Can you apply to schools while in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osu17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of in a tough situation. I was on the wait list for a school, and recently got accepted there. The only thing is, I really don't care for the school. I really only applied to it because it was a cheap and easy one to apply to. So long story short, back in April I decided I would retake my MCAT July 24 (last year I applied with a high GPA, low MCAT, and late application due to significant personal reasons) and submit everything as soon as they arrive (I've already submitted my primary). Right now I just really want to do well on the MCAT and get into a school that I'm excited about going to and feel that they meet my wants and will support me best in my desires. But at the same time I keep thinking "but I got in somewhere, and I could stop studying for this test and go to that school". So I've started thinking "can I finish my application to other schools while attending this school?" and if I get into somewhere else, I could always drop out of the original school and basically start over and the school I really want to go to. Is that possible? Would other schools know that and would that affect my application? Please no rude comments like "dude, you're complaining about getting in somewhere?".

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be as rude as I wanna be.

Schools will know that you already applied and were accepted. They'll see that you're flaking on the school you're attending and very reasonably wonder whether you're going to flake on them, too. And there will be a lot of bad blood between you and the school you're at. I just don't see this plan ending well for you. I recommend you go where you've been accepted and never look back.

Reactions: 53 users
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of in a tough situation. I was on the wait list for a school, and recently got accepted there. The only thing is, I really don't care for the school. I really only applied to it because it was a cheap and easy one to apply to. So long story short, back in April I decided I would retake my MCAT July 24 (last year I applied with a high GPA, low MCAT, and late application due to significant personal reasons) and submit everything as soon as they arrive (I've already submitted my primary). Right now I just really want to do well on the MCAT and get into a school that I'm excited about going to and feel that they meet my wants and will support me best in my desires. But at the same time I keep thinking "but I got in somewhere, and I could stop studying for this test and go to that school". So I've started thinking "can I finish my application to other schools while attending this school?" and if I get into somewhere else, I could always drop out of the original school and basically start over and the school I really want to go to. Is that possible? Would other schools know that and would that affect my application? Please no rude comments like "dude, you're complaining about getting in somewhere?".
I know of no reputable school that will consider a matriculant at another school.
You are required to report all the schools you have attended (after high school).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Schools will know that you already applied and were accepted. They'll see that you're flaking on the school you're attending and very reasonably wonder whether you're going to flake on them, too. And there will be a lot of bad blood between you and the school you're at. I just don't see this plan ending well for you. I recommend you go where you've been accepted and never look back.
You sure type fast...

Reactions: 9 users

Also, I believe most schools have something to the effect of "We don't accept transfers. Anyone who has previously matriculated to medical school is ineligible for our first year class". If you are matriculating to an MD school, and these are other MD schools, they can see in AMCAS hat you are currently at a school, and you will not be accepted.

It was just a thought. My more realistic plan is to just decline the offer and continue with my application.

Also, I believe most schools have something to the effect of "We don't accept transfers. Anyone who has previously matriculated to medical school is ineligible for our first year class". If you are matriculating to an MD school, and these are other MD schools, they can see in AMCAS hat you are currently at a school, and you will not be accepted.

It wouldn't be a transfer, I would start over if I went somewhere else. I just didn't know if it would be shown in AMCAS, thanks.

It was just a thought. My more realistic plan is to just decline the offer and continue with my application.

Why isnt your more realistic plan just to go there? There are worse things in life than getting into med school...

Reactions: 19 users
It wouldn't be a transfer, I would start over if I went somewhere else. I just didn't know if it would be shown in AMCAS, thanks.
A number of MD and DO programs will ask (including mine) if you've been accepted somewhere. Sometime even interviewers ask this question, even though they shouldn't. What would you do? Lie?

Four years of med school can go really fast. My '18s were raw recruits just yesterday. Today, they're doctors! *sigh*

Reactions: 11 users
option 1: go to medical school and start studying to become a doctor

option 2: study for the MCAT (again) and go through this whole process (again) w/no guarantee of another acceptance or of ever becoming a doctor

flat,800x800,075,t.jpg

Reactions: 67 users
Is this real life? Must be a troll. MUST BE

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A number of MD and DO programs will ask (including mine) if you've been accepted somewhere. Sometime even interviewers ask this question, even though they shouldn't. What would you do? Lie?

Four years of med school can go really fast. My '18s were raw recruits just yesterday. Today, they're doctors! *sigh*
You sure type fast...

THAT is your realistic plan? Matriculate at the school you're accepted to or find a new career.

Reactions: 11 users
Why did you keep your spot on the wait list? You knew you didn’t want to attend. You should have withdrawn your app and you wouldn’t be in this situation. So, either go to that school or severely decrease your chances of ever becoming a physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It certainly obvious that OP can't do what they are proposing, but can OP matriculate into said school, hopefully do well and find a school to transfer to?

The amount of times reading some of the post on this site has made my eyes bleed is far to many +pissed+

Reactions: 10 users
It certainly obvious that OP can't do what they are proposing, but can OP matriculate into said school, hopefully do well and find a school to transfer to?
As clinical sites have become scarce, the number of schools that consider transfers has diminished dramatically.
Even so, a strong Step 1 score, a letter of support from the dean and a compelling reason are the bare minimum necessary for consideration.

Reactions: 5 users
For schools that take transfers - yes. I believe that's an ever shrinking number

This doesnt happen often. And the cases I’ve seen (on SDN) were extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a thought for OP (if they live in WAMI), UW does accept transfers, but the criteria are strict...

Transfer that acceptance to me and I'll support your decision!!

In all seriousness, you have adcoms and non-adcoms telling you this is a horrible decision, and let me add that people would kill to be in your position. Why did you apply in the first place if you had no intention to go? I don't care if the application was super easy, if you don't see yourself there, don't apply!

Reactions: 6 users
I think the other posters have been understating how bad your plan is.

I’ll say it: if you do anything other than matriculate at this school then there is an extremely high chance you will never become a doctor.

Reactions: 10 users
Anecdotal evidence:

I know a guy who applied to MD schools while attending KCUCOM. He got in and dropped out of KCU after one semester.

Not sure it would work if you wanted to stay within one system, but you could probably try to transfer after 2nd year if you really don't like it.

With the amount of previous discussions on topics like this, you'd think people would learn.

Anyway, go for it! I fully support this plan and the consequences that follow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Three years from now, do you want to be finishing third year, or just starting it? The latter is the absolute best case if you reapply, and I personally would spend every day of third year beating myself up over the fact that I could have been chilling in fourth year right now instead of setting my alarm for 4am for my surgery rotation.

Anecdotal evidence:

I know a guy who applied to MD schools while attending KCUCOM. He got in and dropped out of KCU after one semester.

Not sure it would work if you wanted to stay within one system, but you could probably try to transfer after 2nd year if you really don't like it.
I also know a guy that got into VCOM but dropped out and attended MD school when he received his acceptance off the waitlist. However, I do think that's a special circumstance that OP is not in.

i don't understand why you would apply to a school you don't see yourself attending

Reactions: 2 users
I have a little side question for this: can schools still send you interviews if you have been accepted this past cycle? I know one of my WL schools accepts well into August and I will have my app in my then and same with secondaries. I would matriculate to the accepted school but kinda wanna leave my app open if Im accepted. Just curious to see what schools send my IIs.

I know of no reputable school that will consider a matriculant at another school.
You are required to report all the schools you have attended (after high school).

I know one, they accepted the individual described below because of geographic/family reasons combined with some other aspects (which were true to varying degrees).

Anecdotal evidence:

This person was in my class and was actually a she. She gave some compelling reasons for reapplying, but her real reasons for transferring were crap and she burned more than just bridges with the school's administration when she did this.

Do NOT underestimate the ability of people to make poor assumptions.

If you're attending a DO school and are applying MD you may be able to pull this off. However, many schools will trash your app as soon as they find out you've matriculated somewhere else. If you lie about it and they find out, it's almost guaranteed you'd be dismissed immediately. If you didn't want to attend the school, you shouldn't have applied.

People are assuming you're making a stupid decision because you've already made stupid decisions (applying to a school you weren't planning on attending, applying when you didn't feel your app was it's best, etc). If you decide to turn down an acceptance to an MD school without an exceptional reason (in which case they'd ask why you didn't just take a deferral) you've basically screwed yourself for the next 5-7 years. Keep that in mind before you decide to withdraw an acceptance without already holding another one.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a little side question for this: can schools still send you interviews if you have been accepted this past cycle? I know one of my WL schools accepts well into August and I will have my app in my then and same with secondaries. I would matriculate to the accepted school but kinda wanna leave my app open if Im accepted. Just curious to see what schools send my IIs.

No offers of admission for classes starting in 2019 go out until mid-October, 2018. So, you could get interview invites but you'd already be matriculated at the school you don't like by the time the new offer arrived. Do you really want to pay a 5-figure tuition for the M1 year (or even only half a year) and then start over....

I lost all sympathy for you when you stayed on a waitlist when you didn't want to attend that school.

Reactions: 4 users
I know one, they accepted the individual described below because of geographic/family reasons combined with some other aspects (which were true to varying degrees).
They admitted someone into the first year class who had started at another school in the previous cycle??

Last edited by a moderator:
No offers of admission for classes starting in 2019 go out until mid-October, 2018. So, you could get interview invites but you'd already be matriculated at the school you don't like by the time the new offer arrived. Do you really want to pay a 5-figure tuition for the M1 year (or even only half a year) and then start over....

I lost all sympathy for you when you stayed on a waitlist when you didn't want to attend that school.
No Im saying I DO want to attend the wait list schools. Im getting my app in early this cycle so by that time I may not have an acceptance in hand like the OP does. Im applying in case I do not get off the wait list because I would know by mid august at the latest and would be WAY late for the upcoming cycle. Im happy at both of my WL schools and would much rather attend instead of go through the cycle again and be pushed back another year but not putting all my eggs in one basket and then scramble if I dont get an offer from either. Ill probably just withdraw my primary once I am accepted but it would be interesting to see if any schools who rejected me pre II last cycle would send me anything (tho I would kindly decline and say I was offered an acceptance from this cycle).

Hi everyone,

Man, posts like these are the reason why SDN gets a bad name.

Reactions: 6 users
They admitted someone who had started at another school in the previous cycle??

Yes. My classmate re-applied to MD schools during fall of M1 year at a DO school and was accepted. She was apparently open about being a current medical student. The reasons she gave included geographic and being near family, wanting to practice near the small town she previously lived in (where her family was, also near the MD school), desire to go into a competitive field, and a few other things I don't really remember. She applied to several schools, 1 ii, 1 acceptance. She gave plenty of reasons but she told a few of her close friends (which I found out from later) that she just didn't want to be a DO. The MD school is a well-known and generally well-regarded USMD school.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. My classmate re-applied to MD schools during fall of M1 year at a DO school and was accepted. She was apparently open about being a current medical student. The reasons she gave included geographic and being near family, wanting to practice near the small town she previously lived in (where her family was, also near the MD school), desire to go into a competitive field, and a few other things I don't really remember. She applied to several schools, 1 ii, 1 acceptance. She gave plenty of reasons but she told a few of her close friends (which I found out from later) that she just didn't want to be a DO. The MD school is a well-known and generally well-regarded USMD school.
Weird...

Reactions: 3 users
This person was in my class and was actually a she. She gave some compelling reasons for reapplying, but her real reasons for transferring were crap and she burned more than just bridges with the school's administration when she did this.

Different person. I know a guy who did it. This happened this MD cycle.

Did she have to start as an M1 at the MD school?

Different person. I know a guy who did it. This happened this MD cycle.

Interesting, that's 2 in 5 years so still not common, but more common than I'd have guessed.

Did she have to start as an M1 at the MD school?

Yes, and she didn't get M1 fall tuition back and only got part of spring tuition back since she withdrew in Jan. Basically gave away $30k for the letters after her name. Which could probably be justified if she were gung-ho for ortho or neurosurg, but when she was at my school she wanted a mildly competitive field that some consider primary care.

Is this true for someone who matriculated to another professional school (lets say, Optometry) to a MD school or just between MD/DO schools?