Car Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I own a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 door that I bought for $900 seven years ago. I find this car to be very useful in screening prospective girl friends. If a girl is not interested in me because I drive an ugly old car with tattered cloth seats and more than a few dings, then my car has served a higher purpose and saved me from a miserable relationship. I have a Zen relationship with my car because she represents the elimination of desire.

That's like a girl chopping off her ass to screen for a noble boyfriend. Not the best move.

Members don't see this ad.

That's like a girl chopping off her ass to screen for a noble boyfriend. Not the best move.

You obviously have not met my girlfriend. I am doing fine, thanks. I met her on a beach in the Carribean, and she actually likes my car. So she passed my character test.

You obviously have not met my girlfriend. I am doing fine, thanks. I met her on a beach in the Carribean, and she actually likes my car. So she passed my character test.

She's just biding her time, doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. However, I can absolutely tell you that right now, if I had a BMW 5 series on one hand and a Civic and a wad of cash equal to the difference between the two cars on the other, I would take about 1.7 seconds to choose the Honda + cash. What I mean by "marvel of engineering" is not that the car has the most power or most features. It's a marvel of engineering because it's so such high quality (safety, refinement, economy) for such little money.

On the contrary, I think a lot of car enthusiasts know that they are making an awful investment but also know they are going to have fun--the point in buying an awesome car. Besides, i think your point of seeing a 5 series and a honda + cash is very, very moot. I mean, who WOULDN'T want a free car and a heaping wad of money?

Im surprised there are no Porsche fans here.

911 (997) Turbo S

Its fast (3.1 s to 60), its practical, the handling has gotten a lot better for being a 911, they hold their value better than any Japanese car, and its not as flashy or expensive as the Ferrari 458, so you can drive it everyday if you choose. However, the 458 would be the ideal track car for the weekends.

Currently drive a Ford E-150...yea the van, long story.

Attachments

• Porsche-997-Turbo-S-1-500x375.jpg
    Porsche-997-Turbo-S-1-500x375.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I don't think I would be interested in a man driving a 1985 Cutlass. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I see the way a man cares for and drives his car as a testament to his masculinity. If you've ever noticed, mainly girls have really dirty cars full of clothes, crap, and other trash. Therefore, when I see a guy with a dirty car I think: teenage girl. *Not saying searun's car is necessarily dirty.* Also, fast driving and knowledge of mechanical things turn me on. :love: (My BF drives a black BMW 328xi coupe)

currently drive:
WAUMFAFL4BN001307-1c.jpg
main.jpg

15_02_2009_10_53_13Audi+A4+allroad+quattro.jpg

want to drive:
audi_r8_v10_red_images_002.jpg

sorry not letting me shrink the images idk why..

being a pro writer online has it's advantages :)

i hate u so much for having an audi to drive around. i hate u, i hate u, i hate u. lol

audi R8 = sex on wheels.

i perfer mercedez tho, much more manly lol.

Gah, screw American car culture. This is now a train thread. :D

hitachi-javelin-train.jpg

^no one gives a **** about trains you Communist.

this thread... "my car is better than your car"

Lamborghini-Sesto-Elemento-1-625x415.jpg

Sesto Elemento ftw. Unfortunately it's just a concept car atm...and if it ever comes out I'm sure there will be a list of people able to buy, and I won't be on it. ;)

its suppouse to have no metals on it, weighing around 3500 lbs and have like 600+ HP. so, ur gonna go, real, real fast.

its suppouse to have no metals on it, weighing around 3500 lbs and have like 600+ HP. so, ur gonna go, real, real fast.

Just curious... how do you build components like wheels and an engine with "no metals"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know subarus for a fact use plastic for their intake manifolds....so i guess it is possible

911 (997) Turbo S

Its fast (3.1 s to 60), its practical, the handling has gotten a lot better for being a 911, they hold their value better than any Japanese car, and its not as flashy or expensive as the Ferrari 458, so you can drive it everyday if you choose. However, the 458 would be the ideal track car for the weekends.

I am a huge Porsche fan! Currently, I drive a Lexus is300 but hope to some day have a Cayenne GT-S towing a Porsche GT2 to the track!

trailer.test.500.jpg

I had a 1972 Ford Bronco that I bought when I was 15 and worked on over the years. I busted my ass for a lot of years in various crappy jobs to rebuild it, but unfortunately it sat in storage most of the time...

dsc0014im9.jpg

I also had a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8...

svtpsignaturepicturets4.jpg

I sold the Evo and the Bronco and picked up a 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon, base model. It's pretty boring but it has been reliable and the only car my wife and I have needed for the past three years. However, with an out-of-the-city clerkship coming up, plus away rotations, plus residency interviews next year, we decided we needed an additional car so she now has a 2007 Mazda 6 GT.

Down the road - I'd like to rebuild another 1st generation Bronco, although oriented more towards serious off-roading. I've also always wanted to build a '32 3-Window coupe with a blown big block. And finally, maybe a '62 Impala rat rod like the one below...

dsc0065small.jpg

Just curious... how do you build components like wheels and an engine with "no metals"?
He is probably referring to the chassis, in which case I can think of various all carbon fiber chassis cars, like the Zonda Z or Kevlar/Carbon fiber like the Koenigsegg CCXR.

911 (997) Turbo S

errr.... :thumbup:

love me some Audi too, but they do make compromises for the sake of the drivetrain.

:hello:Big Subie enthusiast here! I have a 2006 Forester. I love it! I would like to get an Impreza or Legacy, but the Forester is convenient for transporting animals. My dream Subie is a WRX STi (duh!). I will always own a Subaru. :)

Last edited:
I don't think I would be interested in a man driving a 1985 Cutlass. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I see the way a man cares for and drives his car as a testament to his masculinity. If you've ever noticed, mainly girls have really dirty cars full of clothes, crap, and other trash. Therefore, when I see a guy with a dirty car I think: teenage girl. *Not saying searun's car is necessarily dirty.* Also, fast driving and knowledge of mechanical things turn me on. :love: (My BF drives a black BMW 328xi coupe)

I would find you pretty boring.

This is my baby now:

img0344ir.jpg

This will be my baby in 20 years or so:

Car_mjyyfgot9n.jpg

I would find you pretty boring.
You use your car as a test, screen, whatever you want to call it.... thats just weird, and on top of it is just an ugly car. Id rather drive a soviet era lada than a 1985 cutclass. I wouldnt think many girls would have much of an issue if you found them boring.

I drive a Prius (I heart the ozone layer) and I don't think I'm likely to go back to a full-gas car. But I suck at driving so I doubt I'll ever have a super nice car.

Something to consider as well: unless you're going into private practice, do you really want your patients to see you rolling into the hospital in a six-figure car while they're struggling to pay your fees? Or are you talking "weekend" cars here?

I drive a Prius (I heart the ozone layer) and I don't think I'm likely to go back to a full-gas car. But I suck at driving so I doubt I'll ever have a super nice car.

Something to consider as well: unless you're going into private practice, do you really want your patients to see you rolling into the hospital in a six-figure car while they're struggling to pay your fees? Or are you talking "weekend" cars here?

One thing I noticed when working at a hospital: the row of Lexuses and Mercedes in the physician parking were nice, but they were there when I went into my shift in the morning and still there when I left at the end of my shift.

I also have rarely (never) seen any physicians driving six figure cars. We are dreaming, here. The last doctor I saw was driving a Prius and I wasn't offended as I paid my $15 copay.

My car obsession is with all things small, eco-friendly, easy-to-steer, and CUTE! We decided to get a new Toyota Rav4 this year when our Chrysler crapped out...
2009_toyota_rav4_press_images_4.jpg

...it's trusty and roomy, good for frequent traveling/relocating... But when I'm making some real money, I can't wait to get one of these cuties for my own!
ZapSmartCarBlue-tm.jpg
mini_cooper_night_h325.jpg

Not sure about cars like the Nissan Leaf yet... I kind of wanna wait and see how easy they are to maintain in the long-term. I would also love a motorcycle, but my husband has kind of forbidden me from getting one :/ Perhaps he will reconsider one day when I have good life insurance... Til then I keep dreaming about driving just the basic Kawasaki Ninja!
21475_0_1_2_ninja%20zx-12%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

This is my baby now:

img0344ir.jpg

This will be my baby in 20 years or so:

Car_mjyyfgot9n.jpg

if u look at the spec sheet for audi R8, its not very big really, its not very manly.

nothing like a big-ol mercedez tho :). check out the AMG series too if u want some badass speed.

I drive a '93 Lexus GS300 with 188k miles on it. When it poops out, I have some bonds and some extra cash from my parents to purchase a car if I end up at a school where I need one. Will probably buy a subie of some sort if I need AWD.

In the future, I'd like to own a porsche. Everyone likes to pretend that porsche owners are douches, but I know a few who are just awesome dudes that like to drive. Personally, I prefer the Targa 4S or the regular 4S, even tho it's a compromise in several ways, I don't care about maximizing performance as much as I care about the whole experience.

Would also like an A6 or A8.

if u look at the spec sheet for audi R8, its not very big really, its not very manly.

nothing like a big-ol mercedez tho :). check out the AMG series too if u want some badass speed.

Oh yeah powerwise it definately not super special, but the way it looks and sounds in person, not a whole lot of cars come close! My evo right now has enough power for me to keep me plenty happy.

Why does a car need to be big to be manly? Ever seen a bugatti Veyron? They're not very big either, nor is a Lotis Exige, Aston Martins aren't the largest of cars, Mercedes SLR is tiny. I love the R8.

My contribution, I drive a 2004 350z. I'll post a picture when I'm at home and have access to them. Future dream car? R8 or Carrera GT. More realistic goals? Aston Martin, Porsche Turbo, GTR, who knows.

Why does a car need to be big to be manly? Ever seen a bugatti Veyron? They're not very big either, nor is a Lotis Exige, Aston Martins aren't the largest of cars, Mercedes SLR is tiny. I love the R8.

My contribution, I drive a 2004 350z. I'll post a picture when I'm at home and have access to them. Future dream car? R8 or Carrera GT. More realistic goals? Aston Martin, Porsche Turbo, GTR, who knows.

ur avatar suggest me that u do like that very much sir :).

ur avatar suggest me that u do like that very much sir :).

:laugh: Cars, working out and medicine. Its a way of life :cool:

I love porsche, there is just other cars I'd like to drive more. There is WAY too many porsches in Orange County.

My first car was a 1985.5 Porsche 944. I love that car. Wish I still had it. I will probably buy one in the future as a toy to rebuild.

Wow, there are a lot of Subaru drivers on here. I drive a 2008 Impreza, base model, 5 speed manual. It was the cheapest new Subaru possible, but still not a bad car at all. Here in Buffalo, AWD is extremely useful for the winter.

I don't think I would ever own anything but a Subaru, and WRX / STi are dream cars for me, of course. I've test driven the 2009/2010 WRX numerous times, and it was awesome.

Even came close to signing a lease deal for a WRX, but ultimately couldn't afford it, so I decided not to do it. Instead, I bought out the lease on my base model Impreza, so I own a car and the payments are much lower.

I already owned my dream car for 6 years in undergrad... once i graduate med school and get a job i'll buy another one... E30 325is..

Wow, there are a lot of Subaru drivers on here. I drive a 2008 Impreza, base model, 5 speed manual. It was the cheapest new Subaru possible, but still not a bad car at all. Here in Buffalo, AWD is extremely useful for the winter.

If I ever live somewhere that its going to snow and I need AWD I'd probably go for an STi or EVO. I couldn't see myself in an SUV or truck.

Ditto on the advantages of owning the car outright. All the money I can save while in school the better. No 200/month car payment is 2400 a year I don't have to take in loans.

i am kind of surprised that no one here likes the upper level family sedans. like toyota avalon, nissan maxima, or anything like that.

i think for my first car that i will pay out of my own pocket is going to be a maxima. beamers and benzes are nice, but i dont think ill be able to get it off the bat. maxima at 40k can come with all the features i think ill ever want in a car. it packs 290 HP with 19 inch wheels. its so ballin.

i am kind of surprised that no one here likes the upper level family sedans. like toyota avalon, nissan maxima, or anything like that.

Something like this will likely be but I use to get to and from work and when I'm only shuttling two or three kids around (hubs and I have always wanted a large family).

911 (997) Turbo S

Porsches are awesome. I also like the 911 GT2 RS (lapped the Nurburgring circuit in record time for production vehicles) and the 918 Spyder is just a triumph of engineering.

My favorite (dream) car of all is the McLaren F1 though -- fantastic in every aspect of the word.

Porsches are awesome. I also like the 911 GT2 RS (lapped the Nurburgring circuit in record time for production vehicles) and the 918 Spyder is just a triumph of engineering.

My favorite (dream) car of all is the McLaren F1 though -- fantastic in every aspect of the word.

lol the mercedez amg series one? if so, ima tell u this right now, its very likely ull never be able to efford that on a doctors salary unless u run a hospital.

its his favorite. doesnt mean he is going to pursue it. miranda kerr is my favorite supermodel. doesnt mean im going to be kissing her dimples anytime soonnnnn

Good, you should love that then considering your sig.

you make no sense my friend

PS someone tell me how to post a picture without "attaching" it. Thought I had it figured out, but it didn't work (at least on my work computer, which is ancient).

Last edited:
lol the mercedez amg series one? if so, ima tell u this right now, its very likely ull never be able to efford that on a doctors salary unless u run a hospital.

No hes talking about the McLaren F1, the old school one... but thats even worse considering its a million+ dollar car. Anyways, I think with good finances and several years of experience some doctors could afford any car off the current amg series.

:laugh: only in this thread would you see something like this being written about a V10 with a 12.5/1 compression ratio that makes 100hp/liter. nope, not manly until you hit V12 bi-turbo.

Jesus, a $1000000 car?! Looooooord.

I will be spending something like $50K on something like this...

2009-acura-mdx.jpg

If I ever buy something worth $1,000,000, it'll be something like this:

57093400.jpg
<~~ It looks like a castle!

^no one gives a **** about trains you Communist.

HAHA did no one else find this funny? Man, we need to ramp up the propaganda (although I personally do enjoy trains)

I would also love a motorcycle, but my husband has kind of forbidden me from getting one :/ Perhaps he will reconsider one day when I have good life insurance... Til then I keep dreaming about driving just the basic Kawasaki Ninja!
21475_0_1_2_ninja%20zx-12%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

The significant other is usually the biggest hurdle to get passed. Butter him up with good food and then sign both of you up for an MSF accredited riding course. It will help you decide if it is for you while teaching you in a safe, controlled environment. Your husband may even find that he likes it too.

For the record, there isn't anything basic about a ZX-12 haha, start small and work your way up :thumbup:

oh yeah, motorcycles are stupid. if the front tire blows out, you're an automatic vegetable. especially if you're riding a crotch-rocket type of motorcycle. however, harleys are cool, but still stupid.

That is a "stupid" comment. What if you get T-boned by an 18-wheeler on the driver side of your car... Live in fear if you want. No reason to judge other people

Somebody wanna tell me how to embed pics (not attach them)?

That is a "stupid" comment. What if you get T-boned by an 18-wheeler on the driver side of your car... Live in fear if you want. No reason to judge other people

I am, admittedly, terrified of motorcycles. It all stems back to this book I read when I was a teenager about these two college student ER volunteers and all the cases that come in one night. One of the few deaths was a kid that skidded out on a highway ramp when he was riding his cousin's motorcycle. I still shudder when I think about the description of the ER staff trying to scrub asphalt grit out of what was left of his flesh. :barf: