This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryDentist

~ dental student ~
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post to SDN, so hopefully I don't seem too over-ambitious or anything of the sort.

I plan on taking the DAT in the Spring of 2019, but I would like to start reviewing this summer. I know people tend to promote a 3-4-6-8-whatever week studying plan, but I would prefer to review a bit more than that beforehand.

I know the DAT Destroyer by Dr. Romano is one of the best resources out there, including his Biology Review from the Facebook page. I am also still researching to find the best reading and PAT books that I can get for relatively cheap (I'm on a bit of a tight budget like the rest of us). I contacted Dr. Romano, and he informed me that the 2019 DAT Destroyer and supplemental books will not be released until November of 2018. The problem is, of course, I would like to start reviewing come May.

Now after all that background, allow me to ask: will there be any changes to the DAT that makes it so I MUST have the 2019 Destroyer, or will the 2018 one suffice? I know the math section has changed recently, so having the 2018 Destroyer was a good benefit for students--and Dr. Romano made it clear that you will be missing out on a ton of problems if you bought the 2017 version instead. I've tried researching online, and couldn't really find anything from the ADA or DAT websites, nor anything on SDN, that suggested there will be any further changes to the DAT next year.

My apologies for the long post, I just know that standardized tests are not my strong suit from the SAT (although I had and still have a 4.0 GPA), and I would like to do much better on the DAT. Thank you for any help!

TL;DR: Are there any new changes to the DAT coming in 2019? If so or not, will the DAT Destroyer 2018 and accompanying Math Destroyer 2018 be good resources to score well? ANy suggestions for the reading and PAT sections of the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, that's typically waaaayyy too long. The reason people keep their review/practice sessions within a couple of months is because any longer than that and you start to forget stuff. I would wait until you get closer to the time. Check back for new breakdowns on what people are using to be successful.

I took the DAT in January of this year and used the 2016 DAT and Math destroyers. The only big change I can think of would be the quantitative comparison in Math. I don't think Bio, GC, OC, RC, or PAT have changed much recently. Also, Bootcamp does a fine job with quantitative comparison and gives you plenty to work with in terms of practice so I think you'd be good to get an older version of both destroyers if you also use BC (which you should). If you use cliff's, an older destroyer, Chad's, and BC, you can do just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
I took the DAT in January of this year and used the 2016 DAT and Math destroyers. The only big change I can think of would be the quantitative comparison in Math. I don't think Bio, GC, OC, RC, or PAT have changed much recently. Also, Bootcamp does a fine job with quantitative comparison and gives you plenty to work with in terms of practice so I think you'd be good to get an older version of both destroyers if you also use BC (which you should). If you use cliff's, an older destroyer, Chad's, and BC, you can do just fine.
Thank you for that! Did you use Bootcamp for your PAT and RC study resources, or did you use any other books in addition? Also, I've heard Ari gives discounts beyond the 30% that are currently on the program price because I know it is expensive. Do you know if this rumor is true?

Thank you for that! Did you use Bootcamp for your PAT and RC study resources, or did you use any other books in addition? Also, I've heard Ari gives discounts beyond the 30% that are currently on the program price because I know it is expensive. Do you know if this rumor is true?
I hardly studied reading, but I did a couple of BC reading practice tests. The real thing was wayyyy easier than BC. I also used BC for PAT and it was insanely accurate. My average practice PAT is exactly what I got on the real thing. Also, I have no idea about the discount.