MD cGPA 3.93 sGPA 4.0 Mcat 511, international student from Vietnam. Need schools list suggestion please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjericho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Masters,

I am an international student from Vietnam and currently a senior at a liberal art college in Oregon graduating this year. I have been in the states for almost 6 years.

Please help me pick out a list of schools that accept international students given my stats. I am planning to apply in next year cycle during my OPT year. Thanks you!

Major: Biology Minor: Chemistry
GPA: c3.93 s4.0
MCAT2015: PS129 CARS125 BB129 SS128 (I am seriously worried about cars and considering retake)

ECs:
-200+ hours voluntering in the ER of a local hospital
-3 months of summer research (40+h/week)
- Presenting two posters at two sciences conferences. I am also working toward a publication on antibiotic resistance
- 100+ hours ( 1 mouth ) volunteered at an oncology clinic in Vietnam (30h+/week).
- 15 hours of surgery shadowing during my trip home in Vietnam ( including an 8h long procedure, a very inspiring experience that I can't help to mention)
- 20+ hours of shadowing in the ER at a local hospital(US)
- Hobbies: soccer, guitar ( i built a Les Paul from scratch), running, sciences projects..

Dream school: Mt. Sinai

I appreciate all your help,

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my list so far! (order of increasing competition)

Howard University
Loma Linda University
George Washington University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Penn State University
Oakland University
University of Kentucky
Rosaline Franklin University
UC Davis
Saint Louis University
Dartmouth University
Boston University
University of Virginia
Case Western Reserve University
Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

Have you invested in the MSAR?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did refer to MSAR for my list. I just need some more advices to improve it.

Here is my list so far! (order of increasing competition)

Howard University
Loma Linda University
George Washington University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Penn State University
Oakland University
University of Kentucky
Rosaline Franklin University
UC Davis
Saint Louis University
Dartmouth University
Boston University
University of Virginia
Case Western Reserve University
Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

Read about Howard's mission. I doubt you fit it. Same with Loma LInda.

UC Davis did not take a single applicant outside of California last year.

Your MCAT score is at least 3 points below the median at Boston U, UVA, Case Western and Mt Sinai

A 511/32 as an international is tough sledding. If you are to have success this cycle, it will be with lower tier programs that take multiple international applicants a year(invest in MSAR to find these schools). Mt Sinai type schools are just fantasies. I would normally almost never recommend retaking a 32/511, but as an international if you can do better on a re-take it will really help your cause to have a 517+ score. I don't know even with your GPA if a 511 will be competitive enough as an international. Maybe its worth an app cycle to find out, but if you feel you can do better on a retake and invest significant time to studying for a re-take, I think it might be worthwhile to give it one more go with the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I did refer to MSAR for my list. I just need some more advices to improve it.
You need to eliminate the schools that do not accept internationals (UCD doesn't even take OOS!)
Identify the 62 schools that accept applications from internationals
Eliminate those that haven't matriculated at least 3 lately.
Eliminate the mission-based schools (unless you fit the mission).
Apply to any that remain where your MCAT is at or near the median.
Consider the following DO schools:

AZCOM
Ccom
Kcumb
Lecom
Lmu

Marian
Msucom
Pcom
Pcom ga
Nova
VCOM (x2)
Rowan
Touro
Unecom
Tcom
Western
Pikeville

Read about Howard's mission. I doubt you fit it. Same with Loma LInda.

UC Davis did not take a single applicant outside of California last year.

Your MCAT score is at least 3 points below the median at Boston U, UVA, Case Western and Mt Sinai

A 511/32 as an international is tough sledding. If you are to have success this cycle, it will be with lower tier programs that take multiple international applicants a year(invest in MSAR to find these schools). Mt Sinai type schools are just fantasies. I would normally almost never recommend retaking a 32/511, but as an international if you can do better on a re-take it will really help your cause to have a 517+ score. I don't know even with your GPA if a 511 will be competitive enough as an international. Maybe its worth an app cycle to find out, but if you feel you can do better on a retake and invest significant time to studying for a re-take, I think it might be worthwhile to give it one more go with the MCAT.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't consider retake, but now I am. What is your thought about working vs doing a master program in my gap year?

You need to eliminate the schools that do not accept internationals (UCD doesn't even take OOS!)
Identify the 62 schools that accept applications from internationals
Eliminate those that haven't matriculated at least 3 lately.
Eliminate the mission-based schools (unless you fit the mission).
Apply to any that remain where your MCAT is at or near the median.
Consider the following DO schools:

AZCOM
Ccom
Kcumb
Lecom
Lmu

Marian
Msucom
Pcom
Pcom ga
Nova
VCOM (x2)
Rowan
Touro
Unecom
Tcom
Western
Pikeville

Thank you Dr. Very good advice. I didn't consider DO school before. I heard about them a lot. Do you mind briefly explain the differences, especially in the requirements (stats + ECs)?

Here is some more schools that I have been targeting since yesterday. Please share your thoughts:

-Central Michigan
-Michigan State
-New York Upstate University
-New York Medical College
-Wayne State

Thanks again for taking your time!

DO average MCAT for matriculants I believe is a 27. You have a 32. For the schools that take internationals, you'll be competitive. Do a search function for DO programs and the difference between them and MD. And I don't mean spend 10 minutes searching. I mean more like spending 10-15 hours over the next few weeks. And even that there's a good chance it won't be enough and you'll have to spend more time. Then when you get a better idea of them come back with specific questions and it'll be alot more helpful for you and others.

DO average MCAT for matriculants I believe is a 27. You have a 32. For the schools that take internationals, you'll be competitive. Do a search function for DO programs and the difference between them and MD. And I don't mean spend 10 minutes searching. I mean more like spending 10-15 hours over the next few weeks. And even that there's a good chance it won't be enough and you'll have to spend more time. Then when you get a better idea of them come back with specific questions and it'll be alot more helpful for you and others.

Sure will do. Appreciate your helps guys!