2021-2022 Hawaii (Burns)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm confused bc i thought this school is not rolling admissions = most people find out in March regardless of when they interview?
Please go look at the 2020-2021 discussion is only 6 pages or so ( for reference ). The majority of admissions will be sent out in MARCH however some post II Rs will go earlier, and a selected few mostly outstanding IS will get notified earlier.
 
If you score 8 or higher, you get notified before March. Otherwise, you're notified in March. Committee convenes in February. They don't tell you the scoring system but you can guess it's based on GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, ties to Hawaii, interviews, LOR, etc.
 
If you score 8 or higher, you get notified before March. Otherwise, you're notified in March. Committee convenes in February. They don't tell you the scoring system but you can guess it's based on GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, ties to Hawaii, interviews, LOR, etc.
Thanks.. Ugh, March seems like a long ways a way. JABSOM is my top choice..
 
OOS but with ties..
Ties help but don't mean much at JABSOM. To put things in perspective things to be considered a resident IS an applicant you need to meet 3 of these:

  1. Legal residence of the applicant
  2. Legal residence of the applicant’s parents
  3. Birthplace
  4. Location of high school graduated
  5. Location of college or university attended
Meaning that local applicants whose legal state of residence is in Hawaii( 5,10 years or more), but only meet 2 of the 3, are considered OOS and are competing for the same 10 OSS spots with International and mainland students. This makes ties to the state useful but not that relevant.

While it is your first choice, make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket.
 
Ties help but don't mean much at JABSOM. To put things in perspective things to be considered a resident IS an applicant you need to meet 3 of these:

  1. Legal residence of the applicant
  2. Legal residence of the applicant’s parents
  3. Birthplace
  4. Location of high school graduated
  5. Location of college or university attended
Meaning that local applicants whose legal state of residence is in Hawaii( 5,10 years or more), but only meet 2 of the 3, are considered OOS and are competing for the same 10 OSS spots with International and mainland students. This makes ties to the state useful but not that relevant.

While it is your first choice, make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket.
I have 2 out of the 5.. I know my chances are slim, but still hopeful. I have some other options but JABSOM would be a dream come true.
 
Please go look at the 2020-2021 discussion is only 6 pages or so ( for reference ). The majority of admissions will be sent out in MARCH however some post II Rs will go earlier, and a selected few mostly outstanding IS will get notified earlier.
I have seen it already.

You said "up to 6 weeks" which is misleading. Most people need to wait longer than 6 weeks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if they interview here is open or closed file? I also got an II last cycle and was wondering if it was appropriate to discuss their interest in me (being OOS) with the dean.
 
International applicant. Placed on the interview waitlist today, complete 08/4. I assume that does not bode well. I did not have high hopes but I did love the school.
 
Wondering if anyone has been accepted as of yet?
I believe that JABSOM doesn't really do rolling acceptances. Many of theirs go out in March. I do think they give out early acceptances early next year to people who have scored a high number of points (you can find more details about this online, I don't know the categories off the top of my head).
 
I finished my interview last week. The admission director mentioned we may hear something sooner but most likely decisions come on March 11th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received an e-mail titled "interview waitlist closure" earlier. Little too on the nose for me 😛
 
Just under 2 weeks to go..So ready to find out. Since they average 77 per class, I wonder how many they actually accept? They have to take into account people declining. Perhaps they just go down the waitlist..Best of luck to everyone…
 
I wanna say that all news regardless of OOS or IS is around march 11th
Yep you’re right, I was given March 11th as an official decision date. You’re scored by a panel on a scale of 1-10. Applicants scoring higher than 8 will hear back sooner, but everyone else will all hear back on the same day (March 11th this round).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep you’re right, I was given March 11th as an official decision date. You’re scored by a panel on a scale of 1-10. Applicants scoring higher than 8 will hear back sooner, but everyone else will all hear back on the same day (March 11th this round).
One more week to go!