This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirocN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to SDN, so if I am posting this in the wrong place please let me know!

Long story short, USA and Canadian MD and DO medical schools are out of discussion because of the obvious reasons of GPA / MCAT and so on.

I know going abroad will be harder and risky but, in a quick response please let me know what you guys think.
Which medical schools would be best? As far as acceptance rates go in residency / teaching abilities / lifestyle and so on.
I hear a lot of criticism and bad things about all of the schools but I do not want to get into a Caribbean school knowing that maybe getting into a European school like Poland or Spain or Italy or even Australia was better.

I already know the odds are against me I just don't want to make the odds even worse.

If you can help, please do.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, USA and Canadian MD and DO medical schools are out of discussion because of the obvious reasons of GPA / MCAT and so on.

I know going abroad will be harder and risky but, in a quick response please let me know what you guys think.
Which medical schools would be best? As far as acceptance rates go in residency / teaching abilities / lifestyle and so on.
I hear a lot of criticism and bad things about all of the schools but I do not want to get into a Caribbean school knowing that maybe getting into a European school like Poland or Spain or Italy or even Australia was better.

I already know the odds are against me I just don't want to make the odds even worse.

Thank you!

Applying Foreign MD?? (Not Caribbean)

How bad are we talking for MCAT/GPA? There are plenty of schools that are willing to reward reinvention, particularly DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!
Wouldn't it be better to take a couple years to fix yourself up with graduate degrees and MCAT prep and other relevant experiences rather than take your chances in a foreign system? At minimum, you would have to be agreeable to living in the country of your education long term. Med school is already a life changer, why make it that much more of a radical departure?

Last edited:
How bad are we talking for MCAT/GPA? There are plenty of schools that are willing to reward reinvention, particularly DO schools.

Have not done the MCAT yet... doing it this August

As far as GPA, higher than 2.6 but lower than 2.9
First two years of undergrad went horrible (low 2.0's)
Last two years of undergrad went okay (mid 3.0's)

Thank you!
If you wish to be a doctor in the US, go to a US medical school. No shortcuts.

Reactions: 6 users
If you wish to be a doctor in the US, go to a US medical school. No shortcuts.

Nobody is asking for shortcuts.

Also, one does not HAVE to go to medical school in the US to practice in the US. I know a couple people who are doctors in the US by going to a Caribbean medical school.

Please dont respond to anyone posts if you dont know what you're talking about! You dont want to be misleading :)

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Nobody is asking for shortcuts.

Also, one does not HAVE to go to medical school in the US to practice in the US. I know a couple people who are doctors in the US by going to a Caribbean medical school.

Please dont respond to anyone posts if you dont know what you're talking about! You dont want to be misleading :)
Telling an AdComm member from the site that they don't know what they are talking about isn't a great move to get help. @Goro is saying that going to Caribbean/Europe would be a shortcut rather than spending 1-2 years getting your GPA above 3 and taking the MCAT or getting into a SMP. Honestly, what makes you confident that you WOULDN'T be one of the 50% who drop out of these schools before graduating? Having multiple years of confident, exceptional coursework will save you money and heartache in the long run.

Reactions: 12 users
If you're wishing to practice in the US, it is much easier to just do grade replacement and go DO. While going Caribbean and matching is not unheard of, it is not easy. Many HAVE to SOAP and sometimes that doesn't work out either.

Telling an AdComm member from the site that they don't know what they are talking about isn't a great move to get help. @Goro is saying that going to Caribbean/Europe would be a shortcut rather than spending 1-2 years getting your GPA above 3 and taking the MCAT or getting into a SMP. Honestly, what makes you confident that you WOULDN'T be one of the 50% who drop out of these schools before graduating? Having multiple years of confident, exceptional coursework will save you money and heartache in the long run.

I read it wrong at first. My apologies to @Goro
I was under the impression that he was stating that it is impossible unless you go to a US school. Thank you
@OneTwoThreeFour for clarifying

If you're wishing to practice in the US, it is much easier to just do grade replacement and go DO. While going Caribbean and matching is not unheard of, it is not easy. Many HAVE to SOAP and sometimes that doesn't work out either.

What about schools in Poland, Australia, Ireland?

Members don't see this ad :)

In the only reliable data we have, the only European country with a sufficient number of US-born applicants to be included was Poland.
Of those who got at least one interview, only 46 matched into their preferred specialty. 79 did not.
See page 22: https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
You would be making the odds against you even worse.

Reactions: 2 users
I would hypothesize that there will be even fewer international students matching going forward now that MD and DO residencies have combined. Pool of US trained docs effectively doubled.

Reactions: 1 user
In the only reliable data we have, the only European country with a sufficient number of US-born applicants to be included was Poland.
Of those who got at least one interview, only 46 matched into their preferred specialty. 79 did not.
See page 22:
You would be making the odds against you even worse.

Thanks for the charts. Really gave me some insights.
Dates back to 2013 though, anything newer?

If you look at matching data for Poland and Ireland, it's as bad as Carib.

Really?
I have seen people keep saying Poland > Caribbean or Ireland > Caribbean

Had no idea the match data was identical

Thanks for the charts. Really gave me some insights.
Dates back to 2013 though, anything newer?
The AAMC only published the data by country once (2014).
Apparently, there was some considerable blow back from the operators of these places.

Aacomas doesn’t do grade replacement anymore.

This is what these schools count on as part of their business model. The more ignorant the marks, the more $ they make.

I was looking at a post made by @JohnSnow named *Non-Caribbean International Medical School Options*
and he stated
"I really would like to steer some American applicants away from the Caribbean and towards Australia. In general, if you can get yourself a spot in one of the 'Big 4' or 'Big 5' Caribbean schools you should be able to find yourself a spot in Australia. Going to the Caribbean you will spend 2 years in a developing nation (or, and I hate this term, a "third world country"), that is not the case with Australia. Furthermore, there won't be a stigma attached to the Australian degree as the schools there aren't viewed as "diploma mills" like the Caribbean schools. You will have a lot easier time explaining in a residency interview why you chose to study in Australia than you will with the Caribbean. Although they are a minority some students who go to Australia actually choose to study there over North America, Caribbean students go to the Carib because they couldn't get into a school in America, period, and everyone knows it."

What do you think about this. I have been reading his posts in regards to other international schools. However the post is from 2013

I was looking at a post made by @JohnSnow named *Non-Caribbean International Medical School Options*
and he stated
"I really would like to steer some American applicants away from the Caribbean and towards Australia. In general, if you can get yourself a spot in one of the 'Big 4' or 'Big 5' Caribbean schools you should be able to find yourself a spot in Australia. Going to the Caribbean you will spend 2 years in a developing nation (or, and I hate this term, a "third world country"), that is not the case with Australia. Furthermore, there won't be a stigma attached to the Australian degree as the schools there aren't viewed as "diploma mills" like the Caribbean schools. You will have a lot easier time explaining in a residency interview why you chose to study in Australia than you will with the Caribbean. Although they are a minority some students who go to Australia actually choose to study there over North America, Caribbean students go to the Carib because they couldn't get into a school in America, period, and everyone knows it."

What do you think about this. I have been reading his posts in regards to other international schools. However the post is from 2013

So after trying to look at a few schools in Australia I have not been able to find a single match list or breakdown of % matched. I doubt that is because they are so good that they are trying to keep it a secret.

and he stated

Why would the Australian schools want to take Americans who don't have the stats for US schools?

and he stated

I agree that Australia is a better option (I even briefly considered it). The biggest point in their favor is that the Australian Universities are part of the same university systems that train Australian doctors. The downside is that you are still applying to residency as an IMG. With more MD/DO grads every year, it's only going to get harder to go the international route. There is no way around that. If you want to practice in the US you are better off taking a year or two to get into a DO school.

Why would the Australian schools want to take Americans who don't have the stats for US schools?

$$$$ - International tuition rates subsidize Australian students

So after trying to look at a few schools in Australia I have not been able to find a single match list or breakdown of % matched. I doubt that is because they are so good that they are trying to keep it a secret.

That is probably because the Australian schools are mostly training Australian doctors. The UQ ochsner match statistics are easy to find and are pretty good. (95% matched)

Anesthesiology
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center,
Chicago, IL
Case Western, Cleveland, OH
Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD
Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA
Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA (2)
St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO

Emergency Medicine
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO
LSU Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA
St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Toledo, OH

Family Medicine
East Jefferson General Hospital, Metairie, LA
Middlesex Hospital, Middletown, CT
Sea Mar Community Health Center, WA
St. Joseph Hospital, Denver, CO

General Surgery
East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
Guthrie Robert Parker Hospital, Sayre, PA
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine,
Roanoke, VA

Internal Medicine
Billings Clinic, Billings, MT
Bridgeport Hospital, Bridgeport, CT
Broward Health, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ
Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH
Gwinnett Medical Center, Lawrenceville, GA
Inova Health System, Fairfax, VA
Legacy Emmanuel Good Samaritan,
Portland, OR
LSU New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
NYU Winthrop University, Mineola, NY
Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA (7)
Providence Health, Portland, OR
Scripps Clinic, San Diego, CA
University of Nebraska Medical Center,
Omaha, NE
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
University of Texas Austin Dell, Austin, TX
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Virginia Commonwealth University, VA (2)
Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA
White River Health System, Batesville, AR

Medicine Preliminary
Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA (4)
Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Neurology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
University of Virginia, VA

Neurosurgery
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA

OBGYN
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
Weill Cornell New York Presbyterian Brooklyn
Methodist Hospital, Brooklyn, NY

Orthopedics
Atlanta Medical Center, Atlanta, GA

Pathology
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN

Pediatrics
New York Methodist Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
University of Hawaii, HI

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
University of Miami, Miami, FL

Psychiatry
LSU/Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA
LSU Shreveport, Shreveport, LA
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Radiology
Baylor University, Waco, TX
Christiana Care Health System, Wilmington, DE
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine,
Hempstead, NY
Mount Sinai St. Luke's Hospital, New York, NY

Surgery Preliminary
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA

Vascular Surgery
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH

Link to previous years: Australia - U.S. Medical School

I agree that Australia is a better option (I even briefly considered it). The biggest point in their favor is that the Australian Universities are part of the same university systems that train Australian doctors. The downside is that you are still applying to residency as an IMG. With more MD/DO grads every year, it's only going to get harder to go the international route. There is no way around that. If you want to practice in the US you are better off taking a year or two to get into a DO school.

That is probably because the Australian schools are mostly training Australian doctors. The UQ ochsner match statistics are easy to find and are pretty good. (95% matched)

Anesthesiology
Chicago, IL

Emergency Medicine

Family Medicine

General Surgery
Roanoke, VA

Internal Medicine
Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH
Portland, OR
Omaha, NE

Medicine Preliminary

Neurology

Neurosurgery

OBGYN

Orthopedics

Pathology

Pediatrics
University of Hawaii, HI

Psychiatry

Radiology
Hempstead, NY

Surgery Preliminary

Vascular Surgery

Wow, that's impressive for an international school. Do they have any statistics on attrition rate? Also do you think their trend will keep up with the crunch coming up with the Merger and increasing number of US MD/DO?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Anesthesiology
Chicago, IL

Emergency Medicine

Family Medicine

General Surgery
Roanoke, VA

Internal Medicine
Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH
Portland, OR
Omaha, NE

Medicine Preliminary

Neurology

Neurosurgery

OBGYN

Orthopedics

Pathology

Pediatrics
University of Hawaii, HI

Psychiatry

Radiology
Hempstead, NY

Surgery Preliminary

Vascular Surgery

Very impressive match list! I must not have looked at the right place on the site. What I DID find is that the average stats for that school are pretty high- 3.5 GPA with an MCAT of 507. So it is VERY different than going the Caribbean route where all you need is a checking account.

Oh god now we are going to have to come up with a new ranking system..... I can see the posts now.

MD>PR MD>?DO>>Australia>/=Carib>Poland>Trump U?

:dead:

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users

Anesthesiology
Chicago, IL

Emergency Medicine

Family Medicine

General Surgery
Roanoke, VA

Internal Medicine
Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH
Portland, OR
Omaha, NE

Medicine Preliminary

Neurology

Neurosurgery

OBGYN

Orthopedics

Pathology

Pediatrics
University of Hawaii, HI

Psychiatry

Radiology
Hempstead, NY

Surgery Preliminary

Vascular Surgery

wth is that match list... is that real?

Thank you!

1-Take whatever time you need to fix your app and the MCAT and try for a US DO school.
2- If your GPA is still low at that point then do an SMP that is affiliated with a DO school.
3- If those options fail, you can either give up medicine or apply to St. George's in Grenada.
4-Attending a Carribean school, like St.G, would at least allow you to complete years 3 and 4 in the US, vs. going to a European or an Australian Meds school. In other words, even if these European and Australian schools advertise you can complete years 3 and 4 in the US, the competition is very high than a Carrib school like St. G.
5-When looking at an off-shore medical school, some of the questions you should know before spending those big bucks are: what are their class size; how many students begin in term 1, how many end up graduating, what is their 4 year graduation %, what is their attrition rate, what is their first time USMLE Step 1 pass rate, how many of those match and what is their residency placements, federal vs private loans, etc.
6- If you do end up in the Carribean or any other non-US Meds school, know that your chances to match would be close to half with equal if not more $$$ debt to the US MD/DO student.
7-That said, spend doing numbers 1 and 2 for at least 2 DO application cycles before heading to another country.

Last edited:
The match listed had an Othro and Neurosurgery match. Probabaly so did Ross and SGU. Other than that it was ordinary
It was under 50% family, peds, or prelim. Feels impressive for an international place.

A whole lot of idiocy on this thread. Going to to a foreign school because you have sh**** Grades and expecting to succeed at a much harder graduate program than your undergrad party school is foolish. The correct thing to do is improve your grades and study habits and convince the second in America that you will be a successful med student. They are not letting you in because right now you will NOT be a successful med student. You want to take a shortcut. Going overseas identifies you as a poor student who tries to take shortcuts. You are setting yourself up for failure. It is idiotic to think that you will be more successful just by going to Australia over the Caribbean.

Stop being lazy and do it the right way. Yeah it’s gonna be harder. As it should be. And in spirit of fairness, your reward will be much greater.

1-Take whatever time you need to fix your app and the MCAT and try for a US DO school.
2- If your GPA is still low at that point then do an SMP that is affiliated with a DO school.
3- If those options fail, you can either give up medicine or apply to St. George's in Grenada.
4-Attending a Carribean school, like St.G, would at least allow you to complete years 3 and 4 in the US, vs. going to a European or an Australian Meds school. In other words, even if these European and Australian schools advertise you can complete years 3 and 4 in the US, the competition is very high than a Carrib school like St. G.
5-When looking at an off-shore medical school, some of the questions you should know before spending those big bucks are: what are their class size; how many students begin in term 1, how many end up graduating, what is their 4 year graduation %, what is their attrition rate, what is their first time USMLE Step 1 pass rate, how many of those match and what is their residency placements, federal vs private loans, etc.
6- If you do end up in the Carribean or any other non-US Meds school, know that your chances to match would be close to half with equal if not more $$$ debt to the US MD/DO student.
7-That said, spend doing numbers 1 and 2 for at least 2 DO application cycles before heading to another country.

Thank you for this

MONEY.

Apparently all medical schools in Australia are totally reputable and not for profit.

OP is delusional.

There has been a lot of chat in this thread.
What I have figured out for all these comments would be

Try to get into DO schools first and afterwards either quit becoming a doctors or worse case scenario Caribbean St.George Uni.

As far as POLAND, and IRELAND goes. Their match rate is horrible and is not worth it despite all the positive things being said about them being better than Caribbean.

And Australia has a great school but the average gpa is a 3.5 so you might as well try DO schools with that GPA.

Do you guys agree to this? lol

There has been a lot of chat in this thread.
What I have figured out for all these comments would be

Try to get into DO schools first and afterwards either quit becoming a doctors or worse case scenario Caribbean St.George Uni.

As far as POLAND, and IRELAND goes. Their match rate is horrible and is not worth it despite all the positive things being said about them being better than Caribbean.

And Australia has a great school but the average gpa is a 3.5 so you might as well try DO schools with that GPA.

Do you guys agree to this? lol
You got it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I know this is an old thread, BUT.....

This is the best thread regarding international schools on this forum(and trust me, I have searched a lot of them).

Why?
1) backed up by data (thank you gyngyn)

"see page 22: https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf"

2) clearly distilled recommendations (thank you sircoN), confirmed several times

"Try to get into DO schools first and afterwards either quit becoming a doctors or worse case scenario Caribbean St.George Uni.

And Australia has a great school but the average gpa is a 3.5 so you might as well try DO schools with that GPA"

===============
Thank you for saving me from a world of confusion guys!

I imagine the recent Step 1 changes are only further reinforcing the message here?

I know this is an old thread, BUT.....

This is the best thread regarding international schools on this forum(and trust me, I have searched a lot of them).

Why?
1) backed up by data (thank you gyngyn)

"see page 22: https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf"

2) clearly distilled recommendations (thank you sircoN), confirmed several times

"Try to get into DO schools first and afterwards either quit becoming a doctors or worse case scenario Caribbean St.George Uni.

And Australia has a great school but the average gpa is a 3.5 so you might as well try DO schools with that GPA"

===============
Thank you for saving me from a world of confusion guys!

I imagine the recent Step 1 changes are only further reinforcing the message here?
It's a pre-med and pre-clinical med student delusion that Step I going PF will affect PD choices. They'll simply use Step 2.

Yes, I agree. And preparing for step 2 is probably harder when attending universities that do not teach to US clinical guidelines.