Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know how many folks are invited to apply for the merit scholarships

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I'll be there in July as well, really looking forward to it! I had been admitted as part of the class of 2012, but had to defer entry until this year. Like the rest of you, I can't wait to get started in July, and I'm crazy about Case! :banana:

Hey all,

I was going to fill out some finaid stuff for Case and found this on the iApply website for the University Program. Not sure if it's already been brought up (sorry if that's the case!):

"May 1, 2009 - Multiple Acceptances - We are aware that many students will receive more than one acceptance. We understand that making a final decision is difficult and that many factors enter into the decision-making process. Our office is prepared to be as helpful to you as possible, and we ask that you not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance in this regard. For those few individuals who continue to hold more than one acceptance after May 1, we do reserve the right to withdraw our offer of acceptance."

May 1? I thought the universal deadline for holding only 1 acceptance was May 15?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I was going to fill out some finaid stuff for Case and found this on the iApply website for the University Program. Not sure if it's already been brought up (sorry if that's the case!):

"May 1, 2009 - Multiple Acceptances - We are aware that many students will receive more than one acceptance. We understand that making a final decision is difficult and that many factors enter into the decision-making process. Our office is prepared to be as helpful to you as possible, and we ask that you not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance in this regard. For those few individuals who continue to hold more than one acceptance after May 1, we do reserve the right to withdraw our offer of acceptance."

May 1? I thought the universal deadline for holding only 1 acceptance was May 15?

I was wondering this as well. Is it perhaps because Case starts early?

AAMC Recommendations for Medical School Admission Officers said:
5. Prior to May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each school permit ALL applicants (except for EDP applicants) - including those applying to M.D./Ph.D. programs and those to whom merit or other special scholarships have been awarded:

i. A minimum two-week time period for their response to the acceptance offer.

ii.To hold acceptance offers from any other schools without penalty.

6. After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each school implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools. These procedures:

a. May require applicants to:

i. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.

ii. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.

b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.

c. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school.

So, yeah, it looks like it's because they start early.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Thanks for looking it up! Another deadline to keep track of...

Hey, for anyone who got invited for the merit scholarship, the essay's out!

G'luck

Just a reminder, the scholarship essay is due today by 5pm...if anyone forgot

So...are there any plans to meet up the Thursday/early morning Friday before 2nd look officially starts?

Unfortunately, my flight's not arriving in Cleveland until Thursday 11:30pm :)mad:). But I was hoping to maybe schedule some apartment tours before checking in at the hotel...anyone care to join?

So...are there any plans to meet up the Thursday/early morning Friday before 2nd look officially starts?

Unfortunately, my flight's not arriving in Cleveland until Thursday 11:30pm :)mad:). But I was hoping to maybe schedule some apartment tours before checking in at the hotel...anyone care to join?

I get it around 2 on Friday.:(

Does anyone know just how helpful the Second Look is for undecided people? Or is it better for people who already know they're going to Case? I've registered but haven't yet booked a flight there yet.. I'm trying to budget some money to make it over, but flights aren't cheap and I am wondering if anyone knows just how important it is to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, whaddya know? This morning, I get an email saying that Southwest drops their fares by $25 each way so I decided to jump on that. Hopefully it helps me make a final decision.

Well, whaddya know? This morning, I get an email saying that Southwest drops their fares by $25 each way so I decided to jump on that. Hopefully it helps me make a final decision.

Hey do us all a favor, and give us your detailed impression of Case when you get back plssss :). I wld have loved to go but I dont think I wld hav been able to get off work anyways.

Last edited:
Hey do us all a favor, and give us your detailed impression of Case when you get back plssss :). I wld have loved to go but finances didnt come through...and I dont think I wld hav been able to get off work anyways.

Sure thing. I'm hoping this SWL helps me make a decision! It's pretty tough but today I'm leaning towards Case. Ask me again this time tomorrow, and I might be leaning elsewhere. ARRRGH.

Hey all, just wondering whether anyone has a status of "file complete" on the Financial Aid tab on iapply...

Looking forward to meeting some of you on Friday!! :D

Hey all, just wondering whether anyone has a status of "file complete" on the Financial Aid tab on iapply...

Looking forward to meeting some of you on Friday!! :D

I'm complete!:thumbup: (It changed sometime last week.)

I'm complete!:thumbup: (It changed sometime last week.)

thanks, myuu - i wasn't sure if it was just me. after reading this, i called them and figured out the problem. :cool:

For those of you that'll be in town this weekend, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has free admission for everyone all day Saturday.

For those of you that'll be in town this weekend, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has free admission for everyone all day Saturday.

Great! But it seems like our schedule will be pretty busy?

So excited!

will the hotel have computer and internet access in the room?

do we get a dental plan as case med students?

Anyone having luck finding housing that half (or more) of the residents don't hate?:(

Anyone having luck finding housing that half (or more) of the residents don't hate?:(

the residents hate the housing? i thought it was supposed to be good!:eek:

the residents hate the housing? i thought it was supposed to be good!:eek:

I'm cross-checking entries on ApartmentRatings and Rent.com along with the housing guide they gave us and it's not looking so good. The towers on campus just cheated me out of $43 through selective withholding of information... next best online-searchable apartment looks like the Waldorf, which half of the posters (a self-selecting and usually negative bunch) hate...:oops:

1391 Sheffield in South Euclid - Family Neighborhood about 10 min. from Case and Hospitals....

We have lived in this duplex for the past 4 years and have been able to pay over half of our mortgage while owning a home. We are moving out because we having our 3rd child in July.

Upper Unit earns $550 and lower $850/ month. It depends on where you would live how much you could cut your mortgage! (Not to mention the tax incentives for first time buyers.) Each unit has 2 bedrms/1 bath and large kitchens. Lower has hard wood floors in living rm. and bedrms + new flooring in kitchen and bath. Upper has new carpet through halls and stairwell and new floor in kitchen. Basement is shared and finished w/ extra bathroom. Washer and Dryer (plus appliances for both floors) included. 2 car garage. Large backyard. New roof in 08, newer windows, and drive way. All updates made through year 2012 to be approved as a rental unit in Sout Euclid. Near bus stop and walk to 24hr Giant Eagle, library, stores, and resturants.

We are asking what we owe on the home 145,000. (purchased for almost 20,000 more in 05) We are trying to sell before putting it on the market to save us and the buyer some money!

Contact Jared 216-410-0251 for more info. Pictures are available. [email protected]

Very clean, all rooms are newly painted...ready to move in with no work required!

Already looked at a place in Little Italy that I like :D But I don't know if I'll act on it because I am still waiting for financial aid to finalize my decision.

Yeah... I need to know if I can afford the triangle or not after all...:cry: Little Italy is my next target, though...

Kinda funny that we're all still mostly using the secondary thread :)

yeah i know, you know what! im boycotting the secondary thread, im gonna start only posting here, whos with me!?

Just found this thread I will also move over here (since I think we're bugging the pre-meds in the secondary thread).

I will ring in my first post here with an instructional video of how to best play rock band.

[YOUTUBE]5E4QfmKTCCo[/YOUTUBE]

Just found this thread I will also move over here (since I think we're bugging the pre-meds in the secondary thread).

I will ring in my first post here with an instructional video of how to best play rock band.

[YOUTUBE]5E4QfmKTCCo[/YOUTUBE]

Aaaaaaaaaaaand about a minute of that was good enough.:laugh:

I'm not quite that bad, I swear.

i dont think its official till we've actually started. i wont be chaning my sdn tag to med student till july anyways.:thumbup:

If you guys say so. I think my talk about money scared off a lot of people.

I still haven't decided where I'm going yet, mostly because I have STILL NOT RECEIVED MY FINANCIAL AID PACKET, but it's very much up in the air.

If you guys say so. I think my talk about money scared off a lot of people.

I still haven't decided where I'm going yet, mostly because I have STILL NOT RECEIVED MY FINANCIAL AID PACKET, but it's very much up in the air.

Booooo! Hopefully you'll get it today.:cry:

second look weekend photos are up on the facebook page. start tagging like crazzy!!!!

Ogod. I... do not photograph particularly well.:laugh:

I left one of me untagged. I would beg all of you kind people not to tag it.:cry:

Haha, I love the use of the crying smiley. I didn't tag myself either, as I'm continuing to remain kind of anonymous for another month or two. However, I did think about tagging the pic with my sdn name. :p

I would have tagged myself, but I was only in some of the large crowd shots of the presentation. :rolleyes:

i wasnt in any :(. maybe i should take some pictures of myself, and upload them and pretend they were there all along...:idea: