Can't get into medical school, any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirocN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted something like this before. Thank you to everyone who commented on that, I just think I need some more direction and specifics.

I graduated at a Canadian University with a 2.42 cGPA.
I failed physics as well.
I graduated with a Human Biology and Psychology Major.

Now currently where I am sitting at, it is impossible to apply and actually get into medical school.

So, what do you guys suggest. I always wanted to be a doctor but was stupid and did not put in the work. I looked into the next best thing for me, which is nursing. I have found an accelerated nursing program (2year) which I can do. My question is, can I do the accelerated program and still apply to medical school? Since it is only a 2 year program.

Also, I have read @Goro guide and this may be a good path for me. However I am just confused. What exactly is a post-bachelors degree? Would that be a second bachelors degree? A program you can only get into after you have already done 4 years of undergraduate? a graduate program? masters program? Are there any examples of post-bachelors program in Canada just so I have a better idea.

I am okay with time. I do not mind putting in more years to become a doctor. I was thinking the nursing program would be the best thing I can do because if I do apply and I do not get into medical school I always have nursing to fall back on.

Anyways, any suggestions on what to do to get into medical schools. Yes I am open to DO schools as well.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I have posted something like this before. Thank you to everyone who commented on that, I just think I need some more direction and specifics.

Now currently where I am sitting at, it is impossible to apply and actually get into medical school.

So, what do you guys suggest. I always wanted to be a doctor but was stupid and did not put in the work. I looked into the next best thing for me, which is nursing. I have found an accelerated nursing program (2year) which I can do. My question is, can I do the accelerated program and still apply to medical school? Since it is only a 2 year program.

Also, I have read @Goro guide and this may be a good path for me. However I am just confused. What exactly is a post-bachelors degree? Would that be a second bachelors degree? A program you can only get into after you have already done 4 years of undergraduate? a graduate program? masters program? Are there any examples of post-bachelors program in Canada just so I have a better idea.

I am okay with time. I do not mind putting in more years to become a doctor. I was thinking the nursing program would be the best thing I can do because if I do apply and I do not get into medical school I always have nursing to fall back on.

Anyways, any suggestions on what to do to get into medical schools. Yes I am open to DO schools as well.

Thank you

2.42 or 3.42?

If you got a 2.42 from a Canadian university than very few nursing programs will even consider you in the US. Your GPA is not competitive for any medical related coursework and for the majority of professional schools. For a post-bachelorette degree, this would be going to an undergraduate university if you want to do US medical schools and particularly the US undergraduate university and doing anywhere between 40 and 60 semester hours getting A’s and a very few bees in upper division biology and chemistry courses. Even if you do that, this will not budge your GPA very much and it is still highly unlikely they’ll get acceptance to any US medical or professional school. I would advise taking a different career path

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing is a field for dedicated professionals. Considering it as a "fall back" career is foolish and will lead to career dissatisfaction.

Your GPA is irreparable and your chances are almost zero. Time to cut your losses and move on.

Reactions: 5 users

Thank you
Post-bac doesn't mean a degree per se. It means coursework taken after you get your UG degree. What goes on in Canada is a black box to me, but I assume that you can simply enroll and take courses at any college.

A nursing program isn't going to have the bona fides to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school. Vocational programs aren't good that.

If you reinvent yourself there are 14 or so DO schools that accept internationals.

Can a DO practice in Canada? Important to consider.

If you got a 2.42 from a Canadian university than very few nursing programs will even consider you in the US. Your GPA is not competitive for any medical related coursework and for the majority of professional schools. For a post-bachelorette degree, this would be going to an undergraduate university if you want to do US medical schools and particularly the US undergraduate university and doing anywhere between 40 and 60 semester hours getting A’s and a very few bees in upper division biology and chemistry courses. Even if you do that, this will not budge your GPA very much and it is still highly unlikely they’ll get acceptance to any US medical or professional school. I would advise taking a different career path

If I do decide to go for another undergraduate degree.
Are there not some universities which look at just your most recent undergraduate degree rather than both undergraduate degree?

Post-bac doesn't mean a degree per se. It means coursework taken after you get your UG degree. What goes on in Canada is a black box to me, but I assume that you can simply enroll and take courses at any college.

A nursing program isn't going to have the bona fides to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school. Vocational programs aren't good that.

If you reinvent yourself there are 14 or so DO schools that accept internationals.

Could another undergraduate degree be taken as I believe some schools look at your most recent undergraduate degree correct?

Reactions: 1 user

Not really. For example there are accelerated nursing programs which only look into your GPA for the last year instead of cumulative.

It's going to be a long road ahead for you. That 2.42 will never really go away, and must be reported. If you ace a second degree with 3.8 or 3.9 you might average it to 3.1 or so. Not all schools will look at how you've turned your studies around.

Before you go DO you need to make sure you can practice in Canada too.

Much as I'd hate to say it it may take you years to reinvent, apply, and get in. During that time you'll be in your late 20's and flipping a coin to determine your future. What if you don't get in after this second degree? Try and do something else. You could have a decent career and savings built by your late 20's otherwise.

You may not have put the work in, but you also don't know if you can keep up. It is not easy.

Nursing is a field for dedicated professionals. Considering it as a "fall back" career is foolish and will lead to career dissatisfaction.

Your GPA is irreparable and your chances are almost zero. Time to cut your losses and move on.

It never sounds nice to refer to a career as a fallback. But if someone doesn't make it in medical school, do you just work at bestbuy then? Become some bitter chief scribe?
This shouldn't mean you're unworthy to try other careers that might interest you.

Last edited:
It's going to be a long road ahead for you. That 2.42 will never really go away, and must be reported. If you ace a second degree with 3.8 or 3.9 you might average it to 3.1 or so. Not all schools will look at how you've turned your studies around.

Before you go DO you need to make sure you can practice in Canada too.

Much as I'd hate to say it it may take you years to reinvent, apply, and get in. During that time you'll be in your late 20's and flipping a coin to determine your future. What if you don't get in after this second degree? Try and do something else. You could have a decent career and savings built by your late 20's otherwise.

You may not have put the work in, but you also don't know if you can keep up. It is not easy.

It never sounds nice to reset to a career as a fallback. But if someone doesn't make it in medical school, do you just work at bestbuy then? Become some bitter chief scribe?
This shouldn't mean you're unworthy to try other careers that might interest you.

Thank you. Your reply was very considerate.
Yeah, thats what I was trying to say. As a person, you should always have a fallback or plan B. How can you go off on someone because of that? I dont really know why doc05 was so mad about

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do decide to go for another undergraduate degree.
Are there not some universities which look at just your most recent undergraduate degree rather than both undergraduate degree?

When you apply every course you have ever taken is used to develop your GPA. So that 2.42 will always cause you problems. As you continue to take courses it becomes increasing hard to move your GPA. You’ll eventually reach a point that it won’t move at all. So the issue remains, you might never reach the auto screen level. Every year around 60 percent of applicants are rejected. Applicants with flawless applications are rejected every year. So even if you somehow manage to get above the autoscreen level you might never get in anyway.

Thank you. Your reply was very considerate.
Yeah, thats what I was trying to say. As a person, you should always have a fallback or plan B. How can you go off on someone because of that? I dont really know why doc05 was so mad about

Can't get into medical school
2.42 cGPA

Don't come here expecting a sugar-coated answer. @doc05 was being blunt, something you needed to hear. You dug yourself into a tall, dark trench that you most likely will not be able to climb out of without sacrificing several years and your soul. Even that might not be enough. Don't forget that you did this to yourself. I won't bother giving advice because it is very difficult to help someone who doesn't have the work ethic and discipline to follow through with the advice given to them. If you pursue another degree or post-bacc for the purpose of raising your GPA, how do you know things will be any different than before?

Reactions: 6 users
Don't come here expecting a sugar-coated answer. @doc05 was being blunt, something you needed to hear. You dug yourself into a tall, dark trench that you most likely will not be able to climb out of without sacrificing several years and your soul. Even that might not be enough. Don't forget that you did this to yourself. I won't bother giving advice because it is very difficult to help someone who doesn't have the work ethic and discipline to follow through with the advice given to them. If you pursue another degree or post-bacc for the purpose of raising your GPA, how do you know things will be any different than before?

Who are you to judge if this person can make a change or not? Yes, based on previous performance they are unlikely to change overnight, but the fact they have the willingness to change and are seeking for advice and admitting to their faults is a sign of improvement for me. And if you don't intend on giving advice then why bother cr*pping on them even further? Its like saying "I just came to make you even more aware that you made mistakes, but I got no advice for someone like you". If you were in that position would you want someone to post this? A bit of empathy goes a long way.

OP, as some people mentioned before you are in a difficult situation, but if this is something you really want and are willing to make sacrifices to pursue, then get ready to make some real changes. The main concern for me is I am not sure if a postbac of about 40 credits, focusing solely on science classes will bring that gpa to above 3.0 (which is the screening cut off for some programs), you might need to take even more credits, making this at least a 2 year process of excellent grades + crushing the MCAT.

Yes, it's difficult, but it can be done. It's a matter of how bad do you want it

Reactions: 2 users
Who are you to judge if this person can make a change or not? Yes, based on previous performance they are unlikely to change overnight, but the fact they have the willingness to change and are seeking for advice and admitting to their faults is a sign of improvement for me. And if you don't intend on giving advice then why bother cr*pping on them even further? Its like saying "I just came to make you even more aware that you made mistakes, but I got no advice for someone like you". If you were in that position would you want someone to post this? A bit of empathy goes a long way.

OP, as some people mentioned before you are in a difficult situation, but if this is something you really want and are willing to make sacrifices to pursue, then get ready to make some real changes. The main concern for me is I am not sure if a postbac of about 40 credits, focusing solely on science classes will bring that gpa to above 3.0 (which is the screening cut off for some programs), you might need to take even more credits, making this at least a 2 year process of excellent grades + crushing the MCAT.

Yes, it's difficult, but it can be done. It's a matter of how bad do you want it

And even if he does all of what you recommend , there is absolutely no guarantee that he will even get interviews let alone acceptances. OP has to know this and accept it before he even starts his reinvention path.

And even if he does all of what you recommend , there is absolutely no guarantee that he will even get interviews let alone acceptances. OP has to know this and accept it before he even starts his reinvention path.

Wait, who said I didnt know...
Stop judging and acting like you know everything about me man. I know what I am getting into, I came on this forum to ask for help. There is a difference between getting the blunt truth, and sh*tting on someone.

It never sounds nice to refer to a career as a fallback. But if someone doesn't make it in medical school, do you just work at bestbuy then? Become some bitter chief scribe?

Using that logic, I suppose I should try for a career in the NBA, after all that interests me!

A 3.4 GPA is a long shot. But with a 2.4 GPA, it's cruel to encourage the OP.

Reactions: 8 users
No need to take another degree. 30 hrs + of 3.7 GPA in advanced Biol courses.

Hi Goro.
I am coming to you because frankly you give honest constructive criticism and you clearly know more than others lol.
You did say that I do not need another degree just more hours of course work. Thing is I have already taken most bio/chem courses. I just finished 4th year and I have to apply for graduation soon.
Wouldn't doing another degree be more helpful?

Using that logic, I suppose I should try for a career in the NBA, after all that interests me!

If NBA interests you that much go for it lol.. who are we to tell you what you can or cant do.

Hi Goro.
I am coming to you because frankly you give honest constructive criticism and you clearly know more than others lol.
You did say that I do not need another degree just more hours of course work. Thing is I have already taken most bio/chem courses. I just finished 4th year and I have to apply for graduation soon.
Wouldn't doing another degree be more helpful?
You've taken all of these?
Anatomy
Biochem
Bioinformatics
Biostats
Cell Bio
Developmental Biology or Embryology
Histology
Immunology
Med Micro OR Bacteriology and/or Virology
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Neuroscience or Neurobiology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology
Physiology
Tumor or Cancer Biology

You've taken all of these?
Anatomy
Biochem
Bioinformatics
Biostats
Cell Bio
Developmental Biology or Embryology
Histology
Immunology
Med Micro OR Bacteriology and/or Virology
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Neuroscience or Neurobiology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology
Physiology
Tumor or Cancer Biology

I see, however with a 2.42 cGPA, to get it back into the sub 3.0 would take 3-4 years. Same amount of time it would take for a second undergraduate degree. I think that is what I was asking, so would it just be better to do a 2nd degree? Just wanting to see your opinion.

I see, however with a 2.42 cGPA, to get it back into the sub 3.0 would take 3-4 years. Same amount of time it would take for a second undergraduate degree. I think that is what I was asking, so would it just be better to do a 2nd degree? Just wanting to see your opinion.
It's not about getting the cGPA to 3.0 anymore. And again, a second degree isn't going to move the needle all that much. Do an SMP at a school that has some sort of linkage to their med school. Higher risk, but higher reward.

It's not about getting the cGPA to 3.0 anymore. And again, a second degree isn't going to move the needle all that much. Do an SMP at a school that has some sort of linkage to their med school. Higher risk, but higher reward.

With my GPA I do not think even a SMP would be possible. Itll be hard to apply and get accepted with my shi*ty gpa. Moreover, reason why I said 2nd undergrad degree because schools such as Western University School of Medicine would only focus on your 2nd undergrad degree and pay no mind to your first degree (I emailed them).

With my GPA I do not think even a SMP would be possible. Itll be hard to apply and get accepted with my shi*ty gpa. Moreover, reason why I said 2nd undergrad degree because schools such as Western University School of Medicine would only focus on your 2nd undergrad degree and pay no mind to your first degree (I emailed them).
SMPs are a dime-a-dozen. Do some research and be prepared to relocate.

Otherwise, do a DIY post-bac.

I'm not really fond of the Western model there, but hey, if works for you, go for it.

Hate to be *that* guy. But no. Nursing is not a fallback. Nursing programs can be incredibly competitive. Depending on the school, it's a numbers game. I've seen perfectly good gpas in cc that waited 2 years to get into the nursing program, and that's just an ADN. I've seen people straight up and leave to find a different program because of that numbers game.

To put it into perspective, for that ADN program, over 1k would apply to 3 different cc programs, only 200 or so got in. That's ignoring the repeat appliers and the High schoolers. You wont get in with that. Unless you try and get a second degree and try for a program that matriculated at a certain gpa (I know of one that let's you in if you have a 3.5) , but the odds of getting that gpa are low

OP asked for advice in HOW to be a bit more competitive given his situation, he didnt ask if he IS competitive.

That is for the admissions committees to decide once he applies, so lets all leave our personal biases and opinions and give him some constructive and objective criticism

OP have you been accepted to the nursing program? I agree with @Dr.Barker&Mr.Scootches in that nursing is very competitive. At least where I live. If you’ve been accepted to a program grab the opportunity. At least you’ll have an interesting job/career. Practice nursing for a few years and reassess your goals. There are many levels of nursing that might interest you.

This. Obv MCAT gonna have to be good. At least you know that you'll basically have to turn a 180 as a student. You could do nursing if you want but i wouldn't do it as a means to get into med school. If you do though, Im sure you can find a program to get into, there are so many.
I would say go talk to medical schools on what you need to do to become a applicant they would like to take and if they accept reinventors(aka no auto screen), goro's thread has a list of those reinventing friendly schools. Are you canadian or american ?

My GPA is worse that yours.

From 30 years ago.

My GPA now hovers above Goro's suggestion but to do that? worked my @#$ off, harder than my younger peers for the most part; can't speak to Canada nor DO but I can say that taking classes when older is better AND worse; better because of focus/desire/determination; worse because the younger peers are faster out of the gate (barf and regurgitate is the mantra while, for me, I had to understand, not just be able to spit back answers on a test).

The path isn't closed off for life. BUT if you try again and screw it up again, it might be. Choose carefully and do exceedingly well.

Reactions: 4 users
You should look into Podiatry. If you can reach a 3.0 gpa and a 500 mcat I'd bet you'd get in somewhere. D.P.M's can practice in Canada. Canada still uses chiropody in some Provinces so as a U.S trained Podiatrist you'd have a greater scope of practice than them and the ability to perform surgery which they generally cannot. Shadow and see if you like it. Plenty of Canadians come here so they can do surgery. Sound's like a longggggggggg shot for US MD/DO tho but anythings possible if you want it hard enough. Good luck!

A 3.4 is a longshot to get into nursing school?

A 3.4 is a longshot to get into nursing school?
Actually, depends on the nursing school and the amount of people applying. Some can get in with a 3.2, then there are schools that you cant get into unless you have a near perfect gpa.

Its actually been a problem for nursing schools. Some schools had to change the way they evaluate the pre-nurses because they would continually drop from a class if they got less than a B+, in some cases, anything less than an A.

It's weird, but definitely a problem.

OP, make sure you even like nursing before you go down that road.
Some of you all kill me with that 3.2-3.4 GPA not being competitive for Nursing school haha.
Many DOs have below 3.4 mean, plenty of PA schools have 3.2-3.4 means.
OP would have to get As in the nursing prereqs and do well on the entry exam. OP could also move etc or go to ome of those private RN schools that deliver a BSN in 16 months at the exchange of lke $50k. (Im not advising that!)

Your odds of getting into a Canadian school are nil, and you’d have an uphill climb to get into a DO school in the U.S.

Nursing is a great career, but you *will* hate yourself if you don’t love it. You’ll also become the nurse that so many SDN posters assume represents the entirety of the profession (chip on their shoulder, only chose nursing because they couldn’t hack MD school etc)

Reactions: 6 users
Your odds of getting into a Canadian school are nil, and you’d have an uphill climb to get into a DO school in the U.S.

Nursing is a great career, but you *will* hate yourself if you don’t love it. You’ll also become the nurse that so many SDN posters assume represents the entirety of the profession (chip on their shoulder, only chose nursing because they couldn’t hack MD school etc)
He said it better than me.

Hello Everyone.
Thank you to most of you for your advice or opinions.
To the people who only came here to complain, and put other down... grow up.

After some research and some emailing/contacting medical schools, it has came to my attention that some schools will take your 2nd undergraduate degree into consideration rather than your first. So that is one option.
Another option is @Goro guide to reinvention and doing a post-bachelor.

Anyways
Is it possible? Yes. Will it be hard? Yes. Will it take time? Yes. Will things be different this time? Yes.

You live and you learn. To anyone else in my situation, don't let people bring you down. It will be one of the hardest things you will ever have to do, but if you are determined and focused, it is possible.

Goodluck to everyone.

Sometimes I feel people are way too focused on the power of dedication and determination...
I mean a 0.0001% chance could also be counted as a possibility, but I for one will not put my chips down for that kind of gamble.
It's great that you are really dedicated, but I feel like there must be a better career plan for you other than medicine, which is notoriously competitive.
And discourage =/= being mean. Ppl are just being realistic and trying to help you make the best decision. I understand that maybe you are only posting to hear more confirmation of what you already believed. What makes you change your mind and want to pursue medicine?

"To the people who only came here to complain, and put other down... grow up."

Telling you the truth isn't something bad. You need to be told the truth, especially now. Why bother even showing up if you think this way?

Reactions: 3 users
Hello Everyone.
Thank you to most of you for your advice or opinions.
To the people who only came here to complain, and put other down... grow up.

After some research and some emailing/contacting medical schools, it has came to my attention that some schools will take your 2nd undergraduate degree into consideration rather than your first. So that is one option.
Another option is @Goro guide to reinvention and doing a post-bachelor.

Anyways
Is it possible? Yes. Will it be hard? Yes. Will it take time? Yes. Will things be different this time? Yes.

You live and you learn. To anyone else in my situation, don't let people bring you down. It will be one of the hardest things you will ever have to do, but if you are determined and focused, it is possible.

Goodluck to everyone.

Just be careful. You've sunk 4 years and a ton of debt into one degree. its good that you're committed to change but you really have no idea how premed take 2 will turn out. In that time you're going to watch your friends get jobs, houses, and kids while you continue to spend. For the best of medical school applicants the process is a coin flip (I believe in a given year 60% of applicants get in?). You're doing that and you also have other baggage. You need to do immaculate in school and keep up your ECs. And what sacrifices between 23 and 27 will you be making to achieve that?

Even then I don't believe all schools will look at the new degree over the old. Your AMCAS GPA will still be printed on that application clear as day.

No one's saying you can't do it, but its going to be a lot of sacrifice and risk. If take 2 doesn't work out you are in a very deep hole, and no one here wants that for you; being a premed costs money and failing at it is a major blow. When you're at 25+ with a ton of debt you're not a bright young thing with tons of potential who can be anything they want. Doors will in life will be forever closed to you.

Thank you
You don't need an extra degree. You need additional science classes that will show an upward trend.

Btw any other relevant information such as extra curricular or MCAT score? I know it doesn't pertain to your original question but I'm curious.