This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr8sian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of these questions have been beat to death but a lot of the threads I'm finding are from when GI was much less competitive or you guys are just too brilliant and don't have to deal with the same problems us mortals do lol. So I figured I'll just ask and I would really appreciate any answers and I want you all to be brutally honest. You're all freaking awesome!

Basic info:
US MD grad from middle tier university med school, am at a middle tier university residency.
Step 1: 211
Step 2: 203
Step 3: no score yet but should pass.
5 active projects (hopefully wrapped up before applying), 3 oral presentations, 16 posters, 18 publications including a few multi-institutional studies (most notable one in Gastroenterology), 2 national research grants, few random research and med school awards, and Gold Humanism (all GI related and all done during med school/residency, didn't take any years off in between). A slough of volunteer work, mentoring and leadership stuff, personal GI-related projects, and speakership. Will get pretty strong LoR's from my mentors.

1) best shot is my home program but what are my chances at outside programs like Vandy, UNC, or VCU? Or even UTSW?
2) What else can I do to boost my chances now? (current PGY2)
3) Roughly how many programs should I apply to? (been told 100, 60 and 40)
4) How do you go about getting programs to look at your app if you get auto-filtered by step scores?

I know my step scores suck, wasn't the best med student but no use crying over spilled milk now. Just kinda frustrating that I'll be filtered out a lot based on my scores from like 3-4 years ago (and FEELS like a decade ago) even though I've worked my ass off in residency. Appreciate the advice, especially from currently fellows or those who matched last year, you're a balla!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly, get good LORs, consider a Chief year, and realize that your home program might still be your best chance (make sure they like you). By doing all that you are likely to match.

Apply broadly, get good LORs, consider a Chief year, and realize that your home program might still be your best chance (make sure they like you). By doing all that you are likely to match.
Same as above.

Apply to all programs you can afford. Get super well written LORs. Get your mentor to call the programs and concentrate on your home program, which might as mentioned above be your best shot.

Do Step 3 and try to get a good mark. Get a good PD Letter also mentioning your interest in GI.

jus apply to every program out there. with your profile, you will get 20+ ivs. you can pick and choose your ivs at that point. applying <100 programs is strongly discouraged