Feb 19, 2015
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all. I was just wondering if I could take the pre-reqs for medical school at my local community college? I am currently a psychology major and I just wanted to know if that would be an acceptable thing to do instead of attending a post-baccalaureate program after I graduate with my bachelors?

GiveMeThatMD

Consider this thread DERAILED.
2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
It's all totally situation dependent. Just a stab (assuming not many CCs hand out Bachelor's Degrees) that you're currently attending a 4-year university? If this is the case, do NOT backtrack to a CC. That'll show adcoms you're looking for the easy way out.

OP
Shy_Gemini
Feb 19, 2015
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
It's all totally situation dependent. Just a stab (assuming not many CCs hand out Bachelor's Degrees) that you're currently attending a 4-year university? If this is the case, do NOT backtrack to a CC. That'll show adcoms you're looking for the easy way out.
Thank you for the advice, and yes, I'm currently at a 4-year university. :)

GiveMeThatMD

Consider this thread DERAILED.
2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Sure thing :) again, this is completely person dependent. If it's a bit too expensive to continue on after completion of your bachelor's, money can make a case against CC coursework.

OP
Shy_Gemini
Feb 19, 2015
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Sure thing :) again, this is completely person dependent. If it's a bit too expensive to continue on after completion of your bachelor's, money can make a case against CC coursework.
Yeah, the money thing is definitely part of it. I am currently attending a private university so it's quite $$$. lol :)

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes you can, however, it would be viewed at a different level. From what I've read so far, medical schools look for individuals who challenge themselves.

Reactions: Shy_Gemini

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It really depends upon your situation. If you are taking all of your other courses at your 4-year university and only take your med school pre-reqs at a community college, that can look like trying to inflate your grades in pre-reqs.

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
Good advice above. Be careful not to look like you're trying to circumvent more challenging classes at your university. Adcoms can be wary when people attend a normal 4-year but take the science prereqs at CC.

Reactions: nwts

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
It really depends upon your situation. If you are taking all of your other courses at your 4-year university and only take your med school pre-reqs at a community college, that can look like trying to inflate your grades in pre-reqs.
Good advice above. Be careful not to look like you're trying to circumvent more challenging classes at your university. Adcoms can be wary when people attend a normal 4-year but take the science prereqs at CC.
As many people above have said, it really depends on your specific situation. A science major at a 4 year who then takes classes at a CC will look different than a business major at a 4 year who then takes premed at CC.

It may have a minor negative impact upon your competitiveness depending on the medical school and the applicant pool. Some schools have formal statements accepting them, others have state that they are not recommended. There still may be some that do not accept them at all. Generally, it is not a big impact to a "traditional" premed bio major student who does 2 years at a CC and then goes to a 4-year taking upper level courses. Below is a quick smattering of across a few schools.

Stanford
http://coe.stanford.edu/pre-med/
Students access higher education through a variety of pathways including community colleges, four-year colleges and universities, public and private institutions.

Johns Hopkins
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admissions/md/application_process/faqs.html#community_colleges
Do you accept prerequisites completed at community colleges?
Yes, but we encourage prospective applicants to take advanced courses in related areas, if possible.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

SUNY Upstate
http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
* Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two pre-requisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.

Weill Cornell
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

Ichan/Mount Sinai
https://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/md-program-faq
Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
We have no requirement, however, the Committee on Admissions considers not only what courses an applicant takes, but where the courses are taken.

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
I started at a CC and have transferred to a 4year. I took some of my prereqs at a cc because I'm a science major and if I waited, I wouldn't have been able to unlock the upper level courses I need for my degree.

I haven't applied yet, but the general advice I got here was that it will be acceptable as long as I take upper level sciences at my 4-year.

So, based on the advice I have received, I think back tracking from a 4-year to a cc would not be the best choice. Also, I know you're saying that it's for financial reasons but if there IS a part of you that is hoping it will be easier, then I would be careful. So far, my classes at the CC were much more intense and our work was graded much more strictly than what I am experiencing at my university. The labs were especially more difficult. So far, as I say.

Freezer

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Peoria IL
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
I know several great med students and physicians who took CC pre reqs without any problem in admissions because they still rocked their MCAT. The only academic standardization is the MCAT. Universities are handing out 60% more As than they did 20 years ago(Chronicle of higher ed just published a great article on this topic recently). Further, with the wide variety of academic substance and rigor between schools, it is impossible for most Adcoms to weigh merit from one program to the next. However, the MCAT brings balance to all of that chaos. People can go to a big university and whine to a professor for a better grade all they want but they cant whine their way through an MCAT. So if someone from Harvard scores a 10 on the bio science portion of an MCAT and someone from a CC scores a 12, I cant say one program was more rigorous than the other, but I can say the student from CC made it count when they needed to.

Reactions: Shy_Gemini

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Yes, but invest in MSAR Online to let you know which schools do and don't accept pre-reqs from CCs. There's no rhyme nor reason to who does or doesn't.

Hi all. I was just wondering if I could take the pre-reqs for medical school at my local community college? I am currently a psychology major and I just wanted to know if that would be an acceptable thing to do instead of attending a post-baccalaureate program after I graduate with my bachelors?

Holmwood

WOW
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
Check the MSAR for your state's medical school (s). The policy on community college credit to fulfill premed requirement is school specific.
Edit: oops, Goro beat me to it.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
no one will care

The 4 year colleges are highway robbery (so is med school actually).