CA/NY Residency Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poppy360

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been lurking around here for a while and have decided to start posting. As a little background, I'm currently 28 and I grew up in NY. Went to Hunter for my undergrad. (Psych major/Bio minor) Screwed around in NY while in school and my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to 1.7 and then finished with a 2.7-2.8. I was considering Med school in my undergrad, but eventually thought against it. After school I became a personal trainer and managed a gym for a while. About a year and a half ago, I got a job as a Research Assistant at Dartmouth Medical School doing research on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Developing Brain.
Working in a hospital, under two Pediatric Neurosurgeons, has rekindled the flame of desire for Med school and I'm currently researching post-bacc programs to start off the process.
I would like to either move back to NYC or out to SF for my schooling, but am not sure on residency requirements. I'm currently a VT resident, but I have family still in NY (so I can put my name on their mailbox) and I have a friend moving to SF in Jan (hopefully I can use his mailbox).
My problem is that I don't know how long it takes to establish residency in these two states. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to chatting it up with all of you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Poppy360 said:
Hi all!

I've been lurking around here for a while and have decided to start posting. As a little background, I'm currently 28 and I grew up in NY. Went to Hunter for my undergrad. (Psych major/Bio minor) Screwed around in NY while in school and my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to 1.7 and then finished with a 2.7-2.8. I was considering Med school in my undergrad, but eventually thought against it. After school I became a personal trainer and managed a gym for a while. About a year and a half ago, I got a job as a Research Assistant at Dartmouth Medical School doing research on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Developing Brain.
Working in a hospital, under two Pediatric Neurosurgeons, has rekindled the flame of desire for Med school and I'm currently researching post-bacc programs to start off the process.
I would like to either move back to NYC or out to SF for my schooling, but am not sure on residency requirements. I'm currently a VT resident, but I have family still in NY (so I can put my name on their mailbox) and I have a friend moving to SF in Jan (hopefully I can use his mailbox).
My problem is that I don't know how long it takes to establish residency in these two states. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to chatting it up with all of you! :)
I believe it's a year and either state (I'm a Cali res). BUT, just an extra word of advice, getting into a Cali state school is damn near impossible (as I'm finding out first hand while I apply for the 2nd time this year). I feel as though NY would be a much wiser choice of places to establish residency as they accept almost double the percentage of instate applicants. Personally, I love Cali and want nothing more than to stay here but I have a feeling I won't be for med school :(

Yeah, definately don't consider switching to CA for residency purposes. The competition there is brutal. So I'd only consider VT or NY.

My 2 cents: stick with your Vermont residency. Yes NY has more state schools, but my understanding is that Vermont Med is one of the easier publics to get into if you're a resident of that state. Given your low GPA status, this is especially important. (I'm sure someone will disagree with me here.) I would just go to U Vermont or someplace on the east coast for a post-bacc - no need to move to SF to do one.