C+ in Adv Multivar Calc, No Calc I/II, Should I Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

QueenAudrey

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends,

I'm dreaming/planning out my future course load for post-bac and trying to follow the "only retake courses you got a C or worse in" rule of thumb. Way back in the day, my undergrad had me skip Calc I and II and go straight into Advanced Multivariable Calc. Got a C+ (my only C in a pre-req so far).

1) Do I need to take Calc I and/or Calc II during post-bac for med school admissions? My transcript acknowledges that I placed out, but does not award numerical credit for those courses.

2) Do I need to retake "Advanced Multivariable Calculus" or can I get away with taking Biostatistics and/or Epidemiology to show math competence? I have an old B in Statistics from undergrad.

If it matters, I'm a career changer who doesn't need cGPA repair, just planning on taking the rest of my pre-reqs and a boatload of upper division science courses to prove that my brain hasn't atrophied post-Army.

Thanks for your time!
NN
 
1. Almost certainly, no. An overwhelming majority of med schools do not require calculus.

2. No, do not retake.