MD & DO Chances? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joewildcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I was hoping anyone could shed some insight on my chances of getting into MD or DO schools with my credentials.
I recently graduated UNH with a 2.98 ugpa and a 3.0 sgpa and a B.S. In Biomedical Sciences. I am currently in a post baccalaureate program at ELMS college and as of right now I have a 4.0 in the program. However, because of the substantial number of credits I've taken ill only have a boost to about a 3.12 gpa as long as my 4.0 holds in the post bac. I have not taken my mcat yet but plan on taking it in June 2016 and getting my application in before my mcat scores are released. I am currently working as an EMT and have been full time for about 6 months. Before that I worked part time for 3 years as a pharmacy technician so my clinical experience is decent. I have experience as a biochemistry TA but have no volunteer hours or shadowing. My question for everyone is 1. What mcat score should I aim for if I want to be considered at MD or DO schools? 2. Do I have a shot even with my gpa and a high mcat at MD? 3. Could anyone give me any pointers or advice for what I should do to make myself more competitive for the 2017 application cycle?
Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is too low for MD. For DO, aim for above a 505 (ideally above 510). You also definitely need to get some shadowing in (esp. DO if going for DO). Also you should do some volunteering (doesn't have to be clinical).

Keep up the 4.0 in the post-bacc. Re-take any C's or lower; that'll boost your GPA fast for DO purposes. The higher the better on the MCAT but if you apply with a 3.1, 505+ would be an ideal target score. You might get away with less but your target should certainly be 505+.

For MD you'll likely need to ace an SMP to really generate strong consideration. If you do end up with say a 512+ and want to take a stab at your state schools and a few other lower tier MD schools if you keep up the 4.0 and end up with a 3.1 and a strong upward trend, that might be worth consideration(particularly if you are from a lucky state). But you should be under the expectation an SMP will be in order if you want to gun for the MD.

Reactions: 1 user