Chance of acceptance (specifically for UNLV) & should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hihihi123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give any advise on if I should retake my DAT or just apply with current scores? How likely would I be accepted if I apply this upcoming cycle in June 2018?

My DAT scores are PAT-19 QR-18 RC-17 Biol-27 GC-21 OC-23 TS-24 AA-21. I know my science scores are really good, but I'm worried about my PAT, QR, and RC especially the 17 with reading. The only problem with retaking it is that I think my science scores are the best I can get so if I retake it, I would not be able to get those scores. Also, my reading skills has always been lacking so even if I improve I think the best I could do is a 20. Do they look at the individual reading score at lot? I got both A's with my 2 freshmen English classes, but I took the 2nd English class online. Do they look down on that?

My science and overall GPA is 3.94. However, I only have 35 hours of shadowing so far but I will continue to shadow over the summer. I currently have 80 volunteer hours and am one of the humanitarian officer for my school's pre-health association. I am also in a research lab for 1.5 years and going get a tutor job next semester. I am going to graduate early (in 3.5 years) with a biology degree next Fall. The school that is my first choice is UNLV because it is the only in-state school for me. Also, I'm considering University of Pacific too. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a current student at UNLV, I don't think you have much to worry about. Being a Nevada resident is huge advantage for you. As long as your application is solid, you should have a shot at a interview.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
As a current student at UNLV, I don't think you have much to worry about. Being a Nevada resident is huge advantage for you. As long as your application is solid, you should have a shot at a interview.

Thanks for the advice! Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is life as a dental student at UNLV? I heard the first 2 years are the hardest, but it gets better for the 3rd and 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is life as a dental student at UNLV? I heard the first 2 years are the hardest, but it gets better for the 3rd and 4th year.
It's a challenge, but as long as you are putting in the effort you can do just fine. The hardest part for me was figuring out time management and adapting my study skills. First half of the first semester I was a wreck and stressed to the max. Second half of first semester I was doing just fine. You just get used to the amount of stress you are exposed to. I never considered myself to be academically inclined and I am actually doing better in dental school than I did in undergrad. I have heard similar things about 3rd and 4th year being pretty chill though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a challenge, but as long as you are putting in the effort you can do just fine. The hardest part for me was figuring out time management and adapting my study skills. First half of the first semester I was a wreck and stressed to the max. Second half of first semester I was doing just fine. You just get used to the amount of stress you are exposed to. I never considered myself to be academically inclined and I am actually doing better in dental school than I did in undergrad. I have heard similar things about 3rd and 4th year being pretty chill though.

Thank you for sharing! May I ask you more questions if you don't mind? Could you share with us some features in UNLV dental school? Do they have State-of-the-art facilities and technology? Do they pay attention to community outreach program? Which one are they more focus on, research or clinic training? Do the 3rd and 4th year students need take classes or only do the internship? Thank you in advance.