Calculus Ds, big deal? (Post-Bacc in progress)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfnscale

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I've posted post-bacc questions before, so sorry if you've heard me before. A bit has changed since my last post. I'd like to hear your advice regarding math and quantitative courses. My advisor's current opinion is, strangely, no opinion (??). I'm going to list some of my stats and grades so you have a frame of reference to work with.

Degrees:BS and MS (Environmental Sciences)
Status atm: I'm in a post-bacc program (it is sort of DIY, or perhaps just hands-off)
GPA: undergrad=3.54, grad=3.83, BCPM-GPA=3.23
Grades for basic pre-reqs:
Bio: A, A, B
Gen Chem: D, C+, A
Post Bacc- retook chem101, A (lecture) and A- (lab)
Orgo: A- (lecture), B+ (lab/lecture)
Orgo 2 in progress
Physics: C, C, B-
Math:
College Algebra- A-, B
Precalc: B
Calc: A+, D, D
Stats: B+, A-

I'm a bit of a struggle bus with more quantitative courses. Sometimes they click for me, sometimes they don't. (I'm working on it!) I was advised to re-take my CHEM101 course to bring up that D. Done! I was also advised not to touch my C and above courses. My plan for the remaining time in my post bacc includes recommended courses (upper level bio, biochem, anthropology, psychology).

My advisor does not know what to tell me about my math courses (this post bacc program is new, so maybe he just isn't up to speed yet). I know a lot of MD programs require Calc, while others don't specify. DO is the same, with some requiring calc, others alright with college algebra, some accepting stats, and some not caring at all. I guess the ambiguousness of the math requirement is throwing me off.

I would really like some advice from you all about if I should be taking more math courses to turn around those last two calc Ds, or focus more on other BCPM classes to raise my sGPA.

Thanks for your time and ears,
Non-trad :D

Members don't see this ad.

Overall, I would unfortunately say that you're going to have an uphill battle with these grades overall. Not to say it's impossible, but your overall GPA and BCPM GPA are both below average for accepted medical students. And you have several Cs in core classes like chemistry and physics. That's not typical of the average accepted med student.

Personally, I think calculus is probably the least critical of the college courses that contribute to your BCPM GPA. Obviously, it's not great that you have two calculus classes in which you received a D grade--both which unfortunately bring down your BCPM-GPA. I think most admissions officers would be encouraged that you did well in your stats classes--which in all honesty are probably more relevant to most med students and physicians than calculus. If you are VERY confident that you could retake one of those calculus classes and boost that D to an A or a B--and you have the time and money to devote to that effort--then I think that would further solidify the opinion among admissions folks that you're solid with your math skills and that you just had a couple bad runs in undergrad.

But the fact remains that your overall GPA and BCPM-GPA are on the low side. I think there are other things you could focus time on to improve the strength of your application instead of retaking calculus. I would continue to focus on doing very well on organic chemistry II. Try to get some very strong letters of recommendation from your post-bacc science faculty. Consider taking additional upper-level biology or physics courses that might dispel any concerns about your ability to do well in those types of courses.

I'm not saying any of the above to be mean or discouraging. I'm just saying I think there are other fish to fry and that the D in calculus won't make or break your application.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Overall, I would unfortunately say that you're going to have an uphill battle with these grades overall. Not to say it's impossible, but your overall GPA and BCPM GPA are both below average for accepted medical students. And you have several Cs in core classes like chemistry and physics. That's not typical of the average accepted med student.

Personally, I think calculus is probably the least critical of the college courses that contribute to your BCPM GPA. Obviously, it's not great that you have two calculus classes in which you received a D grade--both which unfortunately bring down your BCPM-GPA. I think most admissions officers would be encouraged that you did well in your stats classes--which in all honesty are probably more relevant to most med students and physicians than calculus. If you are VERY confident that you could retake one of those calculus classes and boost that D to an A or a B--and you have the time and money to devote to that effort--then I think that would further solidify the opinion among admissions folks that you're solid with your math skills and that you just had a couple bad runs in undergrad.

But the fact remains that your overall GPA and BCPM-GPA are on the low side. I think there are other things you could focus time on to improve the strength of your application instead of retaking calculus. I would continue to focus on doing very well on organic chemistry II. Try to get some very strong letters of recommendation from your post-bacc science faculty. Consider taking additional upper-level biology or physics courses that might dispel any concerns about your ability to do well in those types of courses.

I'm not saying any of the above to be mean or discouraging. I'm just saying I think there are other fish to fry and that the D in calculus won't make or break your application.

Good luck!

I didn't find you mean or discouraging at all. Thank you so much for your input! I know I have a long road ahead of me and I've never experienced pre-med advising before, so every bit counts. I genuinely am grateful for your two cents and I will be adding on some upper level science courses to my plan of study. Thank you :D!

Members don't see this ad :)
And now for the other side --- UGrad BSEET from DeVry Institute in 1985 -- 3.33 -- about 7 I's that turned to F's at both the graduate and undergraduate level in the intervening 17 years -- when I got serious, prereqs were from various CC's and maintained a 4.0. Never took more than 2 classes at a time but worked 2-3 part time jobs while doing this and studying for the MCAT. Previous version of the MCAT -- 25P (max was 45 -- average was like a 32-33).

Now a BC FM attending....it can be done, but you gotta work it, work it.....;->

Reactions: 2 users
And now for the other side --- UGrad BSEET from DeVry Institute in 1985 -- 3.33 -- about 7 I's that turned to F's at both the graduate and undergraduate level in the intervening 17 years -- when I got serious, prereqs were from various CC's and maintained a 4.0. Never took more than 2 classes at a time but worked 2-3 part time jobs while doing this and studying for the MCAT. Previous version of the MCAT -- 25P (max was 45 -- average was like a 32-33).

Now a BC FM attending....it can be done, but you gotta work it, work it.....;->

Great to hear a success story, Bill! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. I keep the underdogs in mind when I continue working, hahah! Thanks for the reply!