Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can't really comment on your situation until you have a DAT score in hand

What I'm trying to assess is whether it is even worth me taking the DAT if my GPA is on the low end? Should I just go ahead with a masters/post-back or do you think that my GPA would be acceptable ASSUMING I did well (22+ AA) on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
responses come thursday after my last exam for the year!

What I'm trying to assess is whether it is even worth me taking the DAT if my GPA is on the low end? Should I just go ahead with a masters/post-back or do you think that my GPA would be acceptable ASSUMING I did well (22+ AA) on the DAT?
U have almost the exact same GPAs as me lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

overall gpa: 3.86

science gpa: 3.86

bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.85

undergrad attended: New York State Public University

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA. 26
TS: 26
PAT: 20

Biology: 28
General Chemistry: 23
Organic Chemistry: 30
Quantitative Reasoning: 24
Reading Comprehension: 23

extracurriculars:
- Biochemistry Research (1.5 years) - i"m a co-author of a research article that is in the works to be published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry; participated in a poster presentation, received a $4,000 stipend to conduct research this summer
- Pre-Dental Society's Secretary
- A upper division biology class TA - Genetics (1 semester)
- Emergency Response Team (not EMT-certified)
- "Historian" for a charity organization/club that raises money to increase educational and healthcare opportunities for underprivileged children in developing countries
- Dental Outreach trip to Dominican Republic in May 2015

shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
- General Dentist: ~ 80-100 hours
- Shadowing program at local dental school - shadowing residency students and dental students in different specialities ~60 hours
- Orthodontist ~ 6 hours
- Periodontist ~ 15 hours

letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
6 letters (honors college advisor, writing professor, research principal investigator, 2 science professors -- TA'd for one of the classes, general dentist, lady who overlooks local dental school shadowing)
-- I think most are weak except research PI and writing professor -- overall probably average letters)

when you plan on submitting AADSAS application
July (waiting on committee letter)

professional goals
I would like to eventually specialize -- the choice in area of specialization will probably change in dental school

state of residence
NY

misc info you think is important:
I'm a little worried that my interview will be weaker than others -- I hate interviewing lol. I don't think it'll be terrible, it'll be "fine." Not sure if stats can compensate for this. Also, I feel like I don't know as much about dentistry as I should -- like a lot of others know a lot more information about procedures, names, facts. But I do want to learn more. I may just be insecure right now lol

Top Schools -- Columbia (but I heard there clinical program is weak and a bit outdated? -- not my words, sorry tyjacobs and feralis lol), Stony Brook, UPenn -- might want to add Harvard for fun - but I'm not sure if they have a strong clinical program?

any other schools I should apply to besides NY schools?

Thank you so much for doing this!

do you think i may have a shot at getting accepted into a texas dental school even though tmdsas opened may 1st, and I probably won't finalize the application (committee letter) until end of june or beginning of july?

overall gpa: 3.48-3.5 (B.S. Neuroscience)
science gpa: 3.36-3.39
undergrad attended: University of Southern California (USC)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 21 TS, 20 PAT, 19 Bio, 20 GC, 23 OC, 21 RC, 17 QR
EC's:
>+120 UC Irvine and Healthy Smiles for Kids Research Project;
UCLA School of Dentistry;
USC's Pre-dental Honor Society
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): >+160 volunteering two dentists and shadowing UCLA dental students, professors, etc...
state of residence: CALIFORNIA

University at Buffalo (Biology Major B.A. & Sociology Minor)

17AA 17BIO 17GC 16OC 17PAT 19RC 16QR (I know I’m dead average on this but my parents forced me to take it earlier than I expected so I didn’t do as well as I should have. At least schools will accept my app early with the scores, retaking it in September, definitely getting at least a 20 with ample time to study).

Play intramural basketball, a part of a social fraternity, Philanthropy Chair (350+ hours), Academic Advisor for the fraternity (350+ hours), Research Assistant for a semester in a Psychology lab (got offered a job to work there full time this summer), Teaching Assistant in Cell Biology Lab and Forensic Anthropological Osteology (1 semester each) and I’ve worked for 3 semesters (about 15-20 hours a week, during my junior and senior year).

Currently in Nepal doing a dental internship for about 6 weeks (~180 hours). 60 hours shadowing in the US (will do more when I get back to the states) with two Endodontists, my family dentist, at a dental clinic and an oral oncology unit.

Four letters of recommendation à Committee letter

1. The dentist/oncologist I’ve primarily gotten my hours with

2. The director of the Cell Biology lab I TA’d for as well as my Biochemistry professor

3. My lab director for my research

4. Medical sociology professor (since I minored in it I figured schools would want me to shed some light on that)

Definitely all strong letters

Later this week I’ll be submitting, been quite busy in Nepal and I’m still researching which schools I want to apply to (hopefully y’all can help with that)

General Dentistry most likely and would love to be a part of some sort of Doctors without Borders sort of organization.

NY

Nothing too crazy this is just what I’ve always wanted to do and I love teeth. Also, I would love to invent something geared towards dentistry I’ve always had ideas for products and really want to be immersed in the field so I can see what aspects need something new.

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 21 TS, 20 PAT, 19 Bio, 20 GC, 23 OC, 21 RC, 17 QR
EC's:
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): >+160 volunteering two dentists and shadowing UCLA dental students, professors, etc...

University at Buffalo (Biology Major B.A. & Sociology Minor)

17AA 17BIO 17GC 16OC 17PAT 19RC 16QR (I know I’m dead average on this but my parents forced me to take it earlier than I expected so I didn’t do as well as I should have. At least schools will accept my app early with the scores, retaking it in September, definitely getting at least a 20 with ample time to study).

Play intramural basketball, a part of a social fraternity, Philanthropy Chair (350+ hours), Academic Advisor for the fraternity (350+ hours), Research Assistant for a semester in a Psychology lab (got offered a job to work there full time this summer), Teaching Assistant in Cell Biology Lab and Forensic Anthropological Osteology (1 semester each) and I’ve worked for 3 semesters (about 15-20 hours a week, during my junior and senior year).

Currently in Nepal doing a dental internship for about 6 weeks (~180 hours). 60 hours shadowing in the US (will do more when I get back to the states) with two Endodontists, my family dentist, at a dental clinic and an oral oncology unit.

Four letters of recommendation à Committee letter

1. The dentist/oncologist I’ve primarily gotten my hours with

2. The director of the Cell Biology lab I TA’d for as well as my Biochemistry professor

3. My lab director for my research

4. Medical sociology professor (since I minored in it I figured schools would want me to shed some light on that)

Definitely all strong letters

Later this week I’ll be submitting, been quite busy in Nepal and I’m still researching which schools I want to apply to (hopefully y’all can help with that)

General Dentistry most likely and would love to be a part of some sort of Doctors without Borders sort of organization.

NY

Nothing too crazy this is just what I’ve always wanted to do and I love teeth. Also, I would love to invent something geared towards dentistry I’ve always had ideas for products and really want to be immersed in the field so I can see what aspects need something new.

Chances are low with that DAT/science GPA combo. Retaking the DAT will help but if the scores are arriving in September chances are many schools will have already looked over your application, so it's going to be very tough going.

Yeah. The 3.5 SMP is a little weird too. It was 1 B and 1 A-. The B (no +/- in the actual med school classes we took) was in a class that was 11 credits out of 30 for the whole program.

What sort of questions can I expect around this topic?

I stepped away from medical school for family reasons. After those issues were resolved, I started looking at my career options and a family friend (who is a dentist) recommended that I shadow him in his practice. After shadowing him and learning about his business I realized that it combined several of my interests as an Economics/Biology double major with Finance minor.

That's the truth of the matter but will that sidestep doubt well enough or do I need to come up with more "reasons"?

That explanation should be fine, just be sure to emphasize that you're passionate about dentistry after shadowing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
EC's:

UCLA School of Dentistry - what did you do here, what's the extracurricular?

Science GPA is on the lower end but DAT is about average for acceptance so you want to apply broadly, not just the schools within California - I'd aim for a handful of the Cali schools + 10-12 OOS friendly options, preferably those that have lower GPA ranges for their students.

Hey Guys, Thanks for your input!
overall gpa: 3.77
science gpa: ~ 3.7
bio-chem-physics gpa ~3.6
Undergrad attended: University of Minnesota: Twin Cities
DAT score: AA: 24, TS: 25, OC: 26, GC: 26, Bio: 23, RC: 26, QR: 21 PAT: 23
Extracurriculars:
~100 Volunteering spread out between volunteering at the Children's Hospital, Local Cancer House, and The Continuing Dental Education department at the university
-Worked For 4 years as a server at two different restaurants to pay for college
- Working at an OMS clinic over the summer
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
~75 hours with 3 general dentists (Most of the hours came from one)
~25 hours of OMS at the office I'm working at
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
- 2 from Science professors (Very strong and moderate)
- 1 From Director of Continuing education department (Very Strong)
- 1 From the general dentist I shadowed (Strong)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: First week of July
professional goals: Thinking OMFS
state of residence: Minnesota
misc info you think is important:
Trying to figure out what kind of schools I should be applying (Ivy, private, etc), hoping for Minnesota since its my state school

UCLA School of Dentistry - what did you do here, what's the extracurricular?

Science GPA is on the lower end but DAT is about average for acceptance so you want to apply broadly, not just the schools within California - I'd aim for a handful of the Cali schools + 10-12 OOS friendly options, preferably those that have lower GPA ranges for their students.
The UCLA School of Dentistry was a volunteer program that you had to apply for and be accepted in order to shadow professors, dental students, residents, etc... Do you think I have a chance of being accepted into any dental school at all? I applied to NYU, Tufts, Tuoro, Howard, roseman, maryland, usc, western, boston, meharry, asoh, and like 2 more...

Chances are low with that DAT/science GPA combo. Retaking the DAT will help but if the scores are arriving in September chances are many schools will have already looked over your application, so it's going to be very tough going.
So there's a chance right now at some lower tier schools with the scores I have? If so which ones? Like I said before I had no time to really study for the DAT the first time around, so I can't imagine when given time and resources that I get below a 19.

Hi, I just finished my second year at a University of California and I'm graduating next year as I have only physics and a few upper division electives left. I'm planning on applying this week so god willing I will land a couple interviews and punch my ticket into at least 1 school! I studied for the DAT for about a month although I started reading the AP Bio book a little beforehand. Are some schools not going to want me because I'm young? (19)
- CA resident (middle eastern male)
- GPA: 3.55, upward trend; My very first fall quarter of college I got my only 2 C's and B-. All A's and B+ since!

- 21 AA, 20 TS, 18 PAT.........17 Bio, 23 G Chem, 21 OChem, 18RC, 24 QR. I'm so embarrassed about the bio score, the questions felt so weird and not similar to practice material. I don't want to make excuses but I thought the sections was just tough, unlike other sections which were actually much easier than practice. I know my scores are all across the board but I truly gave studying my all for the short time that I had and don't plan on retaking it although I'm not happy with some of the scores.

- 120 shadowing hours
- 100 ish community service hours, I honestly have no clue how many but I'll add them up! I have dental related community service as well like events where dentists do free work for people who can't afford proper oral health care!
- Part of dental club, treasurer of another non-science club for 1 year.
- Gardening, auto repair, basketball for hand-eye examples
- My O chem and Dentist letters should be amazing. For Gen Chem, the lady hardly remembered me because she is like 100 but I got an A and she is super nice and agreed to do my letter so i'm sure she only wrote good things. I also have a letter form a volunteer coordinator which should be very strong as I've known the guy for a long time and he told me he's going to "hook me up" lol.

Applying to: UCSF, UCLA, UOP, USC, Western, Arizona, MWU IL and AZ, NYU, Roseman, Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Touro, Tufts, BU, LECOM, NOVA, UNLV, CASE, Marquette???? Illinois??? Kentucky??? Louisville???

I already posted in the other "chance me" thread but people hardly respond there, so what the heck :shrug:

Overall GPA: 3.82 AADSAS verified
Science GPA: 3.8 AADSAS verified
Bio/Biochem/Chem/Physics GPA: 3.84 AADSAS verified
Undergrad Attended: Florida State University
DAT score: 22 AA / 24 TS / PAT 22 / BIO 28 / GC 21 / OC 23 / RC 21 / QR 18
Extracurriculars: ~100 hours volunteering, Pre-Dental Society general body member. Those were the only two I included on my application, my other extracurriculars are informal + irrelevant to dental school in my opinion.
Shadowing hours (who did you shadow): General dentist for ~200 hours + ~40 hours of voluntary assisting.
Letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 1. Biochem professor (hopefully strong), 2. A&P II professor (average to strong... foreign professor so it was sometimes hard to read him), 3. Genetics professor (very strong), 4. General Dentist (very strong).
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: e-submitted on 6/9/2017. Transcripts verified 6/15/2017. DAT taken on 6/25/2017, still waiting on AADSAS to receive my official scores.
Professional goals: HPSP for either the Air Force or Navy. I have considered specializing - but I feel it's way too soon for me to have concrete goals there. Also, depending on how I adjust to dental school, I have considered exposing myself to research (no research experience as an undergraduate, so I don't know if I would even be a serious candidate for research projects in the first place). Also considering a dual degree program (again, depending on how I adjust). It would be either research or the dual degree program, not both.
State of residence: Florida
Misc info you think is important: Applied to Tufts, Rutgers, UPenn, Michigan, UCSF, USC, Colorado, Maryland, Columbia, and NYU. Familial ties to Columbia and NYU, albeit non-dentistry related, so I don't think that will help me at all (but it would't hurt to have this family member put in a good word, would it?). I did not apply to any Florida schools because I want to get out of this state lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
overall gpa: 3.81
science gpa: 3.72
undergrad attended: University of Miami
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA | 23 TS | 22 PAT | 22 Bio | 22 GC | 25 OC | 17 RC | 24 QR
Extracurriculars:
Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Biological Honor Society, Predental club, sorority, o-chem workshop leader, bio lab TA, volunteering at a hospital, peer tutor, paper in progress
Professional goals: General Dentist
State of residence: Maryland
Letters of rec: 6 letters - 3 from the bio, ochem, cell molec professors, 1 from dentist, 1 stats professor, 1 foreign language professor. I got the committee letter that combines all of the above, written by the prehealth advisor after interview.
Misc info you think is important: I'm an international, English is second language (does that even matter) and Green Card is pending status

overall gpa: 3.15
science gpa: 2.9
undergrad attended: UC Davis
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA | 18 TS | 23 PAT | 19 Bio | 18 GC | 15 OC | 19 RC | 20 QR (2nd time retake)
Extracurriculars:
National Society of Leadership and Success, Predental club, Vietnamese Student Association member and Treasuerer, Vietnamese Cancer and Research & Education, 100+ volunteering at dental office & orthodontist office
Professional goals: General Dentist
State of residence: California
Letters of rec: 3 letters - 2 from the bio & gchem professors, 1 from dentist
Misc info you think is important: I am fluent in speaking Vietnamese, not an international, volunteered at Special Olympics hosted by UoP, went to UCSF Impressions Conference, attended ADEA Virtual Fairs Conference, part-time worker evening & graveyard shifts

Thank you!

Thanks for doing this!

overall gpa: 3.83
science gpa: 3.76
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.76 (all A's except for one C in Physics 2)
undergrad attended: East Carolina University
DAT score: 21 AA/ 22 PA/ 21 QR/ 23 RC/ 20 Bio/ 20 GenChem/ 19 Orgo/ 20 TS
extracirriculars: Honors College, Pre-Dental Honors Society, 80 hours of volunteer tutoring, 120 hours of food bank volunteering, year of research experience, worked all throughout college, NCMOM volunteer, ECU Research Week Committee Member
shadowing hours: 200 hours, mostly general and pedo with some ortho and surgery
letters of rec: 4 letters; good one from dentist, great one from vice chancellor of research that I work for, great one from genetics teacher, great one from Spanish teacher, good one from research professor, and a great committee letter
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 10
professional goals: After dental school go to a GPR and potentially join the military if I get the HPSP.
state of residence: North Carolina
misc info you think is important: Graduating a year early with a BS in Biochem. From a small town in NC.
Currently looking at ECU, UNC, VCU, and UMaryland

good app, you'll definitely get in somewhere. apply to the 4 schools you listed, 3 private schools (they will be safeties), upenn, and like 1-2 out of state schools that give you instate tuition after a year

oGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.00
Undergrad Attended: Miami University (OH) - Spanish Major
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 PAT, 22 QR, 22 RC, 22 Bio, 27 GC, 26 OC, 24 TS, 24 AA
EC's:
- Research
- Pre-dental Club
- 1000+ hours of service and leadership in the past seven years (continued the same service I've been doing since high school)
- Hospital volunteer (80 hours)
- Volunteered abroad on a health mission
- Autism Speaks community service
- Shadowed Spanish medical interpreters
- Studied abroad
- Tutor organic chem
- Supplemental instructor for organic chem
- Work with children with disabilities in a summer camp
Shadowing hours: 170 hours (110 with general, 60 with endo)
Letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Organic Chemistry Professor (Very Strong), General Chemistry Professor (Strong), Spanish Professor (Strong), and Endodontist (Strong)
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I submitted to six schools already, planning to apply to another four (see below)
Professional goals: I am very interested in specializing, but I would also be fine working as a GP :)
State of residence: Illinois
misc info you think is important: N/A
School List:
Applied to Michigan University, University of Illinois, University of Kansas-Missouri, Ohio State, Marquette University, Case Western University
Planning to apply to Southern Illinois, Virginia Commonwealth, and not sure where else
Main Concern: I want to go to a school where I don't come out with 300k+ in debt. I want to stay around 250k (not factoring in living expenses). I am particularly looking for schools with a good reputation that would give me the opportunity to potentially specialize that are on the cheaper side cost-wise.
Any suggestions on additional schools? Thanks!

Last edited:
oGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.00
Undergrad Attended: Miami University (OH)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 PAT, 22 QR, 22 RC, 22 Bio, 27 GC, 26 OC, 24 TS, 24 AA
EC's:
- Research
- Pre-dental Club
- 1000+ hours of service and leadership in the past seven years (continued the same service I've been doing since high school)
- Hospital volunteer (80 hours)
- Volunteered abroad on a health mission
- Autism Speaks community service
- Shadowed Spanish medical interpreters
- Studied abroad
- Tutor organic chem
- Supplemental instructor for organic chem
- Work with children with disabilities in a summer camp
Shadowing hours: 170 hours (110 with general, 60 with endo)
Letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Organic Chemistry Professor (Very Strong), General Chemistry Professor (Strong), Spanish Professor (Strong), and Endodontist (Strong)
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I submitted to six schools already, planning to apply to another four (see below)
Professional goals: I am very interested in specializing, but I would also be fine working as a GP :)
State of residence: Illinois
misc info you think is important: N/A
School List:
Applied to Michigan University, University of Illinois, University of Kansas-Missouri, Ohio State, Marquette University, Case Western University
Planning to apply to Southern Illinois, Virginia Commonwealth, and not sure where else
Main Concern: I want to go to a school where I don't come out with 300k+ in debt. I want to stay around 250k (not factoring in living expenses). I am particularly looking for schools with a good reputation that would give me the opportunity to potentially specialize that are on the cheaper side cost-wise.
Any suggestions on additional schools? Thanks!
You must have worked really hard for your work! I think you already know you have a decent chance :)

You must have worked really hard for your work! I think you already know you have a decent chance :)
Thank you! I did work very hard, especially on my GPA jaja. But I am more looking for school advice, not so much wondering if I'll get in anywhere.

Thank you! I did work very hard, especially on my GPA jaja. But I am more looking for school advice, not so much wondering if I'll get in anywhere.
If you're looking at specialties, you should give it a try at Ivy schools but since it's gonna cost a lot, it's a balance between the two haha.
Most people say the smartest decision is to go to the cheapest school and develop great skills.

overall gpa: 3.73
science gpa: 3.74
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.72
undergrad attended: CC (did the bio, chem, ochem prereqs here), University of California (took physics, micro, physio, genetics and will take anatomy here)
DAT score: 21 AA, 22 TS, 22 PA, 22QR, 18 RC (a bit low but I think I explained well in the app). Took this before transferring to four-year university.
extracurriculars: Treasurer/IVP of pre-dental society (2 years total after graduation), intramural volleyball/basketball (16+ hours), high school outreach facilitator (21+ hours), gardening (24+ hours), simulation clinical course (1 day), free health clinics (35+ hours); i have others but these are my current ones or ones I'll do throughout the year
shadowing hours: 104+ hours from family dentist, 3 hours from UNLV
letters of rec: 1 dentist (fairly strong), 1 cc ochem professor (decent), 1 uc physio professor (not sure..)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Done
state of residence: California
misc info you think is important: Pharmaceutical Sciences major. 3.9 GPA in community college, 3.38 GPA in UC. Other than my first quarter transferring to a four-year university and one academically poor quarter consisting of a C and a W- which I explained in my app due to personal reasons- my grades at UC were all A's and B's.
Schools applied to: UCSF, UCLA, USC, UoPacific, Western, Midwestern AZ, Roseman, Marquette

Also I feel I need to get in this cycle so if I should add more schools please let me know! Thanks so much

Overall gpa: 3.922
Science gpa: 3.7/75
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.0
Undergrad attended: University of Delaware, Biology and Liberal Arts: Medical/Dental Scholars (conditional acceptance int Jefferson Medical School in Philly)
DAT score:
AA/TS/ Orgo/PAT/QR- all were 22
Chem-26
Bio/RC-20
Community Service: I have tons of community service including volunteering at local hospitals (over 200 hours) . Also my clubs/fraternities I am in too. I went on two alternative break service trips - Bright Beginnings in DC and National Relief Network in Leesburg, FL. (together a total of 70 horus
Extracurricular:
-Phi Delta Episilon-Pre Med Fraternity -> includes Loris Hands and Habitat for Humanity service hours
Alpha Phi Omega- Service Fraternity (requires 20 horus of service a semester)
Biology Ambassador at my school
I was a part of Student Homecoming Committee
I was a part of Making Doctors Club
I joined the pre dental society my senior year. I went to a free trip to Israel as a non-jewish student leader discussing the Palestinian /Israeli conflict with the club The David Project.
There is more, I am too lazy to list. I also tutored but I dont think I should put that on.
Shadowing hours: ~150 hrs 2 general dentists
I also had this dope internship at Morristown Medical Center with the Surgery department and I saw oral surgeries on top of many other surgeries (around 250 hours of shadowing all types of doctors though). Also, I did Gateway to Dentistry with Rutgers.
Assisting hours: None
Letters of rec: committee letter that gave me highest recommendation of my school which is 3 pages long.
this includes 4 science professors (ecology, bio 1, orgo 1&2, and microbiology/cancer biology), 2 non science (Spanish and finance) and one dentist and one volunteer from hospital (200 hours) and one MEDLIFE 40 hours abroad, and one letter from a woman i babysat her children (one with ADHD) and one from the hospital internship that I mentioned above.
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: mid July
Professional goals: General dentistry (Probably NJ but who knows)
State of residence: NJ
Misc info you think is important:
I was a premed student conditionally accepted into Jefferson Medical School but I realized dental school is more for me. I am currently going to take a gap year and I graduated my class as Magna Cum Laude. I have tons of hospital volunteer hours (over 200) I did MEDLIFE in Peru. I shadowed 2 dentists and received 100+ hours as I took a semester off because I was ahead on credit. I also had this dope internship at Morristown Medical Center with the Surgery department and I saw oral surgeries on top of many other surgeries (around 250 hours of shadowing all types of doctors though). I am from NJ so rutgers is most likely my top choice. I did their program called Gateway to Dentistry this past winter which solidified dentistry for me.

I am thinking to apply to only 5 schools. Is that logical? Any advice would help. I am considering Upenn. I would like to look at UNC but I heard it is pointless because they mostly choose instate.

Last edited:
Undergrad attended: University of Delaware, Biology and Liberal Arts: Medical/Dental Scholars (conditional acceptance int Jefferson Medical School in Philly)
DAT score: AA/ TS/ Orgo/ PAT/QR -22 Chem-26 Bio/RC-20
Community Service: I have tons of community service including volunteering at local hospitals (over 200 hours) . Also my clubs/fraternities I am in too.
Extracurricular:
-Phi Delta Episilon-Pre Med Fraternity -> includes Loris Hands and Habitat for Humanity service hours
I joined the pre dental society my senior year. I went to a free trip to Israel as a non-jewish student leader discussing the Palestinian /Israeli conflict with the club The David Project.
There is more, I am too lazy to list. I also tutored but I dont think I should put that on.
I also had this dope internship at Morristown Medical Center with the Surgery department and I saw oral surgeries on top of many other surgeries (around 250 hours of shadowing all types of doctors though). Also, I did Gateway to Dentistry with Rutgers.
Letters of rec: committee letter that gave me highest recommendation of my school which is 3 pages long.
this includes 4 science professors (ecology, bio 1, orgo 1&2, and microbiology/cancer biology), 2 non science (Spanish and finance) and one dentist and one volunteer from hospital (200 hours) and one MEDLIFE 40 hours abroad, and one letter from a woman i babysat her children (one with ADHD) and one from the hospital internship that I mentioned above.
I was a premed student conditionally accepted into Jefferson Medical School but I realized dental school is more for me. I am currently going to take a gap year and I graduated my class as Magna Cum Laude. I have tons of hospital volunteer hours (over 200) I did MEDLIFE in Peru. I shadowed 2 dentists and received 100+ hours as I took a semester off because I was ahead on credit. I also had this dope internship at Morristown Medical Center with the Surgery department and I saw oral surgeries on top of many other surgeries (around 250 hours of shadowing all types of doctors though). I am from NJ so rutgers is most likely my top choice. I did their program called Gateway to Dentistry this past winter which solidified dentistry for me.

I am thinking to apply to only 5 schools. Is that logical? Any advice would help. I am considering Upenn. I would like to look at UNC but I heard it is pointless because they mostly choose instate.
What is your AA & TS?

Overall gpa: 3.4
Science gpa: 3.2
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.2
Undergrad attended: UCSB
DAT score: 24 AA/ 25 TS/ 26 BIO/ 23 GCHEM/ 29 Orgo/ 21 PAT/ 21 RC/ 22 QR
Community Service: Volunteered at retirement home for a year. Went on a service trip for a week.
Extracurricular:
Tutor/Mentor for pre dental club
Research for 1.5 years
Taught elementary school kids about oral hygiene
Shadowing hours: ~100 hrs 2 general dentists
Letters of rec: Worried about this.
2 from general dentists
1 from research professor who is head of department
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: late July
Professional goals: Specialist
State of residence: CA
Lived abroad for half my life
Have a bunch of Ws for 1 quarter because of medical incident (bike crash caused bad head injury)
Applying to all CA schools
ASDOH, IOWA, BU, UNLV, MWU, Columbia, NYU, Texas state schools (dad lives there idk if that helps)

Overall gpa: 3.4
Science gpa: 3.2
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.2
Undergrad attended: UCSB
DAT score: 24 AA/ 25 TS/ 26 BIO/ 23 GCHEM/ 29 Orgo/ 21 PAT/ 21 RC/ 22 QR
Community Service: Volunteered at retirement home for a year. Went on a service trip for a week.
Extracurricular:
Tutor/Mentor for pre dental club
Research for 1.5 years
Taught elementary school kids about oral hygiene
Shadowing hours: ~100 hrs 2 general dentists
Letters of rec: Worried about this.
2 from general dentists
1 from research professor who is head of department
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: late July
Professional goals: Specialist
State of residence: CA
Lived abroad for half my life
Have a bunch of Ws for 1 quarter because of medical incident (bike crash caused bad head injury)
Applying to all CA schools
ASDOH, IOWA, BU, UNLV, MWU, Columbia, NYU, Texas state schools (dad lives there idk if that helps)
Awesome Dat score! What resources did you use especially for orgo?

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome Dat score! What resources did you use especially for orgo?

Followed DAT Bootcamp pretty closely. For Ochem I kept a list of problems I got wrong in DAT destroyer and made sure to go over them regularly. I worked hard to really understand the concepts and get good at electron pushing and it showed.

Overall gpa: 3.3
science gpa: 3.3
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.4 (have not taken physics yet, but am scheduled and will have both done before potential 2018 start date)
undergrad attended: Colorado College
DAT score: 25 AA, 26 TS, 28 ORGO, 25 GC, 26 BIO, 22 RC, 23 QR, PAT 21
Community Service: 200+ hours, mostly through college soup kitchen
Shadowing hours (who did you shadow): ~80 hours; 20 with GP in Spain, 50 with other GP, 5 with endo, 5 with ortho
Letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3: 1 strong from endodontist/former adjunct professor at school I'm applying to, 2 from science professors--both moderate
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: July 15th
Professional goals: open to anything
State of residence: Colorado
Misc info you think is important: I worked as a medical scribe for 1.5 years after undergrad--worked directly under an internist, pediatrician, and family practice provider at several different hospitals, was in charge of all patient charting, med lists, etc... (not specifically dental-related, but still a lot of parallels and I thought an interesting/unique way to experience patient-provider/office rapport
Thanks for doing this!!!

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.5
science gpa: 3.45
bio-chem-physics: 3.45
undergrad attended: Canadian Undergraduate
DAT score: 20 AA (19 Bio, 21 chem, 21 pat, 21 rc)
extracurriculars: vice prez of science faculty students association, president of predentistry club, president of scientific publication, coordinator for microbiology club, representative for biology students faculty, peer leader for biomedical studies, TA for bio courses, worked in lab, worked in mental health clinic, volunteers with mental health associations
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 200 hours, general dentist. also completed 600 research hours in chemical research.
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 1 strong dentist, 1 strong prof, 1 strong employer (health-field)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: june 1st
professional goals: general dentistry, oral research
state of residence: Canadian citizen
misc info you think is important: minority, female. HUGE upward trend.

ogpa: 3.53
sgpa: 3.39
bcpgpa: ~3.39
DAT: 20 AA, 20 TS, 23 PAT, 20 QR,19 RC, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 20 OC
extracurriculars: dental assistant for ~600 hours for 2 general dentist offices (one with 2 dentists, other with 5), just started research at ucsf for ~80 hours and hoping to be published, will be officer for a club this upcoming year, predent society, tribeta, volunteer ~ 150 hours through multiple organizations (FRN, YWCA, Discovery Day)
shadowing: ~100 hours from one of the 2 offices
letters of rec: committee letter with 2 strong prof and 1 strong dentist
professional goals: general dentist, maybe orth
Plan on submit: mid july
residence: CA
misc: started freshman year with 2.7, but got 3.7-3.9 gpa since sophomore year. Hoping to stay in cali (pref uop or ucsf)

Last edited:
Followed DAT Bootcamp pretty closely. For Ochem I kept a list of problems I got wrong in DAT destroyer and made sure to go over them regularly. I worked hard to really understand the concepts and get good at electron pushing and it showed.
Good luck this cycle

overall gpa: 3.85
science gpa: 3.84
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.86
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20, PAT 22, BIO 19, GC 21, OC 21, QR 18, RC 20, TS 20
extracurricular: Intern at General Dentist Office, Volunteer Chemistry tutor for 7 semesters through Uni's Tutoring Center, Volunteer at free dental clinics providing free dental care to underserved populations, volunteer at local soup kitchen/ homeless shelter
shadowing hours: 200 + hours general dentist, 14 hours pediatric dentist
letters of rec: Committee Letter (I assume strong), Two from upper level Biology courses, One from Computer Science professor, One strong from General Dentist practicing in my state
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted 6/18/2017
professional goals: Potentially HPSP
state of residence: NC

DAT score:
AA/TS/ Orgo/PAT/QR- all were 22
Chem-26
Bio/RC-20
Community Service: I have tons of community service including volunteering at local hospitals (over 200 hours) . Also my clubs/fraternities I am in too. I went on two alternative break service trips - Bright Beginnings in DC and National Relief Network in Leesburg, FL. (together a total of 70 horus
Extracurricular:

My resume is about 1/100 the size of yours so I think your chances at Rutgers is pretty good, since I got in there. I would apply to 8 schools and be comfortable with that. So Rutgers Upenn UNC + 5 other schools.

New DAT, please take another look for me. Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.7
BCP GPA: 3.6
Undergrad: U Iowa
DAT: AUG 2016: 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
JUL 2017: 20AA, 20 TS, 22PA, 16 QR, 21 RC, 22 BIO, 19 GC, 20 OC
Extracuriculars: About 150 service hours (non-dental). Worked at the Dental School as a sterilization tech, other random jobs. Philanthropy Chair at campus service fraternity.
Shadowing hours: 75 at multiple general dentists, one orthodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 Spanish professor. Put in the time to get to know them so I hope they are strong.
Submited AADSAS: ~Jun 20
Professional Goals: general dentist
State of Residence: Illinois
Misc Info: My retake is a bit better overall, and a lot better in PA, BIO and OC. So I am quite excited to add a few schools to my list. I don't want to live anywhere in the West.
Applied to SIU, UIC, Marquette, Creighton, Case Western, Pitt, BU, Tufts, New England. Any suggestions? I don't know if I have a chance at Ohio, UConn or UNC.

New DAT, please take another look for me. Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.7
BCP GPA: 3.6
Undergrad: U Iowa
DAT: AUG 2016: 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
JUL 2017: 20AA, 20 TS, 22PA, 16 QR, 21 RC, 22 BIO, 19 GC, 20 OC
Extracuriculars: About 150 service hours (non-dental). Worked at the Dental School as a sterilization tech, other random jobs. Philanthropy Chair at campus service fraternity.
Shadowing hours: 75 at multiple general dentists, one orthodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 Spanish professor. Put in the time to get to know them so I hope they are strong.
Submited AADSAS: ~Jun 20
Professional Goals: general dentist
State of Residence: Illinois
Misc Info: My retake is a bit better overall, and a lot better in PA, BIO and OC. So I am quite excited to add a few schools to my list. I don't want to live anywhere in the West.
Applied to SIU, UIC, Marquette, Creighton, Case Western, Pitt, BU, Tufts, New England. Any suggestions? I don't know if I have a chance at Ohio, UConn or UNC.
Why didn't you apply to Iowa? You're in line with their averages.

Tired of living there.
You should still apply IMO. You will have an easier chance getting in there and you'll have really low tuition. It's nice to know you have a very cheap "safety" (kind of ) school. I think it's worth the extra $175 you'd pay. You never know what can happen in a cycle and what bad/good surprises can pop up

You should still apply IMO. You will have an easier chance getting in there and you'll have really low tuition. It's nice to know you have a very cheap "safety" (kind of ) school. I think it's worth the extra $175 you'd pay. You never know what can happen in a cycle and what bad/good surprises can pop up
I would have to pay OOS tuition there, so no bargain for me!