California Applicants DPT 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I ask what were you guys' stats? I received a rejection from them. Thanks and congrats!!!

University: California State University San Marcos
Major: BS in Kinesiology (Pre-PT)
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75-3.85
GRE: 153 Q, 147 V, 3.5 AW

Extra-Curric: San Diego Food Bank Volunteer, Kinesiology Club Philanthropy chair, Disabled Student Services note taker, Campus Recreation Student Assistant (3yrs)

Observation: 4 settings: 1550 orthopedic outpatient (PT Aide), 100 orthopedic/wellness center, 45 acute rehab unit inpatient, 42 pediatrics

LOR: 1 outpatient physical therapist (orthopedic), 1 inpatient physical therapist (hospital), 2 professors (Ex. Physiology & Anatomy & Physiology)

Achievements: Magna Cum Laude

Applied
: Regis University, Fresno State, CSUN, CSUS, Chapman, CSULB, University of Florida, UNLV, West Virginia University, University of Colorado, WesternU, Midwestern (AZ)

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews: *Fresno State (1/27)

*Regis (1/26 & 1/29) & Univ. of Colorado (1/26 & 1/27) have conflicting interview dates with Fresno State, if given the opportunity to interview at these Colorado schools I may deny Fresno State’s interview offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Extra-Curric: San Diego Food Bank Volunteer, Kinesiology Club Philanthropy chair, Disabled Student Services note taker, Campus Recreation Student Assistant (3yrs)

Observation: 4 settings: 1550 orthopedic outpatient (PT Aide), 100 orthopedic/wellness center, 45 acute rehab unit inpatient, 42 pediatrics

LOR: 1 outpatient physical therapist (orthopedic), 1 inpatient physical therapist (hospital), 2 professors (Ex. Physiology & Anatomy & Physiology)

Applied
: Regis University, Fresno State, CSUN, CSUS, Chapman, CSULB, University of Florida, UNLV, West Virginia University, University of Colorado, WesternU, Midwestern (AZ)

Acceptances:
Rejections:

*Regis (1/26 & 1/29) & Univ. of Colorado (1/26 & 1/27) have conflicting interview dates with Fresno State, if given the opportunity to interview at these Colorado schools I may deny Fresno State’s interview offer.

Have you heard back from Sacramento State yet?

***UPDATE***
University:
California State University, Fullerton
Major: Kinesiology
PTCAS Overall GPA: 3.32
Pre-Req GPA: 3.60-3.75
GRE: 149V 156Q 4.0 AWA (Before-Sept. 15 schools) | 155V 159Q 4.0 AWA (After-Sept 15 schools)

Letters of Recommendation: 1 licensed PT from orthopedic, 1 licensed PT from VA, 1 professor from Biology department

Observation Hours: Outpatient: Orthopedic (405 hours) | Inpatient: Veterans Affair Subacute (77 hours), Skilled Nursing Facility (25 hours)

Extra-Curricular: Medical Office Front Desk (1 year), Server for catering company (February 2017-present)

Volunteer: Hospital Help Desk (1 month)

Applied: CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, CSU Fresno, CSU Sacramento, Loma Linda, Mount St. Mary's, UNLV, West Coast, Western University, Chapman

Soon to be applied: USC, SDSU

Interviews: West Coast University (sometime in January 2018)

Rejections:
CSU Fresno

Acceptances: TBD

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Applied

Acceptances:
Rejections:

Hm, you meet the requirements and have stats on-par with Western University's admission stats from previous years. Curious to know why they haven't sent you an interview invite yet. I know they sent them out as early as 2 weeks ago.

May I ask what were you guys' stats? I received a rejection from them. Thanks and congrats!!!

Major: Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.48-3.5
GRE: 162Q, 159V, 5AW

Extra-Curricular: Volunteer for clinic that serves homeless and uninsured populations, medical mission, mentored students studying science discipline

Observation: ~900 hours orthopedic outpatient (PT Aide), 65 hours SNF, 70 hours acute

LOR: 2 outpatient physical therapist, 2 professors

Achievements: Dean's honors list

Applied
: Fresno, SDSU, UCSF/SFSU, USC, CSUN, WesternU, Samuel Merritt, and a few out of state schools

Acceptances: one out of state school (lol sorry trying to remain somewhat anonymous)
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: out of state school, Fresno

University: UC Berkeley
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 depending on school
GRE: 155Q, 155V, 4.5AW

Extra-Curricular: Intercollegiate Athlete at my JC (soccer), Student Mentor Volunteer, Yearbook Club photographer, part-time soccer trainer, full time English teacher abroad (~1+yr)

Observation: ~70 university orthopedic outpatient, 79 peds hospital, 24 SNF, 14 outpatient wellness/health clinic abroad

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 professor, 1 employer

Achievements: Dean's honors list, presidents honors list a few semesters

Applied
: Chapman (ED), Samuel Merritt, University of the Pacific, Drexel, Uni of Delaware, Loma Linda Uni, Regis University, Duke

Acceptances: TBA
Rejections: Chapman ED (still in running for RD)
Interviews: University of Delaware, Loma Linda University, Uni of the Pacific

I had a few friends that went through this process last year between SFSU/UCSF and Regis. They all had to choose which school to attend the interview with and weren't able to change dates for the other, thus forfeiting their app. :/ I'm going to have this issue with SFSU/UCSF, Regis, and U of Colorado... All on the same weekend lolol

Kind of a bummer, but best of luck to everyone!!!!

Did you hear of anyone managing to fit in two in one weekend? I'm holding off RSVPing for Fresno because they let you submit a preference for morning or afternoon and I wonder if somehow I'll be able to make it work :\ UCSF and Fresno are the two I want to be able to choose between.

Has anyone heard from Azusa?
Their start date is in February. I thought they’d send out interview invites by now.

Did you hear of anyone managing to fit in two in one weekend? I'm holding off RSVPing for Fresno because they let you submit a preference for morning or afternoon and I wonder if somehow I'll be able to make it work :\ UCSF and Fresno are the two I want to be able to choose between.

My buddy had the same dilemma last year. He ended up going to UCSF’s interview instead of Fresno’s. Hope you find a way to make it to both.

University: Point Loma Nazarene University
Major: Applied Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.56
GRE: 294 (146 Q, 144 V, 4.0 AW)

Observation: 350+ hours Private Outpatient, 20 hours Inpatient

LOR: 1 physical therapist, 2 Professors

Volunteer: Children's ministry, Mexico Mission trips, Homework Coach

Applied: Loma Linda University, St. Augustine San Marcos, CSULB, Western U, Midwestern Glendale, Creighton University

Interviews: Loma Linda University (September 29th), Creighton University (January 19th), St. Augustine (December 1st)

Acceptances: TBD

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Azusa?
Their start date is in February. I thought they’d send out interview invites by now.
I haven't heard anything yet, but I turned in my application right before the deadline.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I turned in my application right before the deadline.

I received an email from Azusa today. Their cohort is full already. They’re allowing me to roll over my application to the next term. I also submitted my application close to the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
University: UC Berkeley
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 depending on school
GRE: 155Q, 155V, 4.5AW

Extra-Curricular: Intercollegiate Athlete at my JC (soccer), Student Mentor Volunteer, Yearbook Club photographer, part-time soccer trainer, full time English teacher abroad (~1+yr)

Observation: ~70 university orthopedic outpatient, 79 peds hospital, 24 SNF, 14 outpatient wellness/health clinic abroad

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 professor, 1 employer

Achievements: Dean's honors list, presidents honors list a few semesters

Applied
: Chapman (ED), Samuel Merritt, University of the Pacific, Drexel, Uni of Delaware, Loma Linda Uni, Regis University, Duke

Acceptances: TBA
Rejections: Chapman ED (still in running for RD)
Interviews: University of Delaware, Loma Linda University, Uni of the Pacific

Hey! May I ask why chapman rejected your early decision application? I feel like you met all their ED requirements

Hopefully only one more month till everyone receives acceptance letters!

Mount St. Mary's just updated their admission status on their webadvisor as of today, 12/12. I have just been accepted!

Mount St. Mary's just updated their admission status on their webadvisor as of today, 12/12. I have just been accepted!
Hey man, I checked before hand too and was not sure if I was really accepted, but my status is accepted too!

Hey man, I checked before hand too and was not sure if I was really accepted, but my status is accepted too!
Congrats, I think we just gotta wait till a formal acceptance letter or call comes our way.

How were you able to check web advisor? Were you given a student ID?

How were you able to check web advisor? Were you given a student ID?
They sent an email last week with my login credentials and with it came a student email and student ID number.

Congrats to those who got into MSMU! One of my top choices (though not top top); I'm really bummed out that I've yet to receive anything from schools other than WCU and Fresno. WCU have yet to give me an interview date as well.

Congrats to those who got into MSMU! One of my top choices (though not top top); I'm really bummed out that I've yet to receive anything from schools other than WCU and Fresno. WCU have yet to give me an interview date as well.

Most programs don’t send out letters till January/February. So still have faith!

West Coast University interviews are set for January 26. I e-mailed Mary, the admissions advisor, and she told me they are still awaiting some additional information from the faculty, but the date is January 26 and will be sending a formal interview invitation with time soon.

Thank you! It was not a top school choice, but I am definitely considering it now. My top is Long Beach.

Well congrats again! Seems like a lot of people’s top choice is CSULB. I’m hoping they send out letters soon.

Has anyone done the Cal State application for SDSU that’s due tomorrow? The application asks for a statement of purpose but admissions said I don’t need to write one since there are separate essays in the DPT application already.

What should I put in the statement of purpose since it’s a required field? Could I just put “refer to DPT application” to make it generic for other state schools I need to submit a cal state app for? Thanks!

Has anyone done the Cal State application for SDSU that’s due tomorrow? The application asks for a statement of purpose but admissions said I don’t need to write one since there are separate essays in the DPT application already.

What should I put in the statement of purpose since it’s a required field? Could I just put “refer to DPT application” to make it generic for other state schools I need to submit a cal state app for? Thanks!

For the supplemental application (Interfolio), they require a "statement of purpose" as well. I pretty much wrote one statement of purpose and will be using it for the CalStateApply application as well as the supplemental application.

To add to that as well, I believe one CalStateApply application is for all the CSU's. So if you write "refer to DPT application", all the CSU's will see that and not just SDSU.

Just received an interview invite from CSU Sacramento for February 3, 2018.

Has anyone heard back from Samuel Merritt University in Oakland? When should we know about hearing back?

Has anyone heard back from Samuel Merritt University in Oakland? When should we know about hearing back?

I also got a phone call Thursday letting me know about my acceptance!!! Best of luck!

Does anyone know when we’ll hear back from UCSF/SFSU? I have received an interview invite for Regis University, but I would decline it if I got an interview for UCSF/SFSU (since they are of course held on the same weekend)

Does anyone know when we’ll hear back from UCSF/SFSU? I have received an interview invite for Regis University, but I would decline it if I got an interview for UCSF/SFSU (since they are of course held on the same weekend)
Scratch my question....just got an interview invite from UCSF :joyful:

Also just heard from UCSF about having an interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my invitation for an interview as well! I assume you both are going to attend? I just RSVP'd yes to mine! :)
Yes definitely! RSVP’d yes too! Does anyone know how many people they usually invite for interview? I know the class will only be 50. Trying to figure out how happy I should be, or if terrified is the better reaction!

I also just got an interview to UCSF! I will be flying in from out of state and curious where everyone will be staying and if anyone would like to meet up before the interview! Best of luck to everyone!!

Also, for the people who have heard from SMU, was it for an interview? I also applied and have not heard anything yet.

I also just got an interview to UCSF! I will be flying in from out of state and curious where everyone will be staying and if anyone would like to meet up before the interview! Best of luck to everyone!!

Also, for the people who have heard from SMU, was it for an interview? I also applied and have not heard anything yet.

I'll be flying up from San Diego! I'll most likely be looking for a spot closer to campus so I don't have to deal with any traffic the mornings of. I would be down to meet up before and maybe make our way there together or something! Feel free to send me a PM and I'll shoot you over a link to my Facebook so we can connect. :)

Last edited:
I have very similar stats, also went to SJSU and majored in Kin with an emphasis in rehab sciences

BS in Kinesiology
cGpa 3.42 (ptcas calculated)
pGPA 3.15 to 3.4 depending on the school

GRE: 151 Verbal, 156 quant, 3.5 AW

LoRs: 2 PTs I aide for (should be strong letters) and former ex phys professor

Hours: 30 inpatient (SNF), 1200 as outpatient PT aide, 20 hours in outpatient vestibular rehabilitation. 3 settings total

Extracurriculars: Research assistant volunteer in a sports psych research study, volunteer coach for children in underserved communities, admin in on campus bodybuilding group.

Applied to: CSU Sacramento and CSU Northridge, Mt St Mary's, University of St. Augustine

schools outside of CA: Touro Nevada, Midwestern Glendale, AT Still, Franklin Pierce AZ

No rejections, interviews or acceptances yet.

Accepted to University of St Augustine

Rejected to CSU Sac, Touro Nevada, Midwestern Glendale

Will attend USA unless CSU Northridge accepts me, which I’m not counting on

Accepted to University of St Augustine

Rejected to CSU Sac, Touro Nevada, Midwestern Glendale

Will attend USA unless CSU Northridge accepts me, which I’m not counting on

Congratulations on getting into St. Augustine! One of my top choices as it's close to home for me and I have several friends who go there. Have you gone through their interview process already? How was it?

Congratulations on getting into St. Augustine! One of my top choices as it's close to home for me and I have several friends who go there. Have you gone through their interview process already? How was it?

Thank you!

It was very relaxed, some general and easy questions. It really was a group discussion with 6 people including me rather than an actual interview. The interviewer would ask a question and the seven of us including the interviewer would discuss possible answers or our opinions to the question.

Questions that were asked were why are your pursuing PT as a career, where do you see yourself in ten years, and one other question that I don’t remember. They also give you the opportunity to ask questions. I asked about whether there are opportunities to conduct research with the faculty at the program, I also asked about the emphasis placed on manual therapy in the program and asked her to elaborate on it because I was aware that it was a significant component of their program that they emphasize more than other programs do.

Overall it was very chill, not intense at all. Just try to be comfortable and try to engage in discussions with others, don’t try too hard to “wow” the admissions committee, just be yourself, give good examples that you can connect from your personal experiences and you’ll be okay. That’s what I did and it got me in :)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask

I messaged a couple of the current students going there right now and am awaiting responses. My friend's sister goes there currently and he asked her some questions for me as well. We'll see what they say!

I'll be flying up from San Diego! I'll most likely be looking for a spot closer to campus so I don't have to deal with any traffic the mornings of. I would be down to meet up before and maybe make our way there together or something! Feel free to send me a PM and I'll shoot you over a link to my Facebook so we can connect. :)

I also got an interview invite from UCSF/SFSU!! I also just sent in my RSVP for Fresno's interview yesterday, but would honestly rather go to UCSF's because it's one of my top choices haha. So exciting and good luck to everyone!

Received an acceptance call from Samuel Merritt last Friday and got the interview invite from UCSF today as well! UCSF is my top choice so I am very excited!!!

I also got an interview invite from UCSF/SFSU!! I also just sent in my RSVP for Fresno's interview yesterday, but would honestly rather go to UCSF's because it's one of my top choices haha. So exciting and good luck to everyone!

Received an acceptance call from Samuel Merritt last Friday and got the interview invite from UCSF today as well! UCSF is my top choice so I am very excited!!!

Congrats, you two! :)