Canadian applying to american dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikoniko12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm going to be writing my Canadian DAT in November. I'm applying to Canadian and American schools (only the ones which say they accept Canadian DAT). However, the Canadian DAT is different from the American since it does not contain an organic chemistry portion and it doesn't have the quantitative reasoning portion. Instead, it has the Manual Dexterity Test (MDT) (i.e. soap carving). However, many of the Canadian Universities do not require the MDT, but several American universities say that they do accept the Canadian DAT. Does this mean that the American schools, all of them which accept the Canadian DAT, require the MDT scores? Or are they find, like many of the Canadian schools, with simply the natural sciences, perceptual ability, and reading comprehension marks?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm going to be writing my Canadian DAT in November. I'm applying to Canadian and American schools (only the ones which say they accept Canadian DAT). However, the Canadian DAT is different from the American since it does not contain an organic chemistry portion and it doesn't have the quantitative reasoning portion. Instead, it has the Manual Dexterity Test (MDT) (i.e. soap carving). However, many of the Canadian Universities do not require the MDT, but several American universities say that they do accept the Canadian DAT. Does this mean that the American schools, all of them which accept the Canadian DAT, require the MDT scores? Or are they find, like many of the Canadian schools, with simply the natural sciences, perceptual ability, and reading comprehension marks?

Thank you for your help!

nonono dont write the MDT. Im a canadian and i opted out on writing the MDT and i received 3 interviews in the states so far

Just remember that certain schools require the full set of cDAT scores to even consider your file (looking at you Midwestern ~_~). But unless you're absolutely focused on going to those schools, I would recommend against doing the MDT since you can absolutely get interviews at other universities without it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input, bwauts and Zen00321, I guess only certain ones require a full cDAT. I'm going to have to call each one of them and ask to see if they require the MDT or not.

Hello everyone, I am also a Canadian writing the DAT for the first time in November. Could I ask which American schools accept the Canadian DAT? I've been able to find some such as Boston U and New York. But I've been struggling to find others, or a list indicating which schools accept the cDAt.

Hello everyone, I am also a Canadian writing the DAT for the first time in November. Could I ask which American schools accept the Canadian DAT? I've been able to find some such as Boston U and New York. But I've been struggling to find others, or a list indicating which schools accept the cDAt.
What I did is, I used this website "http://dental-schools.startclass.com/", went through each one to see if they accepted the cDAT by going through their FAQ or application requirements, and this is what I found which accept the cDAT:

Boston University
new york university college of dentistry
Columbia University college of dental medicine
university of Pennsylvania school of dental medicine
Harvard University school of dental medicine
university of Louisville school of dentistry
university of Connecticut school of dental medicine
university of Maryland Baltimore college of dental surgery
state university of new york at buffalo school of dental medicine
Creighton university school of dentistry

Reactions: 1 user
If you test in the 50th percentile for MDT, it's like a 7/30. It's do not worth it. If I recall correctly, there's 1-2 schools that need the MDT but that's it

If you test in the 50th percentile for MDT, it's like a 7/30. It's do not worth it. If I recall correctly, there's 1-2 schools that need the MDT but that's it
I called every one of the American schools, and none of them said that they required the MDT. I believe only one Canadian school requires it, lol.

Yes, I'm applying this cycle. How come, am I too late?
Yes you will be extremely late. Taking the DAT in November means dental schools won't even look at your application until your scores are official. That will be after December 1st and already past many dental school's application deadline.

Thank you for your help!

Hey! I was just wondering if writing your DAT in November was a bad decision for your application to American schools.
Did they wait for your grades?

Hey! I was just wondering if writing your DAT in November was a bad decision for your application to American schools.
Did they wait for your grades?
Not OP but i believe what will happen is that Canadian scores don't officially come out for 6 weeks after writing it. That means you will definitely not get your marks until after the Dec 1 round of acceptances, and you are guaranteed to only get post-dec interviews, if you get them . I doubt schools give offers before DAT scores are in. Som schools will rarely look at late applicants. Also it should be noted that some schools have application deadlines before dec 5 (for the last cycle at least, will still be approximately the same this cycle.) , most being due around that time, with latest schools closing applications in January or February. You can 100% submit your application befo you do your DAT and get it in on time, but it won't be complete for a while until your scores are in.
I took the Canadian DAT the past November 4 and got my results on December 12, if that helps you establish a timeline.
I would say take the American DAT instead to increase your chances by applying early.

Reactions: 1 user