Chance me for Duke-NUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bvan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a Vietnamese student with a US-bachelor degree. I'm really interested in going to Duke-NUS but am not sure of my competitiveness. If you can, please help chance me!
1.cGPA: 3.80, sGPA:3.69
2.MCAT: 516, C/P: 128, CARS: 130, B/C:129,S/P:129
3. Vietnamese citizen, no US green-card/citizenship
4. Asian
5. Messiah College, Nutrition Major w/ Biology and Chemistry double minor
6. Clinical Experiences:
-ER Medical Scribe x 1 year (U.S hospital)
-Hospital Volunteer x 1 year (at 2 Vietnamese tertiary hospitals)
-Research Intern x 6 mos for an oncologist (Vietnam)
7. Research Experiences:
-Undergraduate research x 1 year, Honors Senior Thesis, poster+presentation at school symposiums
-Independent research project with an oncologist on assessing the nutritional status of cancer patients x 6 mos
-Research Intern for a clinical research unit based in Hanoi on antibiotics overuse x 6 mos
8. Shadowing:
-Pediatrics, Family medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Cardiology, General Orthopedics Surgery
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
-Undergraduate volunteer for different food banks, soup kitchens; 2 service trips ( about 180 hours)
-Service Leader for 2 international service trips in Siem Reap, Cambodia (160 hrs)
-Volunteer for a center for kids with IDD based in Hanoi (180 hrs, projected)
10. Others:
-Nutrition Club Executive Member, Resident Assistant, Catering Student Leader, Organic Chem Lab Assistant, International/Multicultural Peer Advisor (Undergraduate)
-ESL teacher (Gap-year)
-German (A1)and Chinese learner (HSK-1) (Gap-year)
11. Honors/awards: Dean's List, College Honors, Recipient of a summer research grant at school, Participant of Primary Care Scholars Program (by Penn State College of medicine)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm a Vietnamese student with a US-bachelor degree. I'm really interested in going to Duke-NUS but am not sure of my competitiveness. If you can, please help chance me!
1.cGPA: 3.80, sGPA:3.69
2.MCAT: 516, C/P: 128, CARS: 130, B/C:129,S/P:129
3. Vietnamese citizen, no US green-card/citizenship
4. Asian
5. Messiah College, Nutrition Major w/ Biology and Chemistry double minor
6. Clinical Experiences:
-ER Medical Scribe x 1 year (U.S hospital)
-Hospital Volunteer x 1 year (at 2 Vietnamese tertiary hospitals)
-Research Intern x 6 mos for an oncologist (Vietnam)
7. Research Experiences:
-Undergraduate research x 1 year, Honors Senior Thesis, poster+presentation at school symposiums
-Independent research project with an oncologist on assessing the nutritional status of cancer patients x 6 mos
-Research Intern for a clinical research unit based in Hanoi on antibiotics overuse x 6 mos
8. Shadowing:
-Pediatrics, Family medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Cardiology, General Orthopedics Surgery
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
-Undergraduate volunteer for different food banks, soup kitchens; 2 service trips ( about 180 hours)
-Service Leader for 2 international service trips in Siem Reap, Cambodia (160 hrs)
-Volunteer for a center for kids with IDD based in Hanoi (180 hrs, projected)
10. Others:
-Nutrition Club Executive Member, Resident Assistant, Catering Student Leader, Organic Chem Lab Assistant, International/Multicultural Peer Advisor (Undergraduate)
-ESL teacher (Gap-year)
-German (A1)and Chinese learner (HSK-1) (Gap-year)
11. Honors/awards: Dean's List, College Honors, Recipient of a summer research grant at school, Participant of Primary Care Scholars Program (by Penn State College of medicine)

Hey! Solid credentials, OP. Applications have opened anyway, so just go ahead and try!

"You'll miss 100% of the shots you never take".

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Solid credentials, OP. Applications have opened anyway, so just go ahead and try!

"You'll miss 100% of the shots you never take".
Got it! Also, is Duke-NUS a research-heavy med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it! Also, is Duke-NUS a research-heavy med school?

Hi, I will only be starting Duke-NUS this coming July, so I can't really answer your question whether or not our school is a research-heavy med school. The only thing I know is that they set aside our 3rd year solely for research, so I guess we are different in a way that they want to develop clinician-scientists rather than solely a clinician! Looking at your research experience, I could see that you are interested in research, yes? If yes, you can perhaps consider applying to the Duke-NUS MD-PhD programme. Its a long path, about 7-8 years, and from what I know, you will spending the first 2 years in MD and the 3rd-3rd-6th working on your PhD thesis, and then finishing off in MD.

Do check out the Duke-NUS website if you want to know more!

All the best for your application! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I will only be starting Duke-NUS this coming July, so I can't really answer your question whether or not our school is a research-heavy med school. The only thing I know is that they set aside our 3rd year solely for research, so I guess we are different in a way that they want to develop clinician-scientists rather than solely a clinician! Looking at your research experience, I could see that you are interested in research, yes? If yes, you can perhaps consider applying to the Duke-NUS MD-PhD programme. Its a long path, about 7-8 years, and from what I know, you will spending the first 2 years in MD and the 3rd-3rd-6th working on your PhD thesis, and then finishing off in MD.

Do check out the Duke-NUS website if you want to know more!

All the best for your application! :D

Be careful about applying to MD/PhD programs unless you know you absolutely want to do it. Many people now do research/MSc/PhD in the middle of their residency because you are much more likely to be able to do relevant research towards your specialty once you actually decide which specialty you are interested in.

Hi! Does anyone here know the monthly stipend of PhD students in Duke NUS? Please kindly inform us. Also, if the PhD student is required to extend to fifth year, are tuition fee and stipend still covered by Duke NUS?

Hi! Does anyone here know the monthly stipend of PhD students in Duke NUS? Please kindly inform us. Also, if the PhD student is required to extend to fifth year, are tuition fee and stipend still covered by Duke NUS?
I recommend you e-mail the school to ask.

Hi all, I'm a Singaporean with a Australian- Biomedical Science bachelor degree. I'm really keen in applying to Duke-NUS but I am confused if I would even stand a chance?? If anyone could help lead me in the right direction, Much appreciated !

1. Bachelor of Biomedical Science w distinction GPA: 6.375/7 ( 1 yr course - due to credit exemptions)

2. Biomedical Science Diploma GPA from local polytechnic: 2.34 ( reason why I’m doubting my chances) ( 3 years)

3. MCAT is in July 2019

4. Work Experience:

- Medical Technologist (Histopathology dep) @ local hospital (1 year)
- Relief Teaching w MOE (3 years)
- Internship at biochemical laboratory (research) (1 year)

5. Research Experiences:

- Research x 1 year during poly - final year project and internship

6. Shadowing:
-Pediatrics, ENT medicine, General Medicine

What are my chances? I know my diploma would be a huge hindrance. Help a bro out

Hi all, I'm a Singaporean with a Australian- Biomedical Science bachelor degree. I'm really keen in applying to Duke-NUS but I am confused if I would even stand a chance?? If anyone could help lead me in the right direction, Much appreciated !

1. Bachelor of Biomedical Science w distinction GPA: 6.375/7 ( 1 yr course - due to credit exemptions)

2. Biomedical Science Diploma GPA from local polytechnic: 2.34 ( reason why I’m doubting my chances) ( 3 years)

3. MCAT is in July 2019

4. Work Experience:

- Medical Technologist (Histopathology dep) @ local hospital (1 year)
- Relief Teaching w MOE (3 years)
- Internship at biochemical laboratory (research) (1 year)

5. Research Experiences:

- Research x 1 year during poly - final year project and internship

6. Shadowing:
-Pediatrics, ENT medicine, General Medicine

What are my chances? I know my diploma would be a huge hindrance. Help a bro out

Despite the Duke-NUS says that they review the application holistically, I think your GPA is low enough to raise a flag. Unless you score above 516 on MCAT to demonstrate your competency, I think it's very unlikely that you would receive an interview invite from them. ECs and research are indeed important. However, admissions need to make sure that your academic capabilities are adequate enough to survive the huge word loads in med school. Good luck with MCAT and everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.