This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a chance?

• Total voters

Temook27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I am currently a liberal arts major, Always had a problem in Choosing, what I wanted to do. Finally, I decided to become a doctor. (General Practitioner). I was a very good student in a high school. Had streight A-s. Then lost an interest in college, and I was not taking studying seriously, so I have a low GPA. Changed 3 colleges, one in My country, Georgia. Second in London, and right now I'm in a community college in NY. I'm 23. The problem is, I do have a social security number, but I dont have a green card yet, hopefuly I will get it, and other problem is that my GPA is low. Can anybody please give me any advice? Or thought? Can I get in a medical school? If so, how? Much appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No green card? Chances are almost zero right now, especially for MD schools. You won't be eligible for federal loans, and you'll need to be int he top 5% of applicants to get accepted.

There are ~14 DO schools that accept internationals. Mine requires citizenship or permanent resident status.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No green card? Chances are almost zero right now, especially for MD schools. You won't be eligible for federal loans, and you'll need to be int he top 5% of applicants to get accepted.

There are ~14 DO schools that accept internationals. Mine requires citizenship or permanent resident status.
I'm in a process of getting a green card, I do have a social security/work authorization. does this change anything?

Now it's on your academics and ECs, after you get your green card.
I don't exactly know, when I'm going to get it. You are saying, that without a green card there is 0% of chance? There should be some other ways.

I don't exactly know, when I'm going to get it. You are saying, that without a green card there is 0% of chance? There should be some other ways.

There is always a chance, but you have to be THE BEST OF THE BEST in terms of your volunteer work, clinical exposure, research, other activities, your MCAT and your grades. Nevertheless, you are better of waiting for your green card before applying. It broadens the schools you could potentially apply to and gives you a better chance of getting accepted somewhere. I have some experience on this. I was thinking of applying right out of college as an international student but decided to wait for my green card instead since my applications isn't exactly Harvard quality and I don't have $200,000 just sitting in a bank somewhere.

In the mean time, just focus on your school work. You'd probably need a bachelors degree from a US college anyway so work hard to get a high GPA on that while trying out different volunteering opportunities and extra curricular activities.

There are also financial issues to non-citizens and med school. I forget the exact details, but you need to have a big bank account full of cash, because you can't get gov't -backed loans.

What gibby is saying that a non-citizen will have to be Harvard/Stanford caliber to make it into a US MD school.

There are also financial issues to non-citizens and med school. I forget the exact details, but you need to have a big bank account full of cash, because you can't get gov't -backed loans.

What gibby is saying that a non-citizen will have to be Harvard/Stanford caliber to make it into a US MD school.
It's really sad how the system
Works. I understand, that on a big scale it has to belike that, measuring peoples intelligence, and knowledge with their GPA, money and **** like that, but in a result we have so many greedy, and plain dumb doctors. I will still try to find out some other way, I will talk to my career advisor, tomorrow. Thanks guys, for trying to help me ✌️

There is no other way dude...if you are not a permanent resident (green card holder) or a united states citizen then you cannot qualify for federal loans so no medical school period...

Edit: you can talk to your career advisor but, he/she will say the same thing.

5 posts in and s/he is ripping on the US system of medical schools saying it's a greedy system... well, then get a foreign degree, go through the USMLE Steps 1-3, pass them all with flying colors, pray for a residency slot in a PCP spot and become a licensed US MD/DO. There is no other way but knocking the system you're trying to get into with people who ARE citizens or ARE registered aliens, is not going to get you any flower power here.

Reactions: 4 users
We really don't, and that's thanks to the extremely uphill climb everyone undertakes (although certainly non-US citizens have it steeper than most).
Oh, we do my friend. I don't know, on what is your perception based on, but I can say, that you haven't seen enough. I don't mean to offend you, but that's what I think.

There is no other way dude...if you are not a permanent resident (green card holder) or a united states citizen then you cannot qualify for federal loans so no medical school period...

Edit: you can talk to your career advisor but, he/she will say the same thing.
I get it, that's why I'm angry. You would be as well, if you were in my shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your perception based on, but I can say, that you haven't seen enough

That is an Attending Physician you are referring to...you are not even finished with your prerequisites and yet you have seen a lot more? Delusional...

5 posts in and s/he is ripping on the US system of medical schools saying it's a greedy system... well, then get a foreign degree, go through the USMLE Steps 1-3, pass them all with flying colors, pray for a residency slot in a PCP spot and become a licensed US MD/DO. There is no other way but knocking the system you're trying to get into with people who ARE citizens or ARE registered aliens, is not going to get you any flower power here.
So we should stop criticizing system and say it's perfect, thats how it will improve, right? You do that, I'll be the critic. I'm not saying that every doctor is bad, most of them care, and are a good people, but there is a very big amount of a very bad doctors, and I think, speaking up is the way to decrease amount of them, or to keep on on a same level, at least.

Oh, we do my friend. I don't know, on what is your perception based on, but I can say, that you haven't seen enough. I don't mean to offend you, but that's what I think.

Dude, you are outside of a profession telling someone already in a profession that he hasn't seen enough of that profession. It's you who has zero frame of reference here.

I get that you are venting, but calling the people in the field you pine for greedy and dumb just makes you come off poorly.

It does, however, make us feel a lot less sorry for your plight. Good luck with that.

That is an Attending Physician you are referring to...you are not even finished with your prerequisites and yet you have seen a lot more? Delusional...
You know me right? Assuming I'm delusional, nice judgement there, keep it up.

In the name of lucom that is holy...I rebuke you troll be gone...

Reactions: 2 users
Doctors, defending doctors, same old story. I never meant to offend any one of you, but for those who got offended you guys are probably saw yourself in a part I was criticizing. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, And understands me, for the rest of you wish you success, in treating people who desperatly need you.

Last edited:
So we should stop criticizing system and say it's perfect.
You have NO say in how to fix the system when you are OUTSIDE the system AND you are an international student not even attending in the US.

*I* have NO say in how to fix the system either, because *I* am on the outside. Until I am in, my word, my opinion means nothing. And even when on the inside, I will say US students over internationals. It's that simple.

You have NO say in how to fix the system when you are OUTSIDE the system AND you are an international student not even attending in the US.

*I* have NO say in how to fix the system either, because *I* am on the outside. Until I am in, my word, my opinion means nothing. And even when on the inside, I will say US students over internationals. It's that simple.
First of all, I'm attending a college in U.S. Right now. The second of all with your logic, you can not criticize something if you are not engaged? You can't say that restaurant is too expensive, and food is not that great, and it will be better, if prices will go down, and chef will put a little more heart and passion in what he's doing, if you are not a chef or an owner? And you do whatever you believe in, but don't tell me I can not have an opinion on something, just because I'm not this, and that.

...but don't tell me I can not have an opinion on something, just because I'm not this, and that.
You are free to have opinions but often opinions that involve insulting others are better left unspoken.

Anyhow, the advice on this board appears sound. Get a green card and good grades at a US four year institution and you'll have a shot. Unless/until that happens this will not be a realistic path and you may want to consider a plan B.

You are free to have opinions but often opinions that involve insulting others are better left unspoken.

Anyhow, the advice on this board appears sound. Get a green card and good grades at a US four year institution and you'll have a shot. Unless/until that happens this will not be a realistic path and you may want to consider a plan B.
For me, who needs to be insulted, has to be insulted.
Thank you for your advices, wish you all the best!

OP, what I've gotten from your posts on this thread is that you got too lazy in college to get good grades and you're too impatient to wait for a green card before applying to medical school. Yet you somehow think it's unfair that there's little chance you'll be accepted to med school right now, even in light of the fact that tens of thousands of highly qualified American applicants are rejected every year who worked their butts off for years to get into med school.

I welcome your justification for this point of view, but can you see how this comes off as entitled?

I would also add that having someone proofread all of your written correspondence would behoove you. Your English isn't bad per se, but your punctuation gives you away.