This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maritime Monarch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have scoured the site and was unable to find some assistance, so I have to post this, I know it may be a little off topic and not entirely helpful to others, but I need some help.

This is my second time taking Chemistry 2 and I just found out I failed the second test of 4, meaning I am not going to be able to pass even if I got 100 on the next 2 tests. (I did better the first time I took this class.)

I have sat with school tutors, I have spoken with the teachers, I have payed for every online study prep system and yet I am still unable to pass the test. What makes this most difficult is that my tests are all via computer and we are not allowed to take anything out of the room, meaning I do not know what I got wrong nor how to even correct my study if I did.

My class is 300+ students and the Professor (both this and last semester, she was my advisor and told me to simply drop out without any guidance) is not helpful in the least bit.

I know Chemistry is supposed to be a crucible of sorts, but I feel as though this is intensely more difficult than it should be when I am receiving great grades otherwise.

My question is, for those who have completed college and moved on, how do I surpass something like this? We only have one university in the area and I had taken Chem 1 at a different school while I was in the military. Since this is the only university, what should I do with this class? I cannot take it online and I believe dropping from here and taking the class at a community college would look even worse.

Thank you for your help, whomever is able, I understand that such grades are my own fault, but I have exhausted the options advised for me and I need to seek outside assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple things:

1. Is this the only Prof. who teaches chemistry two? Unless you're at a very small university, I highly doubt it. Why take it with the same professor a second time knowing you had trouble with the testing format? Use rate my professor and other student evaluations to make a good choice in lecturer with a teaching style you prefer.

2. The only way you are going to be able to do better on the exams is by identifying the deficiency in your studying. If the professor refuses to give you any guidance on where you are falling short, see #1 above.

3. I am assuming this is Inorganic Chem II, which means you are going to be up against Organic in the coming years. Organic I and II are much more difficult for most Pre-Meds, so keep that in mind when making a decision on how to proceed.

4. Thank you for your service, everyone on this board gets to pursue their dreams because of men and women like you!

Hope this helps!

I have scoured the site and was unable to find some assistance, so I have to post this, I know it may be a little off topic and not entirely helpful to others, but I need some help.

This is my second time taking Chemistry 2 and I just found out I failed the second test of 4, meaning I am not going to be able to pass even if I got 100 on the next 2 tests. (I did better the first time I took this class.)

I have sat with school tutors, I have spoken with the teachers, I have payed for every online study prep system and yet I am still unable to pass the test. What makes this most difficult is that my tests are all via computer and we are not allowed to take anything out of the room, meaning I do not know what I got wrong nor how to even correct my study if I did.

My class is 300+ students and the Professor (both this and last semester, she was my advisor and told me to simply drop out without any guidance) is not helpful in the least bit.

I know Chemistry is supposed to be a crucible of sorts, but I feel as though this is intensely more difficult than it should be when I am receiving great grades otherwise.

My question is, for those who have completed college and moved on, how do I surpass something like this? We only have one university in the area and I had taken Chem 1 at a different school while I was in the military. Since this is the only university, what should I do with this class? I cannot take it online and I believe dropping from here and taking the class at a community college would look even worse.

Thank you for your help, whomever is able, I understand that such grades are my own fault, but I have exhausted the options advised for me and I need to seek outside assistance.
Take it at a CC...you'll be OK.

And thank you for your service to our country.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you OP, I took trigonometry twice and only made a C the second attempt. Retaking physic 1 and the darn class is ridiculously hard still lol.
@Black Beard I feel like gen chem is a lot harder compared to organic chemistry, but this is probably due to my weak math. I got C on Gen chem 1 B Gen Chem 2 and ace the entire series of organic chemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you OP, I took trigonometry twice and only made a C the second attempt. Retaking physic 1 and the darn class is ridiculously hard still lol.
@Black Beard I feel like gen chem is a lot harder compared to organic chemistry, but this is probably due to my weak math. I got C on Gen chem 1 B Gen Chem 2 and ace the entire series of organic chemistry.
To each their own I guess. :)

Thank you all for your responses.

This is a different professor, same college, and each of them met me with very little understanding, simply noting the only way to succeed was to study more.

I completed the Lab portion with a B+ and yet I am failing the lecture to no avail, and I have already completed Organic chem 1 (Overseas it did not ahve the prerequisite of Inorganic Chem and was more on its own) with an A which is why I do not understand what is missing in my study habits this time around.

I guess my main question is, would it be better to continue with this course and receive my grade until I eventually make it? Would it be okay if I were to take this course at a community college (or would that be more negative in the eyes of a board.) Or even, would it be better to take the Lecture online since I have already completed and passed the lab separately.

Thank you again for all the help, I appreciate any advice.