This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlassOnion

Reaction score
So my ultimate goal is to be a surgeon, however, I want to double major in nutrition while doing my undergrad so that by the time I start med school I will already have a stable job that can pull me through financially.
Is it possible to have a job like that and go to med school? How difficult/time consuming is the process for becoming a nutritionist. I thought it was just the four years but now I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my ultimate goal is to be a surgeon, however, I want to double major in nutrition while doing my undergrad so that by the time I start med school I will already have a stable job that can pull me through financially.
Is it possible to have a job like that and go to med school? How difficult/time consuming is the process for becoming a nutritionist. I thought it was just the four years but now I am not sure.

You can't have a job during medical school. If you do, publish it. That's how rare it is.

Reactions: 4 users
You will have absolutely no time to work a job while you are in med school. Financial aid will cover all that you need.

Reactions: 3 users
I want to double major in nutrition while doing my undergrad so that by the time I start med school I will already have a stable job that can pull me through financially.
Is it possible to have a job like that and go to med school?
Many medical schools have a policy against their students taking on employment during the school term.

Reactions: 4 users
Career suicide

Reactions: 2 users
At many schools holding any type of official employment during medical school is also expressly forbidden.

At least where I am, If the school finds out you have any type of regular employment (and tried to hide it from them) it can be grounds for dismissal.

*Any* free time you have:
>pursue hobbies (become an interesting person)
>do Q bank questions
>study
>spend time with friends/family

Thank you to all who replied, I know that in theory it sounds like a "good" plan but I see that it is not a realistic option. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user

The job market for “Nutritionists” in general is not the greatest. Would be tough to find a position with the flexibility you are looking for during medical school, especially fresh out of college. Plus all the stuff people said above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you to all who replied, I know that in theory it sounds like a "good" plan but I see that it is not a realistic option. Thanks again!

In theory, a lot of things sound good before starting medical school. But when you start an incredibly rigorous program similar to drinking from a fire hose while lit on fire along with a bunch of other former top college students, you’ll be amazed as to how things will change. It’s one thing to want to do well in medical school, rock the boards, and have fun on the side. But in reality, it’s going to be a whole different ballgame.

Reactions: 1 user