Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are on borderline. What schools are yoy applying to?
Mostly private schools: Midwestern, ATSU, Roseman, New England, Western, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly really need help with a school list
oGPA: 3.65
sGPA : 3.58
bcpGPA: 3.7
CA resident
DAT: 21 AA/ 21 PAT/ 21 TS/ 20 Bio/ 21 OC/ 21 GC/ 22 QR/ 19 RC (whoops i guess lol)
Shadowing: around 100 in genneral, ortho, pedo, perio, but getting more before submission rolls around
Service: ~350 hrs
Research: ~450 hrs in two different projects in bioinformatic modeling with matlab and all that gud math stuff
LOR: research prof, bio prof, chem prof, theology prof, volunteering supervisor, gen dentist. Should all be strong
Work: >1000 hrs as intern, tour guide, tutor, etc.
Professional goals: just taking it one step at a time for now, but have really enjoyed ortho shadowing
Misc.: I started as an engineering major then switched to a more individualized thing, so I'm a little insecure because I don't exactly have a normal mix of classes... Program is more broad across a lot of different studies more than in depth into biology or whatever. Not sure if that's a concern to adcoms.

Ok school list. Help.
Schools I'm planning on: UOP, UCLA, UCSF, USC, Western, Creighton, Michigan, Tufts, Penn
Schools I'm unsure on:
OHSU (but don't have biochem lab)
Columbia (it'd be a reach)
Colorado, BU, Temple, Case Western (don't know much about any of these programs or areas bc west coaster)
LLU... really nervous about the religious aspect/environment of it

Any I should add or drop? Any I didn't mention that might be good? Thanks everyone in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering if I should apply, or if I should wait and get more experience.

Overall GPA: 3.9, Science is 3.9, BCP is ~3.9

Undergrad attended is a middle-ranked private school, as in nationally ranked in the middle.

DAT:
AA: 26
PAT: 23
Bio: 30
Gen Chem: 23
O Chem: 29
QR: 23
Reading Comp: 24

Extracurriculars:
Work experience as a dental assistant between Senior year of Highschool and freshman year of University
Pre-dental society member (~110 hours)
Volunteering at wildlife conservation group since November of last year

Shadowing hours:
140 hours total from 4 general practitioners, one was my mother (40 hours, 40 hours, 20 hours from mother, 40 hours)

Letters of Rec:
one from biochemistry professor
one from microbiology professor
one from one of the general dentists that I shadowed for 40 hours
I waived my right to see them, but just say at least of okay quality.

I plan to submit on/around the first week of June, probably June 2 or 3.

My goal is to become a private practioner, I'm unsure about specialization or specifics.

State of Residence: California

I'm honestly worrying if I'm "holistic" enough. I don't know if I should apply now or wait a year and get more volunteer/job experience, and if I do, I don't know what I should look for or do.

Undergrad attended is a middle-ranked private school, as in nationally ranked in the middle.

DAT:

Extracurriculars:
Work experience as a dental assistant between Senior year of Highschool and freshman year of University

Shadowing hours:
140 hours total from 4 general practitioners, one was my mother (40 hours, 40 hours, 20 hours from mother, 40 hours)

Letters of Rec:

My goal is to become a private practioner, I'm unsure about specialization or specifics.

I'm honestly worrying if I'm "holistic" enough. I don't know if I should apply now or wait a year and get more volunteer/job experience, and if I do, I don't know what I should look for or do.
Your ECs are fine but you may need to look at retaking the DAT or a post bacc to boost that GPA

DAT:

Extracurriculars:

Shadowing hours:

Letters of Rec:

What is your current school list

Also, curious by what you mean about you being worried if you are holistic enough vs other applicants

Honestly really need help with a school list
oGPA: 3.65
sGPA : 3.58
bcpGPA: 3.7
CA resident
DAT: 21 AA/ 21 PAT/ 21 TS/ 20 Bio/ 21 OC/ 21 GC/ 22 QR/ 19 RC (whoops i guess lol)
Shadowing: around 100 in genneral, ortho, pedo, perio, but getting more before submission rolls around
Service: ~350 hrs
Research: ~450 hrs in two different projects in bioinformatic modeling with matlab and all that gud math stuff
LOR: research prof, bio prof, chem prof, theology prof, volunteering supervisor, gen dentist. Should all be strong
Work: >1000 hrs as intern, tour guide, tutor, etc.
Professional goals: just taking it one step at a time for now, but have really enjoyed ortho shadowing
Misc.: I started as an engineering major then switched to a more individualized thing, so I'm a little insecure because I don't exactly have a normal mix of classes... Program is more broad across a lot of different studies more than in depth into biology or whatever. Not sure if that's a concern to adcoms.

Ok school list. Help.
Schools I'm planning on: UOP, UCLA, UCSF, USC, Western, Creighton, Michigan, Tufts, Penn
Schools I'm unsure on:
OHSU (but don't have biochem lab)
Columbia (it'd be a reach)
Colorado, BU, Temple, Case Western (don't know much about any of these programs or areas bc west coaster)
LLU... really nervous about the religious aspect/environment of it

Any I should add or drop? Any I didn't mention that might be good? Thanks everyone in advance!

Add 3 more schoola that you are comfortable with. They should all be private schools for overage. Your stats are good, you should get in somewhere

What is your current school list

Also, curious by what you mean about you being worried if you are holistic enough vs other applicants

All of the schools in California except Western. I also am looking for safe schools, but am unsure what would be considered safe for me. As for being worried about "holistic" enough, I don't have a lot in the way of extracurriculars or leadership.

Do you mean if you have good stats they will still refuse someone older!
Which schools do that?

Overall GPA: 3.961
Science GPA: 3.950
BCP GPA: 4.00
DAT Scores: 23 PAT, 23 QR, 26 RC, 24 Bio, 22 GC, 24 OC, 23 TS, 24 AA
Extracurriculars:
  • President of Honors Student Organization (executive board member since sophomore year)
  • Secretary of Pre-Health Club
  • Student Government Association class senator
  • Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta health professions honor society
  • Part-time computer lab monitor job, on campus (~20 hrs/week)
  • ~250 hours of service via Honors program and various clubs
Shadowing Hours: 164 total hours
  • 87 hours with general dentist (office 1)
  • 64 hours with three general dentists (office 2)
  • 7 hours with oral surgeon
  • 6 hours with orthodontist
Letters of Rec:
  • Letter from Health Professions Committee, compiling four individual letters
  • Two letters from science professors, one of them is the chair of the Biology department (moderately strong)
  • One letter from a general dentist (moderately strong)
  • One letter from director of the Honors Program (strong)
When I plan to submit: As soon as possible. May take a few weeks after submission for committee letter and transcripts to be sent in.
Professional Goals: Likely general dentistry, but open to specialization.
State of Residence: New Jersey
Other Important Info:
  • No research experience
  • Really unsure of where to apply, aside from Rutgers since it's the only NJ school. Also thinking about Penn, Temple, and UMD, since they're fairly close. Would love to go somewhere in California or Washington, but it seems like they don't take many people from the east coast. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
All of the schools in California except Western. I also am looking for safe schools, but am unsure what would be considered safe for me. As for being worried about "holistic" enough, I don't have a lot in the way of extracurriculars or leadership.

Ok that might hurt your app A LITTLE BIT but your stats are so damn high you'll definitely get interviews. Apply 10-12 schools -- add ivies

Overall GPA: 3.961
Science GPA: 3.950
BCP GPA: 4.00
Undergrad: Rowan University
DAT Scores: 23 PAT, 23 QR, 26 RC, 24 Bio, 22 GC, 24 OC, 23 TS, 24 AA
Extracurriculars:
  • President of Honors Student Organization (executive board member since sophomore year)
  • Secretary of Pre-Health Club
  • Student Government Association class senator
  • Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta health professions honor society
  • Part-time computer lab monitor job, on campus (~20 hrs/week)
  • ~250 hours of service via Honors program and various clubs
Shadowing Hours: 164 total hours
  • 87 hours with general dentist (office 1)
  • 64 hours with three general dentists (office 2)
  • 7 hours with oral surgeon
  • 6 hours with orthodontist
Letters of Rec:
  • Letter from Health Professions Committee, compiling four individual letters
  • Two letters from science professors, one of them is the chair of the Biology department (moderately strong)
  • One letter from a general dentist (moderately strong)
  • One letter from director of the Honors Program (strong)
When I plan to submit: As soon as possible. May take a few weeks after submission for committee letter and transcripts to be sent in.
Professional Goals: Likely general dentistry, but open to specialization.
State of Residence: New Jersey
Other Important Info:
  • No research experience
  • Really unsure of where to apply, aside from Rutgers since it's the only NJ school. Also thinking about Penn, Temple, and UMD, since they're fairly close. Would love to go somewhere in California or Washington, but it seems like they don't take many people from the east coast. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Very strong appy.
Apply to uconn and maryland cuz youd get in state tuition yrs 2-4 and other oos schools that do this. Also apply to some private schools. Apply to 10-12 schools totsl

Do you mean if you have good stats they will still refuse someone older!
Which schools do that?

Not necessarily it goes on a case by case basis. But if you are much older (age 28 i.e.) and coming off a career change, some schools are skeptical about that for various reasons. It obviously can be overcome

Members don't see this ad :)
Very strong appy.
Apply to uconn and maryland cuz youd get in state tuition yrs 2-4 and other oos schools that do this. Also apply to some private schools. Apply to 10-12 schools totsl
Thanks for the suggestions!

schools im thinking about: UCLA, UCSF, USC, UoP, PENN, NYU, MICHIGAN, WASHINGTON, PITT, COLORADO, COLUMBIA (super reach i know) - wanted to apply to tufts and BU but they dont accept cc credit for prereqs.

** any recommendations on which ones i should take out to save money/which ones to add as safety**

overall gpa 3.73
science gpa 3.76
undergrad attended CC then transferred to USC
DAT score
-AA - 23
-TS -25
-PAT -24
-GC -26
-OC -24
-BIO -25
-QR -20
-RC -22
extracurricular
-alpha epsilon delta honors society
-high school tutor 3 years of college
-worked as a waitress at two restaurants all 4 years of college
-Organic chemistry tutor 2 years
-one year (still continuing) of oral surgeon assistant (1,500+ hrs) ( get to assist in procedures, sterilize instruments, set up trays, office work, and work with patients in recovery room)
-volunteering at my church (4 years) , community rotary club (2 years), hospital (<1 year).
-on student government at CC for two years as senator of natural sciences.
-worked with mothers choice for a summer (hong kong based orphanage center)
-interned at NASDAQ years ago (prob useless to add)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
-shadowed OMFS surgeon i work for before i started getting paid
-40hr dds
-30hr perio
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
-orgo professor (strong)
-physics professor (strong)
-OMFS (very strong) (on board for ucla ora surgery program, went to harvard medical school and ucla dental school -yes i know crazy)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application mid june (end of june latest)
state of residence CA
misc info you think is important:
-i am just starting a research position for the first time now but i am jumping into a project that is soon to be published but not until after submission time so ill have less than 50 hours of research when i apply....
-my CC credit includes all gen bio, gen chem, and physics, psych, all my math up to calc 2. (usc has ochem biochem anatomy mobio physio endocrinology etc)

(getting ready to get ripped on hard core)

Last edited:
You're CC credits could possibly hurt you with the Ivy's and so of the Cal schools but your DAT score speaks for itself. You know your sciences. I would recommend applying to about 10 schools and calling your top choices to see if your cc credits are going to hurt you. You have wonderful stats and excellent ec you'll be invited to lots of interviews

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really need help finalizing a school list. Thanks in advance!

Overall GPA: 3.69 (with +/-), 3.77 (w/o)
sGPA: 3.55 (w), 3.59 (w/o)
BCP: 3.51 (w), 3.55 (w/o)
DAT: 20AA, 19TS (17 bio, 19gchem, 22 ochem), 21 RC, 20 PAT, 19 QR
Extracurriculars: 62 hours volunteering as a writing tutor, Global Brigades Trip (20-25 hours), misc. community service: 35 hours
Letters of Rec: Pre-Health Committee Letter (4) - my orgo professor (also teaches gen chem), my physics professor (also teaches gen chem), the director of the school's writing center (also in the pre-health committee), and a general dentist whom I am close with. I believe all of them will be pretty strong.
Shadowing Hours: 141 between 5 practices (Mostly with general dentists. ~30 with an orthodontist, 7 with an oral surgeon).
Plan on submitting June 1st (committee letter takes 3-4 weeks after submission)
Professional Goals - As of right now general dentist with interest in endo/ortho
State of Residence: MO
Misc: I am a re-applicant who did not get in anywhere this cycle (waitlisted at NYU right now). Received interviews at: UMKC, LECOM, NYU
I'm looking for a dental assistant job right now and to volunteer/shadow on the side.

My School List right now:
UMKC
Michigan
NOVA
NYU
LECOM
Marquette
Midwestern IL
Missouri SoD
UCONN
OSU

Any recommendations on which schools to add/remove would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Overall gpa: 3.2
Science gpa: 2.95
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 2.9
Graduate gpa: 3.7ish to 3.8 (maybe) - Not factored into overall but will be looking at 3.0+ science gpa
Undergrad attended: Rutgers
DAT: 19AA, 21TS, 19RC, 18PAT, 16 QR, 20 BIO, 22 OC, 20 GC (3rd Time)
Extracurriculars: Biology research, Cab driver, Predent Society, Chi Alpha Epsilon (Honors frat) - Undergrad
Shadowing hours: 120 hours - general dentist, going to be shadowing another dentist
Letters of rec: 3-4,
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Mid June (June 14ish)
Professional goals: General dentist
State of residence: NJ
misc info you think is important: Reapplicant, had applied to around 13 schools and was only interviewed and waitlisted at NYU.

Really need help finalizing a school list. Thanks in advance!

Overall GPA: 3.69 (with +/-), 3.77 (w/o)
sGPA: 3.55 (w), 3.59 (w/o)
BCP: 3.51 (w), 3.55 (w/o)
DAT: 20AA, 19TS (17 bio, 19gchem, 22 ochem), 21 RC, 20 PAT, 19 QR
Extracurriculars: 62 hours volunteering as a writing tutor, Global Brigades Trip (20-25 hours), misc. community service: 35 hours
Letters of Rec: Pre-Health Committee Letter (4) - my orgo professor (also teaches gen chem), my physics professor (also teaches gen chem), the director of the school's writing center (also in the pre-health committee), and a general dentist whom I am close with. I believe all of them will be pretty strong.
Shadowing Hours: 141 between 5 practices (Mostly with general dentists. ~30 with an orthodontist, 7 with an oral surgeon).
Plan on submitting June 1st (committee letter takes 3-4 weeks after submission)
Professional Goals - As of right now general dentist with interest in endo/ortho
State of Residence: MO
Misc: I am a re-applicant who did not get in anywhere this cycle (waitlisted at NYU right now).
I'm looking for a dental assistant job right now and to volunteer/shadow on the side.

My School List right now:
UMKC
Michigan
NOVA
NYU
LECOM
Marquette
Midwestern IL
Missouri SoD
UCONN
OSU

Any recommendations on which schools to add/remove would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools): 21 (is this too old?)
overall gpa: 4.0 with a strong upward trend
science gpa: 4.0 with a medium strength upward trend
bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.0
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): an undisclosed school which I will say is a top 10 school (just to sound cool) but not say what it is.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28 AA (was aiming for a 30, may re-take) 27 Bio, 29 GC, 30 OC, 25 RC, 30 QR, 25 PAT
extracurriculars: I very much enjoy traveling. Over the last few years I've gone on a few trips to third world countries, where I would travel the streets, looking for people to help. I would bake bread and give it to starving kids, build houses for the homeless, and once donated all of the clothes I had on to people.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): at least 1000. Both of my parents and all 4 of my grandparents are dentists, so I've been able to get a lot of experience shadowing them. In addition, I've shadowed most dentists in
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): I am planning to get a letter from a dentist who was my research PI. That letter should be very strong. I will be getting a letter from my chemistry professor, who named me his student of the year and once asked if he could adopt me. I also have a letter from a well-known figure in the science community. I don't want to name drop, but let's just say his name rhymes with "Jill Rye". Hoping to get major points for that one.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I've used an old template to prepare my application in advance, so I should be able to transfer that data immediately using a computer program I coded myself (forgot to mention that I'm a world class computer whiz). That being said, I plan to submit on June 1st, no later than 12:02 am.
professional goals: OMFS, obviously...
state of residence: CA
misc info you think is important: I suppose I'd be happy getting into a state school, but I really want to get into an ivy league school. P/F curriculum pretty much guarantees that I'll get to be OMFS right? To be honest, I mostly just wanted to post this so that someone would tell me how I'm very likely to get accepted. I can't tell if I have low self esteem or am a narcissist, but either way I just like to hear people compliment me.

LMK what schools to apply to!

Reactions: 8 users
And how many interviews did u get and where?

3 - UMKC, LECOM, NYU (submitted my app for NYU in September and got a March interview). I only applied to 7 schools. Rejected without interview from Michigan, NOVA, Midwestern IL, and Midwestern AZ. I submitted my app end of July, but was waiting on a letter of rec which didnt come in until mid-August so that delayed my app a little. Was advised by Michigan and Midwest-IL to apply earlier, and NOVA told me the courses I took my senior year should offset my low bio score on the dat. I've brought up my GPA a little bit (applied with a 3.65, now a 3.69), and added some volunteering (27 as a writing tutor) and shadowing hours (~30 so far). Going to be adding some extracurriculars throughout this cycle.

Last edited:
Age - 22
Overall gpa - 3.43 (3.61 not including freshman year)
Science gpa - 3.28 (3.54 not including freshman year)
Bio-chem-physics gpa - 3.28 (3.44 not including freshman year)

Undergrad attended - UCLA – Biochemistry

DAT score AA- 23, TS - 21, PAT - 22, Bio - 20, GC - 22, OC - 23, QR - 25, RC - 24

Extracurriculars – Involved in 3 Christian organizations at UCLA, including held leadership roles in two of them. Have been volunteering in the Children’s ministry at my church for a little over a year. Been involved in a social fraternity for 3 years and was the Standard’s chair for the second year in my house and was an alcohol responsibility representative for my house the next year. Have played intramural sports nearly every quarter in sports such as Basketball, football, softball, soccer, futsol, and Spikeball. Have held a part time job as a student technician for UCLA in the audio-visual service department for 2 ½ years.

Research – Worked in an organic chemistry synthesis lab for a total of about 200 hours.

Shadowing hours – Shadowed at my dad’s dental office (letter will be from his associate) working as a dental assistant for about 250 hours.

Letters of rec – Strong from my PI in my research lab. Strong from the associate at the dental office I worked at. Medium from my biochem thermodynamic professor. Strong from my boss at my job I have had for the past 2+ years (also for Loma Linda I will have a different letter from someone at my church)

Plan on submitting AADSAS application – Early July (UCLA doesn’t graduate until June 16th, and then I am gone on vacation with friends the next week so my goal is the first week of July).

Professional goals – General dentist (take over my dad’s practice)
State of residence – CA

Misc info: My GPA was not strong freshman year, hence the listed GPA for “not including freshman year” which shows a strong upward trend in my grades. It wasn’t until sophomore year when I committed to dentistry that I then had a strong purpose to study and grades began to significantly improve. My dad went to UCLA dental school. Did a program at UCLA called Basic Dental Principles which was through the dental school where the first two quarters was a lecture series learning about different aspects of dentistry, and the third quarter was a lab where we did class I and V preps using both composite and amalgam fillings, as well as did a PFM prep. Have significant musical experience including piano lessons for 12 years from kindergarten through senior year of high school. As well as can play guitar, French horn and trumpet and have sang in multiple choirs.

Top Choices – UoP is probably my top choice as it’s a 3-year program and seems to focus less on didactics than say UCLA/UCSF and more on clinical work. Definitely worried about my GPA, but I think that my DAT score and the fact that I have a strong upward trend should help. Also, Biochemistry at UCLA is considered to be very difficult. Will definitely apply to all 6 California schools, but would also like advice for out of state schools that I should apply to. I know that I want to take over my dad’s practice to I don’t need to specialize and I have a guaranteed job after graduation, so if I think I will be happier at one school even if it’s “lower ranked” I would go with the better fit school.

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools): 21 (is this too old?)
overall gpa: 4.0 with a strong upward trend
science gpa: 4.0 with a medium strength upward trend
bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.0
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): an undisclosed school which I will say is a top 10 school (just to sound cool) but not say what it is.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28 AA (was aiming for a 30, may re-take) 27 Bio, 29 GC, 30 OC, 25 RC, 30 QR, 25 PAT
extracurriculars: I very much enjoy traveling. Over the last few years I've gone on a few trips to third world countries, where I would travel the streets, looking for people to help. I would bake bread and give it to starving kids, build houses for the homeless, and once donated all of the clothes I had on to people.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): at least 1000. Both of my parents and all 4 of my grandparents are dentists, so I've been able to get a lot of experience shadowing them. In addition, I've shadowed most dentists in
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): I am planning to get a letter from a dentist who was my research PI. That letter should be very strong. I will be getting a letter from my chemistry professor, who named me his student of the year and once asked if he could adopt me. I also have a letter from a well-known figure in the science community. I don't want to name drop, but let's just say his name rhymes with "Jill Rye". Hoping to get major points for that one.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I've used an old template to prepare my application in advance, so I should be able to transfer that data immediately using a computer program I coded myself (forgot to mention that I'm a world class computer whiz). That being said, I plan to submit on June 1st, no later than 12:02 am.
professional goals: OMFS, obviously...
state of residence: CA
misc info you think is important: I suppose I'd be happy getting into a state school, but I really want to get into an ivy league school. P/F curriculum pretty much guarantees that I'll get to be OMFS right? To be honest, I mostly just wanted to post this so that someone would tell me how I'm very likely to get accepted. I can't tell if I have low self esteem or am a narcissist, but either way I just like to hear people compliment me.

LMK what schools to apply to!
Might need to get your eyes checked, a 25 PAT is pretty pathetic

To be honest, I mostly just wanted to post this so that someone would tell me how I'm very likely to get accepted. I can't tell if I have low self esteem or am a narcissist, but either way I just like to hear people compliment me.
LOL this is the cherry on top of a great post.

Overall GPA: ~3.65
Science GPA: ~3.65
BCP GPA: ~3.6
Undegrad Attended: Washington University in St. Louis
DAT score: 24
PAT: 25
QR: 29
RC: 25
Bio: 22
Orgo: 24
TS: 22
AA: 24

ECs: ~150 hrs volunteering with A youth engagement program working with underserved children
Resident advisor: supervised a floor of 50 students as an RA
Predental Society president
Multiple leadership positions
Shadowing Hours: ~50. Shadowed 2 general dentists.
Research: researched in 2 labs approximately 300-400 hours total
Letters of Rec: I will have 4 by June 1st. One from a non science (anthro class got an A- but he really likes me), orgo lab professor I got an A and visited a lot in office hours, biochem I got a B+ and talked to a few times, research PI that I took for a class

Planned AADSAS submission date: June 1st, if all my LORs are in

State of residence: PA
Currently looking at UCSF, Harvard, UCLA, Colorado, BU, Columbia, Penn, Pitt, Temple, Case
Thanks!

overall gpa: 3.66 BS Physiology (includes advanced physio and biochem classes 2 semesters each)
science gpa: 3.57
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.55
undergrad attended: Grand Valley State (1 year)/ Michigan State (3 years)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Scored a 20TS, 18AA, 19 PAT with extenuating circumstances that didn't allow me to seriously study until two weeks before the exam, but I had to take it with my attempt about to expire. Currently studying for a retake (8-10 hrs/day) for the first week of July when I become eligible. Practice scores are all already much improved though. I won't send out my application until I take the new test, as I'm confident in my ability to score 20+AA with ample study time.
EC's:
- Traveled to Honduras 2x, Nicaragua 1x (as president) of MSU Med/Dent Global Brigades
- Leadershape Institute Nominee (1000+ nominated applicants, 50 accepted)
- Phi Kappa Freshman Honoree GVSU
- Shadowing across all specialties dental except OMFS: 130-150 hrs
- Shadowed for a full summer with an orthopedic surgeon (100+ hrs)
- Attended CE courses w/ my friend/mentor that I shadowed in GP
- Sit in at Medical Student/ Physician resolution meeting in West MI
- Intern at a leading fitness/nutrition facility in Michigan learning to coach individuals of all ranges of health and learning how to build a business
- Currently employed at above facility (Service Desk 2.5 yrs, 1600+ hours)
- MSU Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction (Tutoring org. participant)
- Church volunteer (once/week providing lunch to seniors for a couple months over one summer)
- Grand Valley Strength and Conditioning Club
- Ran my first marathon last fall, currently competing in powerlifting.
- Long history of working plumbing with my dad as a young teenager until last year
- Mediocre beer league hockey sub (semi-washed up competitive player lol)
- Avid hunter/fisher/outdoorsman

shadowing hours (who did you shadow):130-150 (can't remember off the top of my head) with pediatrics, endo, GP, and ortho (Most in GP/Ortho).
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Biochem Professor (strong), Dentist/mentor (very strong), Physics prof (strong), Employer (very strong) *** these are all assumptions off of interactions and meetings with these professors. They upload to Interfolio, so I can't read them
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: July 11th (I take my DAT on the 10th)
professional goals: GP. Open to specializing. I would prefer rural practice (for fishing, hunting, pond hockey, etc. lol) and I want to learn how to own and operate multiple practices as my career progresses (I shadowed a guy that did it very well. Super interesting)
state of residence: Michigan
misc info you think is important: The interview process will be my biggest strength. My personal statement and social skills will, I believe, give me as good of a chance as anyone as long as I can get an interview. My only concern currently is my DAT score, but I won't send in my application until I retake, and I think my current score isn't indicative of my abilities. A 20+ AA should be well within my reach, and after my retake, I'll have a better idea what is realistic for me. I'm from a rural farm town, and much of my family didn't go to college (although my mom does have a master's degree). Most of my family are plumbers/builders or worked in auto factories. Not sure if any of this is important

My dream school is Michigan, and I would prefer to stay in state for the tuition (my EFC will be nothing), but am willing to go out of state. I haven't started a list yet, but I was curious to some OOS schools that are friendly to OOS students. I'm not even applying until I get back my new scores, as I know anything is a long shot at the moment. If I can score in an solid range (20-21AA), what are my chances?

Last edited:
You should shoot for a higher DAT score 22 or higher. Having taken advanced sciences if you don't do well on the DAT good schools such as Michigan will question your institutions rigor. However with a good DAT score you'll definitely get some interviews.

Also depend on your DAT Columbia, penn, uconn, nova, vcu, nyu, Maryland are all oos friendly schools

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.66 BS Physiology (includes advanced physio and biochem classes 2 semesters each)
science gpa: 3.57
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.55
undergrad attended: Grand Valley State (1 year)/ Michigan State (3 years)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Scored a 20TS, 18AA, 19 PAT with extenuating circumstances that didn't allow me to seriously study until two weeks before the exam, but I had to take it with my attempt about to expire. Currently studying for a retake (8-10 hrs/day) for the first week of July when I become eligible. Practice scores are all already much improved though. I won't send out my application until I take the new test, as I'm confident in my ability to score 20+AA with ample study time.
EC's:
- Traveled to Honduras 2x, Nicaragua 1x (as president) of MSU Med/Dent Global Brigades
- Leadershape Institute Nominee (1000+ nominated applicants, 50 accepted)
- Phi Kappa Freshman Honoree GVSU
- Shadowing across all specialties dental except OMFS: 130-150 hrs
- Shadowed for a full summer with an orthopedic surgeon (100+ hrs)
- Attended CE courses w/ my friend/mentor that I shadowed in GP
- Sit in at Medical Student/ Physician resolution meeting in West MI
- Intern at a leading fitness/nutrition facility in Michigan learning to coach individuals of all ranges of health and learning how to build a business
- Currently employed at above facility (Service Desk 2.5 yrs, 1600+ hours)
- MSU Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction (Tutoring org. participant)
- Church volunteer (once/week providing lunch to seniors for a couple months over one summer)
- Grand Valley Strength and Conditioning Club
- Ran my first marathon last fall, currently competing in powerlifting.
- Long history of working plumbing with my dad as a young teenager until last year
- Mediocre beer league hockey sub (semi-washed up competitive player lol)
- Avid hunter/fisher/outdoorsman

shadowing hours (who did you shadow):130-150 (can't remember off the top of my head) with pediatrics, endo, GP, and ortho (Most in GP/Ortho).
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Biochem Professor (strong), Dentist/mentor (very strong), Physics prof (strong), Employer (very strong) *** these are all assumptions off of interactions and meetings with these professors. They upload to Interfolio, so I can't read them
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: July 11th (I take my DAT on the 10th)
professional goals: GP. Open to specializing. I would prefer rural practice (for fishing, hunting, pond hockey, etc. lol) and I want to learn how to own and operate multiple practices as my career progresses (I shadowed a guy that did it very well. Super interesting)
state of residence: Michigan
misc info you think is important: The interview process will be my biggest strength. My personal statement and social skills will, I believe, give me as good of a chance as anyone as long as I can get an interview. My only concern currently is my DAT score, but I won't send in my application until I retake, and I think my current score isn't indicative of my abilities. A 20+ AA should be well within my reach, and after my retake, I'll have a better idea what is realistic for me. I'm from a rural farm town, and much of my family didn't go to college (although my mom does have a master's degree). Most of my family are plumbers/builders or worked in auto factories. Not sure if any of this is important

My dream school is Michigan, and I would prefer to stay in state for the tuition (my EFC will be nothing), but am willing to go out of state. I haven't started a list yet, but I was curious to some OOS schools that are friendly to OOS students. I'm not even applying until I get back my new scores, as I know anything is a long shot at the moment. If I can score in an solid range (20-21AA), what are my chances?

Please pm me once you get your DaT score i will tell yiu your chances theb. Aim for 21+ dat AA

Overall GPA: ~3.65
Science GPA: ~3.65
BCP GPA: ~3.6
Undegrad Attended: Washington University in St. Louis
DAT score: 24
PAT: 25
QR: 29
RC: 25
Bio: 22
Orgo: 24
TS: 22
AA: 24

ECs: ~150 hrs volunteering with A youth engagement program working with underserved children
Resident advisor: supervised a floor of 50 students as an RA
Predental Society president
Multiple leadership positions
Shadowing Hours: ~50. Shadowed 2 general dentists.
Research: researched in 2 labs approximately 300-400 hours total
Letters of Rec: I will have 4 by June 1st. One from a non science (anthro class got an A- but he really likes me), orgo lab professor I got an A and visited a lot in office hours, biochem I got a B+ and talked to a few times, research PI that I took for a class

Planned AADSAS submission date: June 1st, if all my LORs are in

State of residence: PA
Currently looking at UCSF, Harvard, UCLA, Colorado, BU, Columbia, Penn, Pitt, Temple, Case
Thanks!

Very strong app, perfect list of schools to apply to. Good luck!

Age - 22
Overall gpa - 3.43 (3.61 not including freshman year)
Science gpa - 3.28 (3.54 not including freshman year)
Bio-chem-physics gpa - 3.28 (3.44 not including freshman year)

Undergrad attended - UCLA – Biochemistry

DAT score AA- 23, TS - 21, PAT - 22, Bio - 20, GC - 22, OC - 23, QR - 25, RC - 24

Extracurriculars – Involved in 3 Christian organizations at UCLA, including held leadership roles in two of them. Have been volunteering in the Children’s ministry at my church for a little over a year. Been involved in a social fraternity for 3 years and was the Standard’s chair for the second year in my house and was an alcohol responsibility representative for my house the next year. Have played intramural sports nearly every quarter in sports such as Basketball, football, softball, soccer, futsol, and Spikeball. Have held a part time job as a student technician for UCLA in the audio-visual service department for 2 ½ years.

Research – Worked in an organic chemistry synthesis lab for a total of about 200 hours.

Shadowing hours – Shadowed at my dad’s dental office (letter will be from his associate) working as a dental assistant for about 250 hours.

Letters of rec – Strong from my PI in my research lab. Strong from the associate at the dental office I worked at. Medium from my biochem thermodynamic professor. Strong from my boss at my job I have had for the past 2+ years (also for Loma Linda I will have a different letter from someone at my church)

Plan on submitting AADSAS application – Early July (UCLA doesn’t graduate until June 16th, and then I am gone on vacation with friends the next week so my goal is the first week of July).

Professional goals – General dentist (take over my dad’s practice)
State of residence – CA

Misc info: My GPA was not strong freshman year, hence the listed GPA for “not including freshman year” which shows a strong upward trend in my grades. It wasn’t until sophomore year when I committed to dentistry that I then had a strong purpose to study and grades began to significantly improve. My dad went to UCLA dental school. Did a program at UCLA called Basic Dental Principles which was through the dental school where the first two quarters was a lecture series learning about different aspects of dentistry, and the third quarter was a lab where we did class I and V preps using both composite and amalgam fillings, as well as did a PFM prep. Have significant musical experience including piano lessons for 12 years from kindergarten through senior year of high school. As well as can play guitar, French horn and trumpet and have sang in multiple choirs.

Top Choices – UoP is probably my top choice as it’s a 3-year program and seems to focus less on didactics than say UCLA/UCSF and more on clinical work. Definitely worried about my GPA, but I think that my DAT score and the fact that I have a strong upward trend should help. Also, Biochemistry at UCLA is considered to be very difficult. Will definitely apply to all 6 California schools, but would also like advice for out of state schools that I should apply to. I know that I want to take over my dad’s practice to I don’t need to specialize and I have a guaranteed job after graduation, so if I think I will be happier at one school even if it’s “lower ranked” I would go with the better fit school.

Apply to a bunch of private schools. I think you'll get more interviews than you think because you gave good DAT score, and although your GpA is kinda low you went to UCLA which is a great schopl

Hi I was wondering if you could just let me know where would be reasonable to apply to and where would be just a shoot in the dark.

AA 24 TS 24 PAT 20
GPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.6

lots of volunteer hours (community farm not dental related)
500+ research (mice gene knockout model lab)
100 dental hours (Naval clinic)
two good LOR (PI and general dentist) and one decent one (physics prof)
university wide service grant recipient

Hi I was wondering if you could just let me know where would be reasonable to apply to and where would be just a shoot in the dark.

AA 24 TS 24 PAT 20
GPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.6

lots of volunteer hours (community farm not dental related)
500+ research (mice gene knockout model lab)
100 dental hours (Naval clinic)
two good LOR (PI and general dentist) and one decent one (physics prof)
university wide service grant
Apply wherever you want. Great scores.

You should shoot for a higher DAT score 22 or higher. Having taken advanced sciences if you don't do well on the DAT good schools such as Michigan will question your institutions rigor. However with a good DAT score you'll definitely get some interviews.

Thanks for the advice and the list! Will definitely make not of those schools on my list.

overall gpa: 3.19
science gpa: N/A (tmdsas doesn't calculate this)
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.07
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Texas A&M
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA 20Bio 20GC 18OC 19RC 22PAT 22QR
extracirriculars: various clubs/1 research article publication/work a part-time job during school year
shadowing hours: 188 hours (general dentists, pediatric dentist, AEGD residents)
letters of rec: 2 science profs, 1 dentist, 1 health committee letter. All strong
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: already submitted TMDSAS 5/13
professional goals: most likely general dentistry
state of residence: TX
misc info you think is important: Only applying to Texas schools. Huge upward trend in GPA(1.85 freshman year/3.62 last 64 credit hours including 4.0 last semester in upper-level sciences like anatomy and genetics). Also, I'm a reapplicant who had one interview with a Texas school last year. I applied super late last cycle. My gpa last application was 3.04o/2.93bcpm.

Last edited:
overall gpa:3.67
science gpa: 3.51
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.51
undergrad attended: University of Maryland College Park
DAT score: Pat- 23 Qr- 22 Rc- 18 Bio- 23 G Chem- 21 O chem- 20 TS- 22 AA- 21
extracurriculars: social chair of Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity, Avid Golfer, Interested in stocks and current events
shadowing hours: shadowed a dentist who is the president of UMD Dental Alumni for 20 hours
letters of rec: 5 total, 2 from science (one slightly better than average, one average), 1 from non-science (knew the teacher really well-- really strong letter) 2 clinical letters (both extremely strong, one is from the president of the UMD dental school Alumni)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 3rd
professional goals: dentistry with a focus in ortho
state of residence: Maryland
misc info you think is important: Work for two orthodontics over the the course of a semester and two summers as an assistant lab technician. Have hands on experience working with patients for 200 hours.
Majored in Family science which looks at how legislation can affect families such as health care.
running for city councilman of district three in Prince Georges County, Maryland.
Have had a mock interview at UMD Dental where I personally met 2 professors, one who is on the admissions staff.
The school I really want to go to is UMD, open to any other suggestions.

You should really get a larger variety of shadowing. The dean at Chapel hill told me to shoot for 100 general dentistry and 100 between about 3 specialties.

Science gpa: 3.937
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.9355
Undergrad attended:
DAT score AA-24, TS-24, PAT-24, OC-29, GC-27, BIO-22 , RC-22, QR-22
Extracurricular: Research Assistant, College Ambassador, Pre-dental club, Tutoring at Literacy Council
shadowing hours: 400+ with an Orthodontist, 120 + with a Pediatric Dental, 40+ with a General dentist
letters of rec 6, 3 from previous science professors, 1 from the orthodontist, 1 from my research PI, 1 from a club advisor
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Jun 1st
professional goals: Orthodontist
state of residence:
misc info you think is important:

Last edited:
Don't be a dud in the interviews and you'll be accepted anywhere you want to be. Be careful in expressing your interest in orthodontics. If a school feels as though this is you're only interest it will hurt you because of how extremely competitive it is.

age = 26 ( not getting any younger for this to happen lol)
overall gpa = 3.5
science gpa = 3.42
bio-chem-physics gpa= 3.56
undergrad attended= I did all of my science classes at CSI. I enrolled in a community college for sign language interpreting AFTER I graduated with my b.s in biology.
DAT score = AA= 18
Bio= 19
Gchem= 19
orgo= 18
RC= 17
PAT= 16
QR=16

extracirriculars= National Society of Collegiate Scholars, volunteer work with the deaf community, done research with bats
shadowing hours= 100 hours shadowing an OMFS surgeon, worked in a general dentist office as an assistant for two years, volunteered in Nicaragua for a dental/medical/ public health brigade, worked as a patient care technician/phlebotomist at a hospital for two years.
letters of rec = undergrad biology professors? idk
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application= September so I can retake my DAT
professional goals= I want to be a dentist for the deaf community
state of residence= NY
I'm also currently enrolled in a GSBS dental scholars masters program. This is my first semester

Last edited:
Don't be a dud in the interviews and you'll be accepted anywhere you want to be. Be careful in expressing your interest in orthodontics. If a school feels as though this is you're only interest it will hurt you because of how extremely competitive it is.

Thank you!!!

3.28 overall
3.21 science and bcp
Nova Southeastern University
PAT 18 QR 22 Reading 25 Biology 24 Gen Chem 21 Organic Chem 22
Science 22 AA 23
extracurriculars: Researched at the Health Professions Division. It was public health research. Didn't get any work published.
Was President of the Pakistani Student Association for 3 years
Was on the Executive Board for the International Muslim Association at Nova
about 50 hours of shadowing a general dentist (Dr. Moosavi) in Weston, FL
2 letters from an anatomy and physics professor, both are strong. 1 weak one from a business class. and 1 medium/strong from the dentist I shadowed with
June
I'm not sure if I want to specialize yet. I am thinking of working as a general dentist and going back and specializing later but I'm not 100% sure.
FL
I recently took a Clinical Dentistry course at FAU. This course is something to put under the "professional" section of my app as it is a certification. In the course, we learned how to do Class I-V preps, fill cavities, extract teeth, make retainers, take impressions, use scanners, make crown preps and crowns, make veneer preps and veneers etc. The course ends with a certificate.

Apply to at least 15 schools. MW Arizona, creighton, case, nova, UF, Augusta, Tennessee, etc. Your DAT should get you a couple of interviews however be prepared to explain your low GPA.

overall: 3.81
science: 3.71
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.75
undergrad attended: University of Miami
DAT score: 22 AA, 23 TS, 22 PAT, 22 Bio, 22 GC, 25 OC, 17 RC, 24 QR
extracirriculars: Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for Freshmen, Biological Honor Society, Pre-dental club
shadowing hours: General dentist (112 hrs), dental pain specialist (120 hrs)
letters of rec: 6 letters - 3 from the bio, ochem, cell molec professors, 1 from dentist, 1 math professor, 1 foreign language professor. I got the committee letter that combines all of the above, written by the prehealth advisor.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 2
professional goals: General dentistry
state of residence: Maryland
misc info you think is important: English is my 2nd language, explaining the RC section. I have received Governor's Volunteer Service Award, will be publishing a paper on social behavior of orchid spiders, and I have worked as a peer tutor, organic chemistry workshop leader, and undergraduate learning intern.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether you think I have chances into Ivy schools. Thank you for your time.