2021-2022 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you expect anything different? Not many pre-meds who can count as residents in HI relative to many/most mainland states.
JABSOM gets a pretty decent amount of applications... it's just many of those who apply are not on SDN.....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, pretty sure that you need to have a score of 9 or 10 to hear back before March

i'm confused bc i thought this school is not rolling admissions = most people find out in March regardless of when they interview?
Please go look at the 2020-2021 discussion is only 6 pages or so ( for reference ). The majority of admissions will be sent out in MARCH however some post II Rs will go earlier, and a selected few mostly outstanding IS will get notified earlier.

If you score 8 or higher, you get notified before March. Otherwise, you're notified in March. Committee convenes in February. They don't tell you the scoring system but you can guess it's based on GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, ties to Hawaii, interviews, LOR, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven’t heard about the scoring system.. Any idea how that works?
Each member of the committee scores your application individually both by stats and interpersonal factors/diversity factors. then the average of all scores is your final score.

If you score 8 or higher, you get notified before March. Otherwise, you're notified in March. Committee convenes in February. They don't tell you the scoring system but you can guess it's based on GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, ties to Hawaii, interviews, LOR, etc.
Thanks.. Ugh, March seems like a long ways a way. JABSOM is my top choice..

OOS but with ties..
Ties help but don't mean much at JABSOM. To put things in perspective things to be considered a resident IS an applicant you need to meet 3 of these:

1. Legal residence of the applicant
  2. Legal residence of the applicant’s parents
  3. Birthplace
  4. Location of high school graduated
  5. Location of college or university attended
Meaning that local applicants whose legal state of residence is in Hawaii( 5,10 years or more), but only meet 2 of the 3, are considered OOS and are competing for the same 10 OSS spots with International and mainland students. This makes ties to the state useful but not that relevant.

While it is your first choice, make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ties help but don't mean much at JABSOM. To put things in perspective things to be considered a resident IS an applicant you need to meet 3 of these:

1. Legal residence of the applicant
  2. Legal residence of the applicant’s parents
  3. Birthplace
  4. Location of high school graduated
  5. Location of college or university attended
Meaning that local applicants whose legal state of residence is in Hawaii( 5,10 years or more), but only meet 2 of the 3, are considered OOS and are competing for the same 10 OSS spots with International and mainland students. This makes ties to the state useful but not that relevant.

While it is your first choice, make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket.
I have 2 out of the 5.. I know my chances are slim, but still hopeful. I have some other options but JABSOM would be a dream come true.

Please go look at the 2020-2021 discussion is only 6 pages or so ( for reference ). The majority of admissions will be sent out in MARCH however some post II Rs will go earlier, and a selected few mostly outstanding IS will get notified earlier.
I have seen it already.

You said "up to 6 weeks" which is misleading. Most people need to wait longer than 6 weeks.

I have 2 out of the 5.. I know my chances are slim, but still hopeful. I have some other options but JABSOM would be a dream come true.
I have 0 out of the 5 and JABSOM is still my top choice out of the schools i applied to

Pre-II rejection. OOS but with ties. 512 MCAT and 3.5x GPA.

Anyone know if they interview here is open or closed file? I also got an II last cycle and was wondering if it was appropriate to discuss their interest in me (being OOS) with the dean.

Anyone know if they interview here is open or closed file? I also got an II last cycle and was wondering if it was appropriate to discuss their interest in me (being OOS) with the dean.
Your interviewers can read your personal statement and secondary essays. Other than that, they do not get information about your stats and other stuff!

Reactions: 1 users
Just go an II !!! Beyond excited!
OOS, moderate ties, complete 9/3

International applicant. Placed on the interview waitlist today, complete 08/4. I assume that does not bode well. I did not have high hopes but I did love the school.

Wondering if anyone has been accepted as of yet?
I believe that JABSOM doesn't really do rolling acceptances. Many of theirs go out in March. I do think they give out early acceptances early next year to people who have scored a high number of points (you can find more details about this online, I don't know the categories off the top of my head).

Pre-interview hold right now. OOS 3.91 GPA 521 MCAT

what's the historic pre-interview hold trend for this school? is it a soft R? OOS, 0 ties whatsoever

I finished my interview last week. The admission director mentioned we may hear something sooner but most likely decisions come on March 11th.

How long after your final interviews did you get the file closure notice?

How long after your final interviews did you get the file closure notice?
For me, it was the Monday after my last interview. So a few days afterwards.

Does anyone know how they send notifications? Just wondering if it’s via email or a letter?

Does anyone know how they send notifications? Just wondering if it’s via email or a letter?
All my communications with them so far have been over email

just wanted to put this out here since I've been lurking for a while, but I got an A (IS) in mid October. I'm sure others have received As as well.

Reactions: 3 users
just wanted to put this out here since I've been lurking for a while, but I got an A (IS) in mid October. I'm sure others have received As as well.
Congrats! Guessing I will hear next month one way or another.

Received an e-mail titled "interview waitlist closure" earlier. Little too on the nose for me :p

Received an e-mail titled "interview waitlist closure" earlier. Little too on the nose for me :p
I don't know if I'm just brain dead but what does that email mean?? 😂 That they are no longer interviewing and are done for the season?

I don't know if I'm just brain dead but what does that email mean?? 😂 That they are no longer interviewing and are done for the season?
I imagine that's exactly right!
edit:The second sentence, of course LOL

Just under 2 weeks to go..So ready to find out. Since they average 77 per class, I wonder how many they actually accept? They have to take into account people declining. Perhaps they just go down the waitlist..Best of luck to everyone…

• Care
I wanna say that all news regardless of OOS or IS is around march 11th
Yep you’re right, I was given March 11th as an official decision date. You’re scored by a panel on a scale of 1-10. Applicants scoring higher than 8 will hear back sooner, but everyone else will all hear back on the same day (March 11th this round).

Anyone have any thoughts on the school/curriculum? ✌🏼

Yep you’re right, I was given March 11th as an official decision date. You’re scored by a panel on a scale of 1-10. Applicants scoring higher than 8 will hear back sooner, but everyone else will all hear back on the same day (March 11th this round).
One more week to go!

Going to be a long week!!! Maybe they will surprise us a week early??????🙏
I love to see I’m not the only one with high BP that keeps watching my email like they’re gonna surprise us 😂🙏🏼 Still praying! Hang in there y’all