This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateLig22

Reaction score
I know I will not make it into Canadian dental schools due to the rough first year I had (due to major illness). I am a music major currently in my second year. My first year GPA was 2.4 (like I said, I was very sick), but first semester of this year, it was 3.3, which bumped my CGPA up to 2.74. I am hoping to bump it up even further by taking intersession courses this summer and working really hard for the rest of my undergrad. I am looking at US schools as a plan B. I was wondering if anyone has any info on Canadian friendly schools that may be options for me.

I am hoping that my diverse background will work in my favour. I am pursuing a major in music (with the appropriate dental prereqs, of course). I have not written the DAT yet.

Members don't see this ad.

This can be found by using the search bar.

If you have a non science major your GPA needs to be higher than average and your sGPA better be stellar. Most US schools also are Canadian unfriendly. You have a lot of work to do to fix your app.

Although most dental schools in the states are Canadian 'unfriendly' as Appalachian has mentioned, there are a lot that are! And considering the shear number of dental schools in the US as compared to Canada, I would say it is definitely an option to study abroad. With your current stats, admission to a Canadian dental school would be very unlikely. American school admission is more realistic by comparison but even with that, you would have to continue to improve your GPA and score very well on the DAT. Don't be discouraged and carry on :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Detroit Mercy always has a few seats (~25 I think) dedicated to canadians. Also I think you still have plenty of time to improve your GPA you're only in your 2nd year after all. My first year GPA was 2.7 but my last 2 years I averaged around a 3.65. The upward trend looks good on your app, just got to keep on working hard.

Having a low GPA first year does not mean its the end of the world but you will need to at least get as close to 4.0 in your final two years. After my first year I had a 2.70 but I was able to increase it quite a bit. As far as going to US if you can get it up and do well on the DAT you still have a chance. I personally would not go that route because of the current exchange rate, as much as being a dentist is a great career choice, the debt will not be worth it. Depending on the school you are looking at $500k to 700k+ in Canadian dollars. You do have other options such as Australia or New Zealand which will be cheapee in the long run