CCOM vs UNECOM Dilemma!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrisE24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

So I've been accepted to both CCOM and UNECOM. I'm torn between the two mostly because UNECOM is close to home (I'm from MA), but not sure if that should be a deciding factor. I've wanted to go to CCOM for awhile, I love Chicago and have been in MA all my life...and it seems that there are a lot of national opportunities for placement, versus UNE seems a bit more regional. I'm sort of ready to branch out for a bit, but I don't know if it's wise to make my decision based on that...I mean, this isn't undergraduate!

I also read in Newsweek that UNECOM is ranked top schools with highest student debt...thoughts?

Basically, any input and/or advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, folks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well it just sounds like you really want to go to CCOM, but I could be wrong. That would honestly be my choice immediately.

The good news is, if these are your only options, lucky you--I don't think there is a bad decision!

I go to UNECOM and am happy with the school & education. It's also close to my home which is a must for me.

However, if location wasn't a factor CCOM would be hard to turn down. Its rotations and associated residencies are attractive. It's also very established.

That said, UNECOM is certainly stable and proven but is also enjoying exciting progress with new buildings and programs in a state with no competing MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE Tuition and fees: $39,520

CCOM Tuition (out-of-state): $42,517 $38,211 (in-state)

Based on this, attending CCOM will cause you to accrue near as much or more debt as attending UNECOM.

Just go where you'll be happiest. I've been accepted to UNECOM and plan to attend because I love the location, and the cost of living is reasonable. I have a good shot at my state MD school (which will cost me a third as much) but I will still attend UNECOM b/c that's where I think I'll be happiest --debt be damned.

Good Luck! Everything happens for a reason...

You gotta do it for EEL! She deserves a spot after everything! Btw.. have you heard anything back from your interview, EEL?

You gotta do it for EEL! She deserves a spot after everything! Btw.. have you heard anything back from your interview, EEL?

Awww thanks. :oops: I haven't heard anything back yet and I'm still waiting on a few schools. I haven't heard anything from CCOM, LECOM-Erie, NOVA, KCOM and UMDNJ, expect for the usual your application is being reviewed. Of course our situation is a bit different with both my husband and I applying so everyone might be surprised by how things turned out. I might be too.

Its rotations and associated residencies are attractive.

I'm not too sure about that. I am from chicago and I've heard nothing but bad things about CCOM from other dr's.

I think this is because chicago has like 7 other MD schools in a 15mile by 15 mile area. Also, CCOM has to compete with them...3 of them being UC Chicago, Rush and Northwestern

Those students seem to take all the 'good' spots, while the 'left overs' are left for CCOM

being the only DO school in an area dominated by allopathic medicine is quite brutal.

I'm not too sure about that. I am from chicago and I've heard nothing but bad things about CCOM from other dr's.

I think this is because chicago has like 7 other MD schools in a 15mile by 15 mile area. Also, CCOM has to compete with them...3 of them being UC Chicago, Rush and Northwestern

Those students seem to take all the 'good' spots, while the 'left overs' are left for CCOM

being the only DO school in an area dominated by allopathic medicine is quite brutal.

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I'm also from Chicago, and I've never heard anything like that from anybody. Here's a post from member Orangr85 from another thread:

"Rush is an affiliate of CCOM, so is Stroeger, St. James, Lutheran, and a few other hospitals. There are many medical schools in chicago, but there are also a wide variety of rotation sites and hospitals. CCOM students don't really have to "contend" with anyone for rotation spots - students from uic ,rush , loyola, u of c, and northwestern rotate at their own hospitals 99% of the time. And no, those schools arent more established than CCOM either. CCOM has been around since 1900 - Rush was opened a few years before, loyola a few after. I think it's pretty fair to say CCOM's clinical oppurtunities are more favorable than AZCOM's."

To the original poster: if you remember from your CCOM interview, they gave you a map of the established clinical rotation sites that students are guaranteed spots at. I believe there's something like 23 hospitals that are affiliated with CCOM. I've been on 6 interviews (including really great schools like OSUCOM and DMUCOM), and no other school could give me such a long list of affiliated hospital sites that are within a 25 mile radius of the school.

Also, somewhere on the Rush website, there's a note about clinical rotations. It says something like "We don't accept accept osteopathic students for clinical rotations with the exception of students enrolled at CCOM."

Bottom line, in multiple threads on this site, CCOM is recognized for its structured, organized clinical rotation program. A lot of people think that's CCOM's best attribute. Good luck picking a school! :luck:

PCOM has UPENN, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple in the same city, plus a couple more nearby in Jersey. And PCOM students hold their own anywhere in Philadelphia - including spots at Penn, Jefferson, Drexel, etc.

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I'm also from Chicago, and I've never heard anything like that from anybody.

I have a few friends that go to CCOM and they said that the CORES are very well structured at established hospitals such as St. James, however, trying to do electives at UC and NW hospital is near impossible. This is because all the rotations sites are booked up to 4-5 years in advance by other competing schools.

there is no DO stigma in Chicago, but CCOM students do get the short end of the stick compared to their allopathic counterparts.

For example, much of the class will have to rotate through Jackson Park Hospital, which is where Caribbean students through and they even complain about the lack of recognition with doing rotations there. Quantity of rotations available in Chicago doesn't necessarily correlate with quaLity

I am speaking from friends' experiences

PCOM has UPENN, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple in the same city, plus a couple more nearby in Jersey. And PCOM students hold their own anywhere in Philadelphia - including spots at Penn, Jefferson, Drexel, etc.

Philly is known as a very Pro DO state, which is awesome. I just wish other states were just as less ignorant

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few friends that go to CCOM and they said that the CORES are very well structured at established hospitals such as St. James, however, trying to do electives at UC and NW hospital is near impossible. This is because all the rotations sites are booked up to 4-5 years in advance by other competing schools.

there is no DO stigma in Chicago, but CCOM students do get the short end of the stick compared to their allopathic counterparts.

For example, much of the class will have to rotate through Jackson Park Hospital, which is where Caribbean students through and they even complain about the lack of recognition with doing rotations there. Quantity of rotations available in Chicago doesn't necessarily correlate with quaLity

I am speaking from friends' experiences

That's cool, thanks for the info. Hopefully in a couple years when I'm doing clinicals, it all works out :)

:laugh:

Come to Philly.

Why say stupid **** if you dont know its the truth?

:laugh:

Come to Philly.

Why say stupid **** if you dont know its the truth?

Why don't you come to Chicago?

Why say stupid **** if you don't know whats going on either? Yea, you may be a resident, but it doesn't mean you have seen the every bit of the real world.

Now now... behave. Let's all realize there are other DO schools in areas surrounded by MD schools and CCOM certainly isn't the only one in that situation. And neither is PCOM.

And let's also not forget that there are three truths: the truth of one side, the truth of the other, and somewhere in the middle lies the real truth. It's awfully hard to be any of those if you don't have first hand experience to back up your words.

Lastly, if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, keep your fingers silent (and yell at the computer screen all you want).

:)

Why don't you come to Chicago?

Why say stupid **** if you don't know whats going on either? Yea, you may be a resident, but it doesn't mean you have seen the every bit of the real world.

Easy chief.

You said that being surrounded by MD schools makes things difficult.

Im saying that perhaps you feel like that if you go to CCOM, but here in Philly PCOMers are among the best medical students in the city.

Maybe its a function of either A, your school or B, your attitude.

I vote B.

;)

I've got to say that I am pretty surprised at how little people seem to truly understand how important their own individual performance is.

Not that I've experienced med school, but I have experienced the real world, and working in a commission-based business, my own performance matters more than where I work or where I went to school.

This is also what I've heard from talking to many, many physicians. So do Harvard Med grads get good residency placement because they went to Harvard (or insert any big-name school here), or because of their individual qualities that got them into Harvard in the first place? It seems obvious to me.

I've got to say that I am pretty surprised at how little people seem to truly understand how important their own individual performance is.

Not that I've experienced med school, but I have experienced the real world, and working in a commission-based business, my own performance matters more than where I work or where I went to school.

This is also what I've heard from talking to many, many physicians. So do Harvard Med grads get good residency placement because they went to Harvard (or insert any big-name school here), or because of their individual qualities that got them into Harvard in the first place? It seems obvious to me.

It's not that simple. The name alone (such as Harvard) bring with it benefits, which will definitely open doors for you. I said this before, but a friend of mine is at the bottom of the class at Harvard (it's P/F, he failed a couple) and has USMLE thats pretty low and is getting interviews virtually everywhere in a pretty competitive specialty. It helps. Big time in certain cases. On the other end of the spectrum, with some schools, you have to get much higher than average to be noticed.

But you're right in that for majority of the schools and majority of the people, it matters more how they do than where they went.

To the OP, be glad you have such a choice to make!
Realize there is no WRONG answer to your decision.

No school is likely to be the sole determiner of your future residency placement. Choose the school that you feel is the best FIT for you.
Good luck!

To the OP, be glad you have such a choice to make!
Realize there is no WRONG answer to your decision.

No school is likely to be the sole determiner of your future residency placement. Choose the school that you feel is the best FIT for you.
Good luck!

Thank you all for your input (both bias and not so bias ::wink::). I DID, in fact, make a decision, and it looks like this New Englander will be heading to Downers Grove. Thank you again and good luck to everyone! Happy New Year!!!