- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Cardiology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020
Started by Future Cardiologist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has wayne state sent out invites?
Has wayne state sent out invites?
They started sending IVs on 9/11
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AverageFellow
New Member
How is the program at Wayne State/DMC? They just sound a little rude
How is the program at Wayne State/DMC? They just sound a little rude
I haven’t received interview there
D
deleted980918
Lahey clinic vs St Elizabeth, if I can only make it to one of them, which one should i go? interested in iterventional
Around 1-2pm, we had a few delays on my dayHas anyone interviewed at Indiana University school of medicine yet? Do you know what time the interview day finishes?
Whoa, maybe I shouldn't have cancelled my MCW in favor of Aurora...any information on MCW?I'm an ex-fellow. Albeit some years out i'm certain things have not changed much since faculty has remained unchanged for years and they mostly hire their own fellows so the "culture" doesn't change. it relies on a few big names but actual education is very very limited.
Autonomy is a huge issue there in all departments. Fellows are not trusted to do anything anywhere. There's vey limited hands on training, their 24/7 in house cardiologist takes all ED calls so you don't learn to triage ER STEMIs/NSTEMIs (huge problem) but they call you after all clinical decision making is done and procedures are completed to write the note n place orders n take nurse pages. Fellows consult service only sees stable NSTEMIs.
cath lab has no hands on training. no cath lab till year 2 and even their IC fellows don't get to do much so don't count on being allowed to do much as a general fellow.
the biggest disappointment of all was the echo teaching. it's an excellent program for sonographers, not so much fellows. Faculty rarely teaches. they're busy reading 40-50 echos in a half day. Im a good cardiologist thanks to a lot of learning i needed to do on job.
they have you take an insane number of calls, one of the highest i've seen nationally as you cover 2 hospitals. they justify it by saying they're not busy but frankly I'd rather have a busy call less frequently than calls all the time that are light.
it's an ok program but frankly they mislead quite a bit during interviews. you'll be a cardiologist eventually, you'll just have to be driven to learn.
Thanks for the insight man! Appreciate it!I'm an ex-fellow. Albeit some years out i'm certain things have not changed much since faculty has remained unchanged for years and they mostly hire their own fellows so the "culture" doesn't change. it relies on a few big names but actual education is very very limited.
Autonomy is a huge issue there in all departments. Fellows are not trusted to do anything anywhere. There's vey limited hands on training, their 24/7 in house cardiologist takes all ED calls so you don't learn to triage ER STEMIs/NSTEMIs (huge problem) but they call you after all clinical decision making is done and procedures are completed to write the note n place orders n take nurse pages. Fellows consult service only sees stable NSTEMIs.
cath lab has no hands on training. no cath lab till year 2 and even their IC fellows don't get to do much so don't count on being allowed to do much as a general fellow.
the biggest disappointment of all was the echo teaching. it's an excellent program for sonographers, not so much fellows. Faculty rarely teaches. they're busy reading 40-50 echos in a half day. Im a good cardiologist thanks to a lot of learning i needed to do on job.
they have you take an insane number of calls, one of the highest i've seen nationally as you cover 2 hospitals. they justify it by saying they're not busy but frankly I'd rather have a busy call less frequently than calls all the time that are light.
it's an ok program but frankly they mislead quite a bit during interviews. you'll be a cardiologist eventually, you'll just have to be driven to learn.
I think Lahey is the better one and has a well established name as wellLahey clinic vs St Elizabeth, if I can only make it to one of them, which one should i go? interested in iterventional
AverageFellow
New Member
Hi Guys,
Need some advice. I am sure many of you have either faced this question or will be facing it while interviewing at home program. How do you answer this, - "Do you wanna stay here?" I mean I would love to but may go out if have better options. How do you put it in a subtle manner?
Need some advice. I am sure many of you have either faced this question or will be facing it while interviewing at home program. How do you answer this, - "Do you wanna stay here?" I mean I would love to but may go out if have better options. How do you put it in a subtle manner?
Sunshine55
New Member
Anyone knows how is MetroHealth Cleveland for cardiology fellowship?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Geisinger is a great program, supportive PD and very good scedule. The only thing taking away from it is the location and the fact that they don't do LVADs and transplants. Overall very strong clinical training. Send you to UPenn for HF elective for 4 wks though.Hello folks,
How would you rank:
Geisinger, Cook county, Lutheran general, Suny downstate? Plan for General Cardiology. Thank you, your thoughts appreciated
Quick question for anyone who has insight: I’m having trouble deciding between 1) Texas Heart, 2) Tufts, and 3) UAB.
I know they are very different programs, and if it helps, I am interested in interventional and structural. I want to be well trained procedurally but also want the requisite critical thinking skills to be a good clinical cardiologist.
Any insight?
I know they are very different programs, and if it helps, I am interested in interventional and structural. I want to be well trained procedurally but also want the requisite critical thinking skills to be a good clinical cardiologist.
Any insight?
Also any insight on houston programs. I know there have been discussions in the past but any insight on recent updates, Baylor vs THI vs UT. Interest in interventional. Open to academics vs pp mode but want an exposure of both during training.Quick question for anyone who has insight: I’m having trouble deciding between 1) Texas Heart, 2) Tufts, and 3) UAB.
I know they are very different programs, and if it helps, I am interested in interventional and structural. I want to be well trained procedurally but also want the requisite critical thinking skills to be a good clinical cardiologist.
Any insight?
An FYI on SUNY Downstate for all of those who have an interview there: The CT surgery department has been on suspension from the department of health for having too high of a mortality rate. So the program is currently not an active STEMI center, they are not doing complex EP procedures, and a lot of cases are getting transferred out. Applicants were told that the surgery department is getting re-evaluated in 4-6 months.
For all my cardiology hopefuls, it's something to be aware of and not taken lightly as it was glossed over on interview day as a "speed bump" in the program.
Good luck.
For all my cardiology hopefuls, it's something to be aware of and not taken lightly as it was glossed over on interview day as a "speed bump" in the program.
Good luck.
Any IMGs still receiving invites from cancelations? You don’t have to mention any names, just curious to see if they’re still trickling in
Nothing for me
ciroussadeghi
New Member
I have mine on 10/11 if you're willing to switch! let me know 🙂Hi guys, i have an interview at cook county, IL 10/8 and would like to switch to another date. Any one likes to trade in. Thank you
ciroussadeghi
New Member
Anyone willing to switch Cook county interview on 10/11 for 10/8 or 10/15? Please let me know!
AverageFellow
New Member
An FYI on SUNY Downstate for all of those who have an interview there: The CT surgery department has been on suspension from the department of health for having too high of a mortality rate. So the program is currently not an active STEMI center, they are not doing complex EP procedures, and a lot of cases are getting transferred out. Applicants were told that the surgery department is getting re-evaluated in 4-6 months.
For all my cardiology hopefuls, it's something to be aware of and not taken lightly as it was glossed over on interview day as a "speed bump" in the program.
Good luck.
[/Q
An FYI on SUNY Downstate for all of those who have an interview there: The CT surgery department has been on suspension from the department of health for having too high of a mortality rate. So the program is currently not an active STEMI center, they are not doing complex EP procedures, and a lot of cases are getting transferred out. Applicants were told that the surgery department is getting re-evaluated in 4-6 months.
For all my cardiology hopefuls, it's something to be aware of and not taken lightly as it was glossed over on interview day as a "speed bump" in the program.
Good luck.
Thank you for sharing this. Could you please tell how the typical Interview day would look like? Like how the day would start, how many IVs and does the PD meet everyone etc?
AverageFellow
New Member
Hi Guys,
For those interviewed at SUNY Downstate. Could you please tell how the typical Interview day would look like? Like how the day would start, how many IVs and does the PD meet everyone etc?
For those interviewed at SUNY Downstate. Could you please tell how the typical Interview day would look like? Like how the day would start, how many IVs and does the PD meet everyone etc?
AverageFellow
New Member
Any IMGs still receiving invites from cancelations? You don’t have to mention any names, just curious to see if they’re still trickling in
nothing for me
Quick question for anyone who has insight: I’m having trouble deciding between 1) Texas Heart, 2) Tufts, and 3) UAB.
I know they are very different programs, and if it helps, I am interested in interventional and structural. I want to be well trained procedurally but also want the requisite critical thinking skills to be a good clinical cardiologist.
Any insight?
I'm not sure what you mean by critical thinking skills, any of those programs will support that and it's on you as well to develop it. I interviewed at THI and knew some who've gone there. It's a clinically driven program, not traditional academic program. Strong in interventional but solid across the board overall. 4th year spot is pretty much guaranteed to all general fellows and it includes structural training too. Everyone seems happy there not only with the training but also culture and lifestyle, they treat their fellows well. But again, these are fellows interested in clinical/PP careers, it's not for everyone.
Also any insight on houston programs. I know there have been discussions in the past but any insight on recent updates, Baylor vs THI vs UT. Interest in interventional. Open to academics vs pp mode but want an exposure of both during training.
THI is on the PP side, Baylor is on the traditional academic side, UTH is somewhere in the middle. The vibe and culture couldn't be any more different though. Think hard what you want out of your training and you career goals and go with your gut. They'll all train you well enough(as will most programs out there).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nothing for me
US IMG here, just got one today.
Do you mind sharing from where?US IMG here, just got one today.
At one of the places I interviewed, I sent an email a week after the interview stating that I would be ranking them first. Other than the associate pd I did not hear back from the pd or the chief. It’s been three days since I first sent the email. Is this a subtle way of them saying no or they haven’t decided yet since they are still interviewing.
At one of the places I interviewed, I sent an email a week after the interview stating that I would be ranking them first. Other than the associate pd I did not hear back from the pd or the chief. It’s been three days since I first sent the email. Is this a subtle way of them saying no or they haven’t decided yet since they are still interviewing.
Means nothing, don't read into it.
I haven't received an itinerary from UPMC, any idea when the interview day starts?
Email/call to ask.
Any thoughts on UMKC vs UK? It seems as though UMKC is not very clinically strong, but all the faculty insist that their program puts out amazingly trained docs.
UK seems very heavy on the clinical side, but I'm not sure where they are at in terms of research
I want to do interventional or heart failure if that helps. I know UMKC is the biggest heart transplant center in the midwest, but I think it's also important to be well rounded
UK seems very heavy on the clinical side, but I'm not sure where they are at in terms of research
I want to do interventional or heart failure if that helps. I know UMKC is the biggest heart transplant center in the midwest, but I think it's also important to be well rounded
whatsnext27
New Member
What are people’s thoughts on UT Austin’s new cardiology program?
Hi, What are the interview dates for northwestern?
Hey guys,
Curious to see how would you rank:
Houston Methodist vs. Minnesota vs. Loyola vs. Beaumont vs. IU.
Thanks!!
All are pretty strong clinical programs. But based on what I know about the programs, I think:
1) Minnesota
2) Beaumont/Methodist
3) Loyola
4) IU
Mind sharing your credentials?
Do people know when we will start to hear post-interview communication from programs? Is it toward the end of October?
Probably never, I wouldn't count on hearing anything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
uchihasasuke7
New Member
What are thoughts on Aurora healthcare in Milwaukee? There website looks promising.
TYIA
I wanted to ask, did anyone interview there yet ? How many interviews do they do at interview day ? And is it random faculty ?
TYIA
Did you guys get feedback from Cook county, IL after thank you letter !
Heartguy2020
New Member
What are thoughts on ranking the following, interested in interventional:
Beaumont
Colorado
Mayo Rochester
Michigan
Minnesota
Utah
Wash U
Thanks!
Beaumont
Colorado
Mayo Rochester
Michigan
Minnesota
Utah
Wash U
Thanks!
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 432
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 10K