California Northstate Accreditation Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can you work if you have a license but the school is candidate status?

Members don't see this ad.

jesus you guys have no comprehension ability

or have no idea what "being licensed" means

so hey...if i get my driver's license, but my driving instructor dies 24 years later...can i still drive?

jesus you guys have no comprehension ability

or have no idea what "being licensed" means

so hey...if i get my driver's license, but my driving instructor dies 24 years later...can i still drive?

lmao, good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you work if you have a license but the school is candidate status?

Wow this forum amazes me. There are some intelligent people on here and some that are clearly not. Probably all the waitlisted people which kinda proves their status.....

Wow this forum amazes me. There are some intelligent people on here and some that are clearly not. Probably all the waitlisted people which kinda proves their status.....
hey if you don't want to answer the question mind your own business...there are different reasons why people are waitlisted it doesn't mean we aren't intelligent so stop talking out of your ass...i wasn't familiar with all the accreditation rules and bs and half the people on this forum say you can't work even with a license and some say you can...think before you talk and dont judge people based on what they ask on here...you dont even know me

hey if you don't want to answer the question mind your own business...there are different reasons why people are waitlisted it doesn't mean we aren't intelligent so stop talking out of your ass...i wasn't familiar with all the accreditation rules and bs and half the people on this forum say you can't work even with a license and some say you can...think before you talk and dont judge people based on what they ask on here...you dont even know me

Who says that?!

<citation needed>
next time i come up against someone saying that i'll put it up here...i don't have time right now to go through all the threads i've read and find them. Sorry...

next time i come up against someone saying that i'll put it up here...i don't have time right now to go through all the threads i've read and find them. Sorry...

No problem. I am just startled that half the people on SDN say that. Wowzers.

No problem. I am just startled that half the people on SDN say that. Wowzers.
ya i was surprised because from my research i know that with a license even if the school isn't accredited you still hold a license so you can work as a pharmacist. some said if your school isn't fully accredited you can't work until they get accredited so i was confused...

I really was not trying to offend you and this post was not necessarily directed at you- there are several of people on this forum that I question what they post. And I don't know all the rules and have even asked a few questions myself, so no judging here. I just found it annoying that the same question was asked several times and the same answer was given several times- let's move on to other topics, not ask the same question in a different way.

dont judge people based on what they ask on here...you dont even know me

tumblr_lzpwopxQjY1r16hn0o1_500_large.png

rofl you are clearly a n00b

And on a serious note, people who can't interpret posts that are not, at face, the clear/explicit answer need to learn the art lest they doom themselves to failure in the real world.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really was not trying to offend you and this post was not necessarily directed at you- there are several of people on this forum that I question what they post. And I don't know all the rules and have even asked a few questions myself, so no judging here. I just found it annoying that the same question was asked several times and the same answer was given several times- let's move on to other topics, not ask the same question in a different way.
sry it just seemed you were targeting me but i agree, i was just hearing different answers and didn't know who was right

tumblr_lzpwopxQjY1r16hn0o1_500_large.png

rofl you are clearly a n00b

And on a serious note, people who can't interpret posts that are not, at face, the clear/explicit answer need to learn the art lest they doom themselves to failure in the real world.
and yes i am new at this i just graduated my undergrad in june and its my first time applying so that's why i'm asking questions so "experienced" people like you can give straight answers, which you seem to do...

So back to topic, anyone know how the job outlook/residency process went for the 2012 grads? Let's assume this place gets accredited...the next question becomes, "are these grads functional/employable?"

Unfortunately that # is sortof useless without the # of people who applied.

But given that they had like 70-90 people in their first class, 6-8 seems low.

I doubt you'll get the exact numbers since its hard to even get match statistics from established programs.

~15 applied for residency, 8 matched. Source = CNCP c/o 2012 grads x2

How were you able to talk to these grads?

I chained one to a pipe in my basement and played Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe until they gave up the information I needed. Duh.

I chained one to a pipe in my basement and played Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe until they gave up the information I needed. Duh.

Haha, I thought Justin Bieber would've been more humane.

Did they interview for a job at your hospital?

Haha, I thought Justin Bieber would've been more humane.

Did they interview for a job at your hospital?

No we didn't even bother calling them in, decent #'s of PGY1 trained, 1-3 years experienced, or known rotating students turned graduates candidates to choose from.

CNCP grad #1 PM'd me on SDN, CNCP grad #2 was with my Touro friend at In N Out and I ended up sitting with them.

No we didn't even bother calling them in, decent #'s of PGY1 trained, 1-3 years experienced, or known rotating students turned graduates candidates to choose from.

CNCP grad #1 PM'd me on SDN, CNCP grad #2 was with my Touro friend at In N Out and I ended up sitting with them.

What were your impressions of the student that you met with? Knowledgeable but not street smart? Street smart but not knowledgeable?

What were your impressions of the student that you met with? Knowledgeable but not street smart? Street smart but not knowledgeable?

She was normal...I mean, I wasn't about to test her clinical knowledge at freaking in n out, but she seemed with it. About as normal as you can get. ::shrug::

She was normal...I mean, I wasn't about to test her clinical knowledge at freaking in n out, but she seemed with it. About as normal as you can get. ::shrug::

LOL! What kind of job does she lined up?

I think a 53% match rate is good for a brand new school.

53% is below the national average of 60%.

What do you think about only 19% of the first class (assuming 78 people, sortof rough counted their photo on the website's front page) applying in the first place?

That seems low, I only know the figures for another fall 2008 opening school for their first class where just under 50% of the student body applied and had a 74% match rate.

Not enough to compare, I'd want the data from the other schools as well.

To be fair to CNCP, their first class had a low amount of people interested in a residency because they weren't exposed to much else besides retail. I didn't know much about anything else until I went to school and orgs such as cshp, ashp, and amcp asked me to join. Also, the first year class was so to speak bottom of the barrel students in CA, they were there to get a degree and make the money. The subsequent classes had more people involved in all the organizations so I expect more of them will apply.

My first had experience with CNCP students have been very positive, no complaints during our rotations but it's because of my site. I have heard numerous complaints from other preceptors that CNCP students were the worst clinically prepared students compared to UOP, UCSF, and Touro, the 3 other school students that we get in Sac.

To be fair to CNCP, their first class had a low amount of people interested in a residency because they weren't exposed to much else besides retail. I didn't know much about anything else until I went to school and orgs such as cshp, ashp, and amcp asked me to join. Also, the first year class was so to speak bottom of the barrel students in CA, they were there to get a degree and make the money. The subsequent classes had more people involved in all the organizations so I expect more of them will apply.

Which is why a comparison to other "first class" schools that opened in fall 2008 is the most useful measure. Orgs aside, professors and preceptors should also be reinforcing the idea that students explore residency. ASHP/CSHP/AMCP shouldn't have exclusive domain over promoting post-graduate training.

My first had experience with CNCP students have been very positive, no complaints during our rotations but it's because of my site. I have heard numerous complaints from other preceptors that CNCP students were the worst clinically prepared students compared to UOP, UCSF, and Touro, the 3 other school students that we get in Sac.

This is what I've been hearing as well. I actually haven't heard anything good in terms of clinical acumen/performance out of this school.

Which is why a comparison to other "first class" schools that opened in fall 2008 is the most useful measure. Orgs aside, professors and preceptors should also be reinforcing the idea that students explore residency. ASHP/CSHP/AMCP shouldn't have exclusive domain over promoting post-graduate training.

This is what I've been hearing as well. I actually haven't heard anything good in terms of clinical acumen/performance out of this school.

Didn't All4Mydaughter's school open Fall 2008? Maybe you can ask her.

~15 applied for residency, 8 matched. Source = CNCP c/o 2012 grads x2

Seems to be better than my class. But I think for my class it was like 10 applied for residency, 3 matched for residencies, but we had like 10 match for fellowships. Total of 63 graduating students for us. A lot of our class wanted to do retail. I think what hurt my class a lot was that since we have only 2 years of didactic classes we have 2 years of classes to be graded on. Our rotations are not graded at all and did not factor into our GPA. But, Touro NY decided that rotations will be graded for Class of 2013 and beyond. It ****ing sucks for us 2012 grads, I was hoping to just go on cruise control and just get Cs through first 2 didactic, then get As on rotations. I'm hoping a year of working as a pharmacist will be enough to toss my GPA out of the residency requirements.

Didn't All4Mydaughter's school open Fall 2008? Maybe you can ask her.

My school opened Fall 2008 also.

Last edited:
I was hoping to just go on cruise control and just get Cs through first 2 didactic, then get As on rotations. I'm hoping a year of working as a pharmacist will be enough to toss my GPA out of the residency requirements.

This is why almost every single person I've talked to about GPA's and residency applications essentially ignored the rotation year GPA because it essentially acted as padding. That, and there's too much variability in what constitutes an "A" from one preceptor to the next.

So don't worry, your school's c/o 2013 didn't suddenly get any advantage in the residency process.

This is why almost every single person I've talked to about GPA's and residency applications essentially ignored the rotation year GPA because it essentially acted as padding. That, and there's too much variability in what constitutes an "A" from one preceptor to the next.

So don't worry, your school's c/o 2013 didn't suddenly get any advantage in the residency process.

There's gotta be a better way of assessing clinical ability than GPA and projects/presentations. The NAPLEX was an absolute joke of a test. I had a C+ GPA and I aced the NAPLEX.

Maybe they should develop something like what our MD counterparts have. Perhaps something like the USMLE Step 3 Exam.

There's gotta be a better way of assessing clinical ability than GPA and projects/presentations. The NAPLEX was an absolute joke of a test. I had a C+ GPA and I aced the NAPLEX.

Maybe they should develop something like what our MD counterparts have. Perhaps something like the USMLE Step 3 Exam.

Yeah well NAPLEX isn't powered/designed to measure clinical ability, its sole purpose is to determine "minimum competency" which a lot of people don't seem to understand on here. People get hung up on naplex pass rates like its the end all/be all of pharmacy metrics.

Granted, there's a dearth of objective data...I guess that's one of the few things available so people cling to it.

We don't do enough to warrant a 3 step exam, I think LOR's and clinical decision making cases at residency interviews are sufficient at figuring out if a candidate is a star or a dud.

Yeah well NAPLEX isn't powered/designed to measure clinical ability, its sole purpose is to determine "minimum competency" which a lot of people don't seem to understand on here. People get hung up on naplex pass rates like its the end all/be all of pharmacy metrics.

Granted, there's a dearth of objective data...I guess that's one of the few things available so people cling to it.

We don't do enough to warrant a 3 step exam, I think LOR's and clinical decision making cases at residency interviews are sufficient at figuring out if a candidate is a star or a dud.

The NAPLEX is seriously a joke.

I got a score way over passing off of like 8 hours of studying. If you can't pass it, you are either incredibly unlucky in what they chose to ask or you are the bottom of the barrel.

Without a doubt, the NAPLEX needs to be several degrees more difficult. There is very VERY little clinical discussion or interpretation involved. It's all what color is a Coumadin 5mg and what blood pressure drug might cause a cough. Stuff you can look up in a second. We need more critical thought...REAL critical thought...built into the test.

53% is below the national average of 60%.

Ok...wait...so 60% of the students are going into residencies? Really? When the hell did this happen? And nobody is concerned about the fact that these residencies specialize people into narrow career directions? It's not like there are that many jobs out there for that sort of training. What happens when they can't find a job and they've become too specialized to work retail, mail, or whatever else a generalist PharmD could do fresh out of graduation? Does anyone else see how the numbers don't seem like they should add up or am I crazy?

Ok...wait...so 60% of the students are going into residencies? Really? When the hell did this happen? And nobody is concerned about the fact that these residencies specialize people into narrow career directions? It's not like there are that many jobs out there for that sort of training. What happens when they can't find a job and they've become too specialized to work retail, mail, or whatever else a generalist PharmD could do fresh out of graduation? Does anyone else see how the numbers don't seem like they should add up or am I crazy?

My DOP warned me about this...about becoming too specialized/narrow.

60% of 20% of the people that apply. So really like 12%. Still very small amount of unicorns running around :p

My DOP warned me about this...about becoming too specialized/narrow.

So wait! You're telling me that being a rph in a pharmacist run coumadin clinic might be a bad idea with all the new anticoag drugs coming out?!!? SAY IT ISN"T SO! Seriously, I feel bad for those kids.

Moolman, what kind of site are you at? Don' thave to say specifically ... how describe the students you get from CNCP?

60% of 20% of the people that apply. So really like 12%. Still very small amount of unicorns running around :p

Ugh I know, this drives me nuts...match rate means nothing. We have a school in our area (diploma mill) that claims they have the highest match rate, but in reality they had <10 students even apply for residency. It doesn't mean anything when you compare the established schools that had more candidates apply and they matched a larger number of students and greater percent go to residency compared to their total number of students.

Whoa...page 11!

Ugh I know, this drives me nuts...match rate means nothing. We have a school in our area (diploma mill) that claims they have the highest match rate, but in reality they had <10 students even apply for residency. It doesn't mean anything when you compare the established schools that had more candidates apply and they matched a larger number of students and greater percent go to residency compared to their total number of students.

Whoa...page 11!

Reminds me of "But our drug has a RRR of 100000000%! But the incidence is 0.0000000000000000001%"