This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandprince

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, my first time posting on this site! I haven't been on here too often, and i'm trying to get a hang of things. I'm currently a 3rd year Bio Sci. undergrad student at UofC (Alberta), writing my MCAT this summer. I'm looking for some advice as to which medical schools are appropriate for my situation. I will be applying to the Alberta med schools this coming year, to get some experience in writing the applications and what not. My grades are well for my past year and this current year (~3.76), with a not too great GPA in my first year (3.0). My EC's aren't the best; some hospital volunteering, lab work, and various other shorter-term volunteer work, along with playing on a sports team on the side (will probably go for research, and focus on diversifying EC's next year).

I am really worrying about getting into med. school here in Canada, as I feel my EC's are really lacking, and there is quite a large emphasis on this. I'm doing my best to improve my GPA so by my fourth year when I apply, my first year grade will hopefully be dropped in most Canadian school applications. I have my sights set on med. school, and have considered maybe going international (EU-maybe Ireland?) as a back up plan. I know that it's tough to come back for residency here in Canada; however it's an option. I have an EU citizenship, and may or may not qualify for EU pricing- for tuition somewhere, which would really help out. I'm fairly limited in my knowledge in regards to the EU med schools that are accredited in North America, and have been trying to find some links in regards to this subject, but haven't been having the best of luck.

Can anyone give me some tips or advice as to what my best options are, and specific things I can do to improve my chances at Canadian medical schools, and which are the best to apply to for an Alberta resident besides the obvious 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I get these sudden moments where I just get really stressed out, and feel like I'm not doing enough looking into my future (too focussed on the moment). If I re-asked a question that was already asked please feel free to link it! Thank you very much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, my first time posting on this site! I haven't been on here too often, and i'm trying to get a hang of things. I'm currently a 3rd year Bio Sci. undergrad student at UofC (Alberta), writing my MCAT this summer. I'm looking for some advice as to which medical schools are appropriate for my situation. I will be applying to the Alberta med schools this coming year, to get some experience in writing the applications and what not. My grades are well for my past year and this current year (~3.76), with a not too great GPA in my first year (3.0). My EC's aren't the best; some hospital volunteering, lab work, and various other shorter-term volunteer work, along with playing on a sports team on the side (will probably go for research, and focus on diversifying EC's next year).

I am really worrying about getting into med. school here in Canada, as I feel my EC's are really lacking, and there is quite a large emphasis on this. I'm doing my best to improve my GPA so by my fourth year when I apply, my first year grade will hopefully be dropped in most Canadian school applications. I have my sights set on med. school, and have considered maybe going international (EU-maybe Ireland?) as a back up plan. I know that it's tough to come back for residency here in Canada; however it's an option. I have an EU citizenship, and may or may not qualify for EU pricing- for tuition somewhere, which would really help out. I'm fairly limited in my knowledge in regards to the EU med schools that are accredited in North America, and have been trying to find some links in regards to this subject, but haven't been having the best of luck.

Can anyone give me some tips or advice as to what my best options are, and specific things I can do to improve my chances at Canadian medical schools, and which are the best to apply to for an Alberta resident besides the obvious 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I get these sudden moments where I just get really stressed out, and feel like I'm not doing enough looking into my future (too focussed on the moment). If I re-asked a question that was already asked please feel free to link it! Thank you very much!!

First off, congrats for making it to where you are today, improving your GPA is not easy, and its commendable to see you looking at options so soon. I'm not terribly familiar with Albertan schools but I do know that your chances are going to depend on your MCAT score and your 3rd year GPA. These are the most crucial. This year is probably going to be the most crucial for your application however I would recommend you focus on your GPA over extracurriculars. ECs can always be improved on after you graduate, however your GPA can never be changed without a second undergrad.

If you do very well on your MCAT scoring the equivalent of a 12 or higher in Bio and 11 or higher in Verbal then I would consider Western, which has a hard GPA cutoff of 3.7 and a hard MCAT score cutoff usually 9/11/12, they don't look at ECs either.

Regarding the EU, I would warn you now that you aren't going to get EU pricing anywhere I believe because most places determine tuition based on where you have lived in the past 3 years not your citizenship, this is because EU pricing is government subsidized and they want to know you've payed your EU taxes before they let you qualify for their pricing.

On the plus side, you will almost for sure be able to practice as a doctor if you graduated from an EU medical school with EU citizenship as you will likely be able to practice in any EU country after graduation assuming you know the language and can pass any tests they throw your way.

Almost all EU schools are accredited in North America. https://imed.faimer.org/ If it is listed in the IMED directory then it is accredited in Canada. Note for UBC, they only accept electives from med students studying in a few English speaking countries namely the US, UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and possibly South Africa I believe. For the states things are a bit trickier, California has its own list of approved schools and several states follow California's list. All the schools in Ireland and Australia are on that list, however some English speaking programs in countries like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Italy etc are not on that list (they need to apply for separate approval for their English speaking program).

I wouldn't consider applying abroad without 1. MCAT score 2. applying 2 cycles in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry or risk tons of money (literally-400K+ with the current dollar) on a maybe-acceptable International degree.

Take a 5th year, work for a year and boost your ECs, do a masters if it interests you. There is zero reason why you don't have the ability to get into a Canadian med school, and given the recent trends of Health Canada making it harder and harder every year for internationals to come back to Canada (or even get residency positions in the US) it's more than worth taking an extra year or two and getting into a Canadian school. Being from Alberta is very favorable too-you get IP status at 2 schools with different admissions criteria, so you'll likely fit into one well at some point. And both will drop your first year if you apply after completeing your degree

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, you are in a very fortunate position to be from Alberta.

Thank you guys very much for the replies! I think I will do exactly that; focus on getting into a Canadian school. Hopefully all works out in my favour sooner or later! Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Thank you guys very much for the replies! I think I will do exactly that; focus on getting into a Canadian school. Hopefully all works out in my favour sooner or later! Thanks again, very much appreciated!
I read somewhere that the average successful applicant to medicine in Canada had to apply 2.7 times-so if it takes a couple years, your're the norm not the exception