Can a physician rewrite a prescription for a lost controlled substance script?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Richardson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on Adderall since 8/2010 and have never lost a prescription given to me from my physician. On 10/30/15 I went to see my doctor for my semi-annual, scheduled II drug doctor visit and he wrote me 3 scripts. One was for November 2015, which I filled a few days later, the other two were post dated to be filled December 2015 and January 2016 (this is how he's done it for years now)

I'm about 99% sure I mistakenly threw the 12/15 and 1/16 scripts in the trash by mistake while cleaning my car a few days after my first script was filled. I just noticed they were missing yesterday when I went to CVS to fill my December 2015 script and trust me, I've looked everywhere for them.

I live in Texas and was told by the nurse/office assistant (after I explained the situation) that by law they can't rewrite the prescription. However, I've read on other forums that a doctor CAN rewrite a lost or stolen prescription for a schedule II controlled substance and it's the physician's discretion.

I've been going to him for about 6 years now, never had this happen before. On top of that, I'm drug tested every time I go in for a script and never had problems from that.

What is my doctor legally able to do in this situation? What are my options here? Given my position at my company (just recently promoted), I can't afford to go without them for 2 months.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

In before the lock.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't you think you should ask him?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please help!

No.

SDN is not for the dispensing of medical advice, nor do we give medicolegal advice. If you have questions about a state's legal particulars as they relate to your case, contact a lawyer.

If you want to ask a hypothetical or broadly applicable question, then we're happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users
I meet with my doctor in a few days, the nurse won't let me speak with him directly over the phone yet. I'm asking because if he goes with the whole "legally I can't" nonsense, I'd like to know if he's telling me the truth or if he thinks I'm lying about it. I don't want to stay with a physician that doesn't have any sort of trust built between us after 6 years...

No.

SDN is not for the dispensing of medical advice, nor do we give medicolegal advice. If you have questions about a state's legal particulars as they relate to your case, contact a lawyer.

If you want to ask a hypothetical or broadly applicable question, then we're happy to help.

OK, and I apologize for posting this thread, I'm just really concerned and didn't know who to talk to about this situation. Hypothetically, how would a physician typically confront a situation similar to this one where a patient lost his/her controlled substance script (not the medication)? What else can the patient do if the doctor cannot/will not write another prescription for the medication? Having to quit cold turkey after being on the medication for 10 years is a very frightening thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.