Chances of getting into med school with an expunged record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celtics04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I'm applying to med school soon and I'm wondering what my chances are of getting in with an expunged criminal record. I was charged, but not convicted, with a class C misdemeanor for possession of paraphernalia when I was 15 years old, but it is now expunged. Then I was irresponsible enough to get charged, but again not convicted, with a class B misdemeanor for possession of marijuana when I was 17 years old, but that is also expunged. I definitely learned my lesson from the experience and started giving anti-drug talks at elementary schools since my freshman year of college. A little bit about myself, I'm African American and I have a 3.8 GPA and scored a 29 on the MCAT along with extracurriculars such as an RA position and starting a HOSA club, but I'm worried my criminal history may overshadow my hard work. What do you all think? Thanks for your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

also, I'll add that most applications ask for convictions / guilty or no contest pleas. if you've been arrested by never convicted or never plead to any charges you can honestly answer no to those questions. iirc cinci's app asks if you've ever been arrested, so that one might be hard to fill out but whatever.

Sounds like you've made a lot of changes since your teenage years, good luck with the app cycle, based on what you said his shouldn't hold you back

Hi everyone, so I'm applying to med school soon and I'm wondering what my chances are of getting in with an expunged criminal record. I was charged, but not convicted, with a class C misdemeanor for possession of paraphernalia when I was 15 years old, but it is now expunged. Then I was irresponsible enough to get charged, but again not convicted, with a class B misdemeanor for possession of marijuana when I was 17 years old, but that is also expunged. I definitely learned my lesson from the experience and started giving anti-drug talks at elementary schools since my freshman year of college. A little bit about myself, I'm African American and I have a 3.8 GPA and scored a 29 on the MCAT along with extracurriculars such as an RA position and starting a HOSA club, but I'm worried my criminal history may overshadow my hard work. What do you all think? Thanks for your comments!
You are going to be fine. People get in with Criminal records. Having an expunged record is like not having one at all! Keep your GPA up, and make sure you have all the EC boxes checked and you will be good with an LizzyM of 67!