Can I get feedback on this question:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. ThorStrange

Reaction score
Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.
Is this question required or optional on the application?
If required, should I explain about one bad grade or low MCAT?

How should I approach this question? Should I mention the concern then provide positive aspects?

Members don't see this ad.

i've always felt it's more of an optional question. A chance for you to explain something in case you have something that needs explaining. IMO leave it blank unless you have something significant to add.

1) its opitional
2) do not, repeat, do not explain a few lower grades
3) do not explain a “low” MCAT as you shouldnt have been applying to a school where your MCAT is way below the 10% level

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also only explain something if you have an explanation. This may seem obvious but it actually is not.

If you don’t have a reason for that B- in Ochem sophomore year, then don’t try to explain it away with BS or redirection.

Reactions: 1 user
Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

How should I approach this question? Should I mention the concern then provide positive aspects?
Just to show you how adcom might respond....what would your explanation sound like?

Reactions: 1 user

Explanations always come off as excuses, no matter how well they're written

Explanations always come off as excuses, no matter how well they're written

I do think that there are extenuating circumstances that can explain grades and scores that happened after the event. I'm thinking of catastrophic events such as a family member murdered, family home burns to the ground, accident that lands several members of the immediate family in the hospital, you are forced to evacuate and live in a shelter for weeks due to weather/wild fires. Those things might not otherwise appear on the application but could cause your GPA to take a hit. I think that those are extraordinary, very rare events that an adcom will take into account when examining an academic record.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.