Child & adolescent psychiatrists: What do you have in your office for young kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpongeBob DoctorPants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some ideas for toys, books, games, etc. to have in the office for my patients and/or their siblings. Something that would keep a child's interest but not be too noisy or distracting would be nice. What have you found that works well?

Members don't see this ad.

The Melissa & Doug puzzles with 16-pieces with a total of 6 puzzles per puzzle board. Also small wooden shape blocks. Coloring books with washable crayons. A basket filled with snakes would be a close second. :)

I prefer small things that cannot easily be turned into projectiles but can reasonably be cleaned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Decided to try the six-sided puzzles and those are great. Other things in our office that have worked well include Boogie Boards and a Rubik's Cube. We have coloring books, too, but only a few kids have found interest in those. Unfortunately, the basket of snakes didn't go over very well at all.

Reactions: 1 user
A fish tank is a good child distraction device too, especially if you've got some colorful fish, one of those treasure chest aerators, etc.
Also, goldfish are cheaper than snakes, and buying cheap snakes is worse than having no snakes at all.

Reactions: 1 user