and tried to push it back, but I was offered an earlier position. So I wrapped everything up by mid-November.

• Wow
II on 12/9 after being being put on interview waitlist on 10/24, OOS and no residency points, but I do have family ties to HI. They said Dean Asano is opening up later dates for interviews with her, so I'm not sure how far out that one will be scheduled (can't be later than March though since that's when decisions come out). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

+1 OOS, received II 12/9 after being put on hold in October. Best of luck to everyone!

My 3rd interview will be on 12/22 will be with someone on behalf of Dean Asano due to “large number of applicants this year”.

My 1st and 2nd were done in Nov two weeks before Thanksgiving.

My 3rd interview will be on 12/22 will be with someone on behalf of Dean Asano due to “large number of applicants this year”.

My 1st and 2nd were done in Nov two weeks before Thanksgiving.
Dang, they started the substitute interviewers early this year. When I first applied in 2020, they didn't swap to proxies for Dr. Asano until late-Jan early-Feb.

I've had both my interviews in December and I'm also waiting on a date for a 3rd interview with Dean Asano (or someone else)

Did anyone get an acceptance yet? Their website says “Exceptional candidates rated highly and recommended by the Admissions Committee for early notification of acceptance, will be offered an acceptance after review rather than at the end of the admissions process.” I was wondering how soon after the completion of your interviews would you expect to hear a decision if this is case.

Did anyone get an acceptance yet? Their website says “Exceptional candidates rated highly and recommended by the Admissions Committee for early notification of acceptance, will be offered an acceptance after review rather than at the end of the admissions process.” I was wondering how soon after the completion of your interviews would you expect to hear a decision if this is case.
Yeah I got the A a couple of days ago actually after finishing my last interview about a week prior! I'm OOS btw! It was quite surprising and a great way to start off the new year!

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to everyone here, I finished my 3rd round of interviews in October

Any idea when we should expect decisions? I’m getting antsy 😁

Reactions: 1 users
ik, im getting very antsy too. so close, yet so far. their admissions website says 3/15, but we shall see.

Good luck to everyone today (if today truly is the day)!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users