Can I Still get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mui27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore and very discouraged because I have two D's on my transcript and one B- and C+ in science courses. I am planning on re taking the courses I received a D in but I feel like its no use because I know that medical schools do not replace the grade. Should I just stick to taking upper level science courses? Do I still have a shot at medical school (allopathic) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you have a shot, your grades aren't great but you still have time. And it's only MD schools that use both the original and retake...DO schools do grade replacement.

The biggest issue is can you do better in your classes? You need to understand why you didn't do well and correct those problems. Your Univeristy should have resources to help you.

Yes you have a shot, your grades aren't great but you still have time. And it's only MD schools that use both the original and retake...DO schools do grade replacement.

The biggest issue is can you do better in your classes? You need to understand why you didn't do well and correct those problems. Your Univeristy should have resources to help you.

Honestly the class I received a D in is the hardest science course at my university and almost everyone fails. The B- and C+ is actually what I did and I deserve. I am sure for the upper level courses I will be able to do better since its a different professor but i just don't know what to do for the two D's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they are med school prereqs or classes in your major I'd leave them alone for now and retake later if you need to to boost your GPA for DO school.

D grades are not accepted as fulfilling the prerequisites. You need to retake.

Reactions: 1 user
D grades are not accepted as fulfilling the prerequisites. You need to retake.
yea I am planning on re taking at another university because I won't be able to take it at mine since those courses are only offered certain semesters but I am just afraid that'll look bad. ( I know I really don't have an option but to re take)

Would you be willing to attend a DO school?

Because you're saying "not DO" as if you think you're better than DO, when your grades speak otherwise.

Let's be realistic and don't get ahead of yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
Would you be willing to attend a DO school?

Because you're saying "not DO" as if you think you're better than DO, when your grades speak otherwise.

Let's be realistic and don't get ahead of yourself.
lol nice way to jump to conclusions, DO is definitely an option I just wanted to know specifically for allopathic schools. Instead of predicting what I think, I would appreciate your input. It's fine if you don't want to.

I guess starting over is not an option, so the best option may be to get a masters in something like physiology, etc and then applying, georgetown university has a special master's one year program in physiology expressly for giving students a chance to get admission to a us med school.

Last edited:
please do not spread false/bad advice. You are required to disclose ALL your college courses when entering them into the application. They will (most likely) be factored into GPA calculation even if your school does not count them.

OP: right now you have probably a ~3.4 cumulative GPA assuming you had A/4.0s in the rest of your class. You need to do well the rest of the way. If you are re-taking at a less rigorous school, make sure you ace the class.
if you start all over at a new university you may not have to even report taking classes that you did poorly in, but check this tip carefully, other option may be going to get a masters in something like physiology, etc and then applying, georgetown university has a special master's program in physiology

Last edited:
OP, you're on a short leash for MD. Get A's in the class that you retake and continue the A trend as much as you can until you graduate. I started undergrad with 3 F's, retook them and got 3 A's, and now will be matriculating at a good US MD school in the fall.

please do not spread false/bad advice. You are required to disclose ALL your college courses when entering them into the application. They will (most likely) be factored into GPA calculation even if your school does not count them.

OP: right now you have probably a ~3.4 cumulative GPA assuming you had A/4.0s in the rest of your class. You need to do well the rest of the way. If you are re-taking at a less rigorous school, make sure you ace the class.
thank you for your input :) i appreciate it!

If your GPA is fine - make sure those D are not pre req... You should be ok. I had a few D, and F and W and got into a top 20.

If your GPA is fine - make sure those D are not pre req... You should be ok. I had a few D, and F and W and got into a top 20.
if u don't mind me asking did u have those grades in pre req's?

That's awesome, what was your overall GPA/MCAT? ECs?

You dug yourself into a hole for M.D., but still have loads of time to retake courses and do the whole grade replacement thing via D.O.

That's awesome, what was your overall GPA/MCAT? ECs?
Oopse - was this for me?

Undergrad 3.8
Grad ms 3.7
Grad ma 2.6 (bahaha) - masters of education - I did TFA. Glad med school over looked this...

BCME or whatever it was - 3.8-3.9