Chair Leaving UCLA for UPMC - Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You may not and most don't either, which is what makes it a hidden gem. To each his own, but living within 1-2 hr driving distance of beach, mountains, big city life in a safe, family-friendly highly desirable for many people.


Problem is traffic. 1-2 hours can easily be 3-4hrs.
 
Prob $

It's like one of the heads of Cornell's OBGYN (Debra Taubel) who left to head OBGYN at Western Michigan (in Kalamazoo [essentially BFE for a lifelong Newyorker like her])
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For a lot of people who want to become a chair, moving is the only option. Timing, internal politics, etc. can make it difficult to move up into a position at the place you’ve built your career. It’s definitely more unusual to move once you’re chair, particularly for a position that I think most would agree is lateral, at best. Money? Maybe. California is expensive, but if you’ve been in California for years, chances are you’ve bought your home and gotten used to the cost of living. Could it be SO much more money that any reasonable person would jump ship? Sure, why not. Opportunity to build something/leave a legacy? That’s certainly a powerful motivator for the types of people who become chairs.
 
LA sucks. Sensible people leave. Maybe he's just a slow learner.

Or money.
This was funny. I agree...LA does suck. ...it totally sucks.

For what it is worth, I know several people who left San Diego looking for the cheaper life - but then later came back. It's hard to leave this weather...I mean...it is perfect. It is absolutely perfect...every day. Actually, it's a little cold. I would prefer 5 degrees on average warmer.

I would love to live in phoenix actually. I don't mind DRY heat... I just love walking around at night in the city with 80 deg weather. it's so fun.
 
That was posted a year ago. :whistle:
Just as true now as it was then though. 🙂


I would love to live in phoenix actually. I don't mind DRY heat... I just love walking around at night in the city with 80 deg weather. it's so fun.
I do like Phoenix ... most of the year. The problem is that during the summer when it's 110 or 115 during the day, it cools off aaaaaaall the way to 102 by 2 AM. Phoenix outside a building is intolerable to humans 2 or 3 months out of the year.
 
This was funny. I agree...LA does suck. ...it totally sucks.

As a SoCal native, I agree 100%.

Phoenix may as well be the surface of the sun June-Sept. and don’t forget the scorpions. You literally need to spray for scorpions on a regular basis.