California Applicants DPT 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an acceptance call from Samuel Merritt last Friday and got the interview invite from UCSF today as well! UCSF is my top choice so I am very excited!!!

Did you already have an interview to Samuel Merritt!?

Members don't see this ad.

I also just got an interview to UCSF! I will be flying in from out of state and curious where everyone will be staying and if anyone would like to meet up before the interview! Best of luck to everyone!!

Also, for the people who have heard from SMU, was it for an interview? I also applied and have not heard anything yet.

SMU doesn't conduct interviews so they're already sending out acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from CSULB (not ED) or CSUN?

I also received an interview invite to UCSF!! But I received one for University of Colorado for the either the 26th or 27th as well and they are both top choices for me.. is anyone else running into the same problem??? :/

I also received an interview invite to UCSF!! But I received one for University of Colorado for the either the 26th or 27th as well and they are both top choices for me.. is anyone else running into the same problem??? :/
Yes, same issue with University of Colorado and Fresno State interview dates conflicting. However, since I also received an interview for Regis University I am choosing to attend both CO school interviews and forfeit my Fresno State interview. University of Colorado is my #1

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, same issue with University of Colorado and Fresno State interview dates conflicting. However, since I also received an interview for Regis University I am choosing to attend both CO school interviews and forfeit my Fresno State interview. University of Colorado is my #1
That absolutely makes sense! I also received an interview invite from Regis so I've been trying to see how I can do all of them :/ or at least UCSF and CU since they have been my top choices for a very long time. Super tough and stressful that they are all during the same time.. Also, congrats!! That's super exciting.

I received an interview invite for UCSF as well! Did anyone receive some sort of RSVP confirmation after you confirmed your attendance through the link?

That absolutely makes sense! I also received an interview invite from Regis so I've been trying to see how I can do all of them :/ or at least UCSF and CU since they have been my top choices for a very long time. Super tough and stressful that they are all during the same time.. Also, congrats!! That's super exciting.
Definitely email Lauren, she helped me out with selecting an interview date that will allow me to interview at both Regis and CU. She said since I emailed her with concerns so early in the process that she can grant my request.

Just got an interview invitation at Western University of Health Sciences!

I received an interview invite for UCSF as well! Did anyone receive some sort of RSVP confirmation after you confirmed your attendance through the link?

I haven't received anything yet. I'm guessing they're going to wait until they have a certain amount of RSVPs then send out a confirmation email with the date (Friday or Saturday) your actual interview is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody knows when we should hear back from University of the Pacific? I saw mid-to-late December so we should be receiving interview invites and such correct?

Has anyone heard from Samuel Merritt at all this week? It seems like everyone heard last week. I’m thinking they may be done, but am wondering about waitlists (and secretly hoping for a second round of admissions).

Has anyone heard from Samuel Merritt at all this week? It seems like everyone heard last week. I’m thinking they may be done, but am wondering about waitlists (and secretly hoping for a second round of admissions).
I applied to SMU also and havent heard anything yet.

University: CSUN
Major: Cell and Molecular Biology
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 157 Q, 152 V, 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 325 hours total: 120 Outpatient, 60 Skilled Nursing Facility, 145 Inpatient Hospital in Acute Rehab Dept

Extra-Curric: Rehab Tech at Hospital, Medical mission in slum areas of Thailand (1 month), 1 year of undergraduate research on heritable disorders, 10+ years of soccer, Played intramural sport for a semester, 1 year job, Dean's List

Recommendation Letters: 3 Letters: 1- Undergraduate research prof, 1- PT in Rehab Dept at Hospital, 1- PT from outpatient clinic

Applying to: CSUN, CSUF, Chapman, Western U, Mt. St. Mary, NAU, USC, UNLV, University of Central Arkansas

Interview: CSUF (1/27, declined), Western U (1/11, declined), Central Arkansas (12/8, declined), NAU (1/26, declined)

Acceptances: CSUN (12/20), USC (12/13)

I guess you were one of the top 32 that received the first round of letters from CSUN.

So if we didn't hear from CSUN yet, then we got declined? Are they done accepting people?

Anybody knows when we should hear back from University of the Pacific? I saw mid-to-late December so we should be receiving interview invites and such correct?
I received a call from the University of the Pacific November 14th informing me of an interview invitation.

Has anyone applied to UCSF/SFSU and got a rejection? I see many people here got an interview invite back in December, but I have not heard anything from them at all. I was under the impression that they would notify everyone about interviews today (January 6, 2018), per their website timeline, but we now know it happened much earlier. I wonder if they'll be sending a second batch of invites after some people decline. I just want to stay hopeful, because it's my top program choice....:nailbiting:

Last edited:
University: UC Berkeley
Major: Nutritional Science
Overall GPA: 3.1
Pre-Req GPA: 3.00
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.64
GRE: 149 Q, 156 V, 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 2576 hours total: 2450 Outpatient, 51 Outpatient Hospital Setting, 75 Inpatient Hospital in Acute Rehab Dept

Extra-Curric: NCAA Varsity Athlete, Founder, Strength & Conditioning Coach Intern, 5 Certifications (CSCS, etc.), Co-Captain of a Fundraising Team/Page

Recommendation Letters: 4 Letters: 1- Undergraduate prof, 2- PT from outpatient clinic, 1 -Post-Bacc prof

Applied to: USC, CSUN, CSULB, Fresno, Uni. St. Augstine, NYU, Western U, Chapman, Azusa, GWU, UIC, Temple, Touro, ULNV, BU, LIU, NYIT, Columbia, MGHIHP, MidWestern (CHI)

Interviews: NYIT (11/3, waitlisted), NYU (11/10, haven't heard back), University of St. Augustine (12/1, haven't heard back)

Acceptances: USC (12/13)

Rejections: LIU, MGHIHP

To anyone who submitted the Cal State Apply application, did you have to fill out every section of the application?
It's very similar to PTCAS and that was a time consuming application so it would be nice not to have to go through that again. It also looks like we have to write a different statement of purpose since the prompt is not about professionalism.

Last edited:
To anyone who submitted the Cal State Apply application, did you have to fill out every section of the application?
It's very similar to PTCAS and that was a time consuming application so it would be nice not to have to go through that again. It also looks like we have to write a different statement of purpose since the prompt is not about professionalism.

It depends on which schools you applied to that are using the Cal State Apply application. If you can verify which schools you are filling it out for I can probably answer your question, as I completed it for multiple schools.

It depends on which schools you applied to that are using the Cal State Apply application. If you can verify which schools you are filling it out for I can probably answer your question, as I completed it for multiple schools.

I was able to figure it out. Thanks for the offer to help though.

Major: Nutritional Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.63
GRE: 156V, 157Q, 4.5AW

Extra-Curric: Myopia research (2 years), Dragon Boat (4 years, 1 year as coach), SURF Research Fellow, Undergrad student instructor for Physiology lab, Lab Assistant at Science Hall (2 years)

Observation: PT Aide at an outpatient practice (~2000 hours, Current), Volunteer in Children's Hospital inpatient pediatric rehab (28 hours), Volunteer in outpatient Sports Medicine (21 hours), Volunteer at SNF (45 hours), Volunteer at outpatient practice (84 hours)

LOR: 1 PT, 1 Professor (myopia research), 1 employer

Applied: USC, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, CSULB, Northridge
Acceptances: N/A
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A

Still haven't heard back from anywhere yet (1/13/18)!

Major: Nutritional Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.63
GRE: 156V, 157Q, 4.5AW

Extra-Curric: Myopia research (2 years), Dragon Boat (4 years, 1 year as coach), SURF Research Fellow, Undergrad student instructor for Physiology lab, Lab Assistant at Science Hall (2 years)

Observation: PT Aide at an outpatient practice (~2000 hours, Current), Volunteer in Children's Hospital inpatient pediatric rehab (28 hours), Volunteer in outpatient Sports Medicine (21 hours), Volunteer at SNF (45 hours), Volunteer at outpatient practice (84 hours)

LOR: 1 PT, 1 Professor (myopia research), 1 employer

Applied: USC, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, CSULB, Northridge
Acceptances: N/A
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A

Still haven't heard back from anywhere yet (1/13/18)!

I have heard USC, Northridge, Chapman, and possibly Samuel Merritt have given out their acceptances already

I have heard USC, Northridge, Chapman, and possibly Samuel Merritt have given out their acceptances already
I can confirm Samuel Merritt has sent out acceptances, although I declined the offer so hopefully that helps!

Chapman barely sent out acceptances for summer not for fall yet.

I just got an email that I was put on the wait list high tier for CSULB. I'm really bummed out. Does anyone know about how many people they go through on their wait list?

I just got an email that I was put on the wait list high tier for CSULB. I'm really bummed out. Does anyone know about how many people they go through on their wait list?
Hey, keep your head up and be positive. From what I have gathered from scrolling through the forum, CSULB do accept from the high-tier waitlist. I'm not sure how exactly how many. So hope is not lost! Anyways have you heard back from Chapman?

Hey, keep your head up and be positive. From what I have gathered from scrolling through the forum, CSULB do accept from the high-tier waitlist. I'm not sure how exactly how many. So hope is not lost! Anyways have you heard back from Chapman?
Thanks! I got an email about a week ago saying that the Summer and fall application are still under consideration, but they haven't made their final decision. I think they sent out acceptance for the summer already. Have you heard back from any schools?

Don’t worry! You still have a chance. Just stay positive. And the number of waitlist positions varies each cycle. If it’s not too much, would you mind sharing your stats?

Don’t worry! You still have a chance. Just stay positive. And the number of waitlist positions varies each cycle. If it’s not too much, would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

University: South Carolina State University
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155V 158Q 3.5 AW

1400 hours in 2 clinical settings

Applied to: CSUN, CSULB, WEST COAST UNIVERSITY, CHAPMAN

Waitlist: CSULB 1/15/2018
Interview: West Coast University (TBD)
Rejection: N/A
Accepted: N/A

Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

University: South Carolina State University
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155V 158Q 3.5 AW

1400 hours in 2 clinical settings

Applied to: CSUN, CSULB, WEST COAST UNIVERSITY, CHAPMAN

Waitlist: CSULB 1/15/2018
Interview: West Coast University (TBD)
Rejection: N/A
Accepted: N/A

That is weird. I know someone who just got in and he has lower stats than you.

That is weird. I know someone who just got in and he has lower stats than you.

It's probably because I graduated in 2013.. it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do

Does that apply to people who are "accepted" as well, not just for waitlist?
I'm pretty sure they give 2 weeks to get a response for everyone. At least that's what I have seen.

I got put on the high tier wait list as well.

Do you know when their deadline for accepting the offer is?

Gosh everyone is hearing back and I haven’t received anything. It’s freaking me out now and the people who got accepted have to the 29th to decide.

Gosh everyone is hearing back and I haven’t received anything. It’s freaking me out now and the people who got accepted have to the 29th to decide.
Don't freak out! Just wait it out and keep positive. I'm sure you'll hear something good soon!

You have pretty good stats, I'm surprised you haven't heard back. What is your gre if I may ask?
Call them tomorrow!
Or check the application status online for csulb. They give you a detailed report.

Thanks! I got an email about a week ago saying that the Summer and fall application are still under consideration, but they haven't made their final decision. I think they sent out acceptance for the summer already. Have you heard back from any schools?

I'm also on the waitlist for CSULB, and I'm hoping to hear back from Chapman soon, fingers crossed! Good luck to the both of us.

I was also placed on the waitlist for CSULB.

For those who were offered interviews at both Fresno and UCSF/SFSU, did you figure out if you're going to try to go to both or if you picked one over the other??

For those who were offered interviews at both Fresno and UCSF/SFSU, did you figure out if you're going to try to go to both or if you picked one over the other??
I picked UCSF/SFSU over Fresno, it’s higher on my list of schools so it wasn’t hard to choose between.

I picked UCSF/SFSU over Fresno, it’s higher on my list of schools so it wasn’t hard to choose between.
Did you email Ashley saying that you won't be able to make it to the Fresno interview?

I was placed on CSULB's waitlist as well. Also, I emailed Ashley notifying her that I will no longer be attending the interview because of an interview at CU Denver. She finally got back to me today.

Has anyone heard back from UCSF/SFSU with the specific interview times and details yet?

If anyone is like me and hasn’t received an email from CSULB yet. They are sending out emails through out the entire week.