Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i wasnt in any :(. maybe i should take some pictures of myself, and upload them and pretend they were there all along...:idea:

you could also just photoshop yourself into some of the pics. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I would have tagged myself, but I was only in some of the large crowd shots of the presentation. :rolleyes:

I went to great lengths to tag the back of my head in those shots. I suggest you do the same!:smuggrin:

Heads up guys:

April 30th: NEW! Received pricing information from Apple yesterday. We expect to receive pricing information from Dell today or tomorrow. Will post the specs and information shortly. Watch for a very exciting announcement.

I went to great lengths to tag the back of my head in those shots. I suggest you do the same!:smuggrin:

Heads up guys:

April 30th: NEW! Received pricing information from Apple yesterday. We expect to receive pricing information from Dell today or tomorrow. Will post the specs and information shortly. Watch for a very exciting announcement.

Yup, just saw that. But the apple prices aren't on the laptop comparison table yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made a roommate post on casemed.case.edu. If anyone is interested in teaming up for living arrangements, shoot me a PM on here or email.

Yup, just saw that. But the apple prices aren't on the laptop comparison table yet.

Yeah, they said they expect a pricing update to go up "soon," which I'm guessing might be Monday-ish.:thumbup:

finally got my finaid letter yesterday. :) it was what i expected. is it wise to take the full amounts for the loans? how does the case loan work? this is probably something i should ask jessie clemmons...

~2 more months :D

finally got my finaid letter yesterday. :) it was what i expected. is it wise to take the full amounts for the loans? how does the case loan work? this is probably something i should ask jessie clemmons...

~2 more months :D

See you there!

from jessie:

"I would suggest that you borrow less of the loan amount you have been offered. If at any point during the year you need to borrow the funds you have until May to request them."

"The interest on the Case loan is 8%, which is treated as a subsidized loan. Note that there is no interest accruing while you are enrolled and during your residency program."

"If you anticipate that you will have funds at the end of the year, you don’t have to accept the full amount awarded. You can state the amount you wish to borrow in the space provided on the sheet you must return to our office."

entrance counselling? what the devil is that? :confused:

Financial Aid Letter said:
Dear Case Financial Aid,
􀂉 I am a new Medical Student and have completed the Student Entrance Counseling online and have chosen _______________________________ as my lender.
(Lender’s Name)
􀂉 I am a continuing student and request that you continue to process my loans through my current lender.
􀂉 I am a continuing student who had to choose another lender and have chosen _______________________________.
(Lender’s Name)
After reviewing the 2009-2010 Allocation of Financial

(I still haven't received a paper copy of this letter...)

New comparison table is up

So what's the big surprise they are waiting to announce?

Members don't see this ad :)
New comparison table is up

So what's the big surprise they are waiting to announce?

The prices.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But seriously, I have no idea. That looks pretty much like the old comparison table except with half-updated Mac specs (no idea about the Dells as I haven't been looking).:cry:

The prices.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But seriously, I have no idea. That looks pretty much like the old comparison table except with half-updated Mac specs (no idea about the Dells as I haven't been looking).:cry:

I haven't been looking at the Dells either, but it seems like the school really pushes them. Regardless of what they say or the price, I'm going for a Mac and will never buy a PC again. I just can't decide between a Macbook or Macbook pro.

I haven't been looking at the Dells either, but it seems like the school really pushes them. Regardless of what they say or the price, I'm going for a Mac and will never buy a PC again. I just can't decide between a Macbook or Macbook pro.

Depends on what you want to do with it outside of academics. I'm still waiting on the graphics card info (although I think they're both the same), before I feel absolutely justified in spending more bank on that MacBook Pro.:laugh:

it's worth noting that the applecare plan went from 3 years to 4 years.

The Case students I talked to about it said that the dell plan was better because it covered everything but from apple's site the apple plan covers a huge amount too.

oh and everyone I've talked to with a macbook pro absolutely loves it.

it's worth noting that the applecare plan went from 3 years to 4 years.

The Case students I talked to about it said that the dell plan was better because it covered everything but from apple's site the apple plan covers a huge amount too.

Oooooh! I had not noticed that!

Apple's plans generally don't cover dropping or water damage.:cry: You have to keep your baby pristine!:laugh:

(Seriously, though. My iPod had a dent in the case and that voided the warranty. All it needed was a simple reconnecting of the hard drive inside, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:laugh:)

After 7 years of Dell laptops, I bought a macbook pro last April. It is by far the best computer that I've ever had, and I swore that I'd never go back to PCs.

Having said that, I might go for one of the Dells just because they're cheaper and lighter. I don't need a computer that I'm going to be carrying around every day to be top of the line... but I might feel differently if I didn't already have a macbook pro at home.

Depends on what you want to do with it outside of academics. I'm still waiting on the graphics card info (although I think they're both the same), before I feel absolutely justified in spending more bank on that MacBook Pro.:laugh:

What kinds of things does the MacBook pro allow you to do outside of academics? I'm pretty big into photography--would a MBPro be substantially better for that?

What kinds of things does the MacBook pro allow you to do outside of academics? I'm pretty big into photography--would a MBPro be substantially better for that?

Hmm, if you're processing large RAWs and having a ton of fun in photoshop, the extra processor speed could help out a little, though probably not by a whole lot. They both have the same amount of ram though...

(I still want to know if that "backpack" entry is included.:laugh:)

from jessie:

"I would suggest that you borrow less of the loan amount you have been offered. If at any point during the year you need to borrow the funds you have until May to request them."

"The interest on the Case loan is 8%, which is treated as a subsidized loan. Note that there is no interest accruing while you are enrolled and during your residency program."

"If you anticipate that you will have funds at the end of the year, you don’t have to accept the full amount awarded. You can state the amount you wish to borrow in the space provided on the sheet you must return to our office."

thanks for posting this! :thumbup:

looks like alot of people are planning on getting the macs.

Note text at the bottom:

Q: Apple just announced that if I buy a laptop, I will get an iPod. Will we receive iPods with our laptops?
A: News coming soon!

Last Updated: May 4, 2009

Go us.:thumbup:

I found the entrance counseling stuff, btw. It's under the related links heading on the finaid page.:thumbup:

anyone know what the software packages are like? like do we get the office suite or do we have to buy...er...'obtain' that on our own

Q: What are the differences between the Dell and Apple concerning my work at school and studies?

A: There are a number of differences, which are mostly inconveniences all of which have workarounds.

* Many students using Dell laptops really love Microsoft OneNote for taking notes in class. OneNote is not available as part of Office for Mac. However, Mac students can boot into Windows or use VMWare Fusion to access Windows on their Mac and access OneNote that way.
* Some lectures in the large lecture hall are recorded and made available via the eCurriculum website. The video/audio/PowerPoint capture software is not completely compatible with Macs. The video and audio will play, but the PowerPoint slides will not be synchronized. However, Mac students can boot into Windows or use VMWare Fusion to access Windows on their Mac and access OneNote that way.
* All electronic exams must be run in using Windows. Mac students will have to boot into Windows to take exams.

I wonder if booting into windows and using onenote is as efficient as being on a dell. I would hate to have to use a workaround that was slow and choppy. Anyone know?

I wonder if booting into windows and using onenote is as efficient as being on a dell. I would hate to have to use a workaround that was slow and choppy. Anyone know?

Well, if your copy of onenote is Windows-based to begin with, you shouldn't have any issues, right?

I guess I'm just wondering if the performance of windows, when I boot into it on my mac is similar to the performance on a windows only machine. It *should* be the same, but I don't know if it is :)

I guess I'm just wondering if the performance of windows, when I boot into it on my mac is similar to the performance on a windows only machine. It *should* be the same, but I don't know if it is :)

It's an intel machine with 4GB or RAM and Windows Vista on it. Of course it's going to suck!:smuggrin:

Seriously, though, I think it should be fine.:thumbup:

It is the same. When you reboot your Mac into Windows, you're natively running Windows on an Intel platform. There's no emulation or anything that would make it slow. :thumbup:

For running basic software, like Office and OneNote, you will probably even be able to get away with running it via virtualization software like Parallels, VMWare or VirtualBox. These take advantage of virtualization technologies within the processor itself, and with the fast CPU and very fast memory that's included, you should be fine even running it virtualized. Now, I wouldn't suggest running something like Photoshop virtualized while running several other intense apps under OSX, but that's entirely different.

Hey everyone,

Class of 2012, here. Haven't checked these class pages in a while, but just stopping by to say hi. Felt like it was just yesterday when I was thinking about starting med school...time flies by. If you have any questions about computers, or anything else about school, I can try my best to answer them.

Regarding computers, it's not that big of a deal. Go by budget, really. If you have enough to afford a Mac go for it. If not, the Dells are good, and definitely have a better service plan.

I was a Widows user prior to starting med school, but I decided to get a MacBook Pro because I wanted to try something different. I do not regret my decision one bit. We use VMware Fusion if you need to run Windows, and everything works out just fine.

Once again, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll check these forums again on Wednesday.

Hey everyone,

Class of 2012, here. Haven't checked these class pages in a while, but just stopping by to say hi. Felt like it was just yesterday when I was thinking about starting med school...time flies by. If you have any questions about computers, or anything else about school, I can try my best to answer them.

Regarding computers, it's not that big of a deal. Go by budget, really. If you have enough to afford a Mac go for it. If not, the Dells are good, and definitely have a better service plan.

I was a Widows user prior to starting med school, but I decided to get a MacBook Pro because I wanted to try something different. I do not regret my decision one bit. We use VMware Fusion if you need to run Windows, and everything works out just fine.

Once again, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll check these forums again on Wednesday.

so the VMware is not gonna crap out on you while you're doing an online test or something? and the other thing is what kind of software is included? do you get office suite included?

so the VMware is not gonna crap out on you while you're doing an online test or something? and the other thing is what kind of software is included? do you get office suite included?

For tests, Mac users have to boot Windows using Bootcamp. As for software, you can download Office, Adobe Acrobat and most major software packages for free through Case.

For tests, Mac users have to boot Windows using Bootcamp. As for software, you can download Office, Adobe Acrobat and most major software packages for free through Case.

lol, sweet, so i dont have to 'obtain' them illegally...lol.

oh also, my friends have been saying we're kind of getting screwed with buying windows vista when windows 7 is supposed to release in august

any thoughts?

oh also, my friends have been saying we're kind of getting screwed with buying windows vista when windows 7 is supposed to release in august

any thoughts?

i wouldnt say we're getting screwed. i mean, windows seven looks amazing (ive never said this about any microsoft product, lol) but as a rule it never really makes sense to buy a microsoft operating system until at least service pack 1. let them work out the bugs. and there will be bugs. in either case, you could just change your operating system, everything should be backwards compatible. there are also virualization software for windows 7 uf you have a mac, so no worrries.

in regards to the software issue, this siw hat we get
"
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 will be installed on the Windows side and Microsoft Office 2008 will be installed on the Mac side. Those are the two major applications. There are some smaller utility type apps that will be installed, like Adobe Acrobat Pro, Case's VPN, Symantec AntiVirus (Windows side) and some others. Almost everything that you do in school will be either web-based or need one of the Office apps. You will have access to Case's Software Center which includes quite a few applications. Some are free to install, some require a keyserver application which monitors licenses and some you can buy at a discount. A couple of those applications include Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe PhotoShop.
David M. Pilasky
Director of Administrative Computing
"

i wouldnt say we're getting screwed. i mean, windows seven looks amazing (ive never said this about any microsoft product, lol) but as a rule it never really makes sense to buy a microsoft operating system until at least service pack 1. let them work out the bugs. and there will be bugs. in either case, you could just change your operating system, everything should be backwards compatible. there are also virualization software for windows 7 uf you have a mac, so no worrries.

Windows 7 will likely also be available for download from Case eventually (as in within a year, likely less).

in regards to the software issue, this siw hat we get
"
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 will be installed on the Windows side and Microsoft Office 2008 will be installed on the Mac side. Those are the two major applications. There are some smaller utility type apps that will be installed, like Adobe Acrobat Pro, Case's VPN, Symantec AntiVirus (Windows side) and some others. Almost everything that you do in school will be either web-based or need one of the Office apps. You will have access to Case's Software Center which includes quite a few applications. Some are free to install, some require a keyserver application which monitors licenses and some you can buy at a discount. A couple of those applications include Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe PhotoShop.
David M. Pilasky
Director of Administrative Computing
"

Discount for the Dell people: 8GB touch for $149.:thumbup: