This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IsThisNameTaken?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

As you probably figured out, I'm wondering what my chances are to get into an American medical school. Please let me know what your thoughts are!

Academic Background:
cGPA - 3.8
sGPA - 3.78

MCAT - 516
MCAT Breakdown:
Psych - 127
CARS - 128
Bio - 129
Chem - 132

Completing a Bachelors at the University of Toronto (Co-op Neuroscience program)

Citizenship and Race:

Canadian Citizen
No US Visa
Not Minority/Latin/White

Experience:

Strong Research Background (+2000hrs in 3 different labs with publication currently in press <--As you can imagine I'm interested in the MD/PhD programs)
Leadership (Helped found 1 organization on campus, expanding branches to other universities)
Clinical (+100hrs in 2 clinics)
Shadowing (8hrs with General Pediatrics Practitioners)
Athletics (Soccer and Snowboarding)
Awards (Entrance Scholarship, Dean's List and Scholar Cerificate)
Other (Published photographer, journalist and writer)

My List?
From what I know, the only Canadian friendly ones are listed below, do I have a chance with these schools? Am I missing any other Canadian friendly schools (or did I make a mistake on which one is Canadian friendly)?

- Case Western
- Mt. Sinai
- Both Mayo campuses
- Harvard
- Yale (Not accepting Canadians for MD/PhD but still applying for their MD program)
- Stanford (Not accepting Canadians for MD/PhD but still applying for their MD program)
- Jefferson Medical College
- Wayne State
- Chicago Medical School/Rosalind Franklin
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern
- SUNY Upstate
- Vanderbilt
- Dartmouth
- Columbia
- Johns Hopkins
- Boston U
- AECOM
- SLU
- U Kentucky
- NYMC
- NYU

If you do not know what my chances would be for their MD/PhD program then please let me know what you think my chances are for getting into their MD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are the median MD PhD applicant, I would apply accordingly. Some of these programs are reaches for you. For instance you might be a feasible Harvard MD applicant (maybe could use stronger ECs), but the MD PhD students at Harvard/MIT are incredible. Some for places like hopkins and others.

You are the median MD PhD applicant, I would apply accordingly. Some of these programs are reaches for you. For instance you might be a feasible Harvard MD applicant (maybe could use stronger ECs), but the MD PhD students at Harvard/MIT are incredible. Some for places like hopkins and others.
Thank you for the response! Yeah a lot of the schools are reaches for me but I thought that I might as well try my luck (rather than always wonder "what if").

But I really want to make sure I have some schools on the list to compensate for all the top-tier schools I'm applying to. In your opinion which schools on the list do you think I have a high chance in?